VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have been using a Samsung SSD 840 PRO for almost five years with no problems. My next purchase will probably be again a Samsung, even though they are more expensive. As far as I know they are the only ones with a warranty of 5 or 10 years. What SSD are you using and you would recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I have been using a Samsung SSD 840 PRO for almost five years with no problems. My next purchase will probably be again a Samsung, even though they are more expensive. As far as I know they are the only ones with a warranty of 5 or 10 years. What SSD are you using and you would recommend?
    I've never used anything but Samsung, never had a problem with Samsung but had problems with other brands (I don't remember which brand it was).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used Samsung (2) and Crucial. My Samsung in my laptop died but Samsung quickly replaced it since they could not repair it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    I have used Samsung (2) and Crucial. My Samsung in my laptop died but Samsung quickly replaced it since they could not repair it.
    Now that you write it I think it was Crucial I had major problems with, not buying from this brand again!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have not had one lick of trouble from the Crucial, and it's 6 years old.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It was a low end drive with ridiculous shitty controller built in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - Samsung EVO
    - Crucial MX500

I won't buy anything else.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have three Samsung EVOs and no problems with any of them. Two in my PCs and one in my laptop.
    But with any SSD, check with the motherboard manufacturer for compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use those 2 also. And Kingston upon a time, though not any more - we get better bulk deals w the other 2.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd probably buy a Samsung drive if I needed another SSD now. SSD prices have decreased dramatically. Today the 480 GB PNY drive that I bought early last year for $120 (inexpensive at the time) is on sale for $50 at Amazon. It has a 3-year warranty.

I bought the less expensive PNY SSD because instead of a Samsung SSD because wasn't sure if an SSD was really worth the extra cost. I delayed using the SSD due to a problem with the PC that cropped up at about the same time I bought the SSD. (Replacing the PSU and SATA cables seem to have fixed it.) I just installed the PNY SSD a couple of weeks ago. So far, all is well and I like the faster load time for what is now my HTPC.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Samsung Magician reports 5,125 Read and 5,375 Write for Sequential (MB/s) and 207,035 Read and 121,100 Write for Random (IOPS). How good are these benchmark results?
    Quote Quote  
  12. "Keeping it Weird" Austinfilmstock's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Samsungs here too...sounds like a strong verdict for them in most post so far
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Samsung 860 EVO, no issues on all three of my computers, Dell Vostro, Toshiba laptop, Lenovo laptop. I suspect other brands have increased quality over time but, I have no experience with them.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I suspect other brands have increased quality over time but, I have no experience with them.
    Nope.
    Watch Linus Tech Tips on Youtube, about SSD drives.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    What do you think about the above benchmark results?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Latest (6.0.0) Samsung Magician reports around 550 Read and 350 Write for Sequential (MB/s) and 87000 Read and 77000 Write for Random (IOPS). These performance benchmark results are different from the previous results above. Does anyone know why? And again, how good are they? I would expect results for Write to be closer to Read.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 25th Sep 2019 at 17:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My WD Blue 1TB SSD has breathed new life into my old rig and has been flawless all year since I got it. Time will tell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Build my pc in 2012. For C-drive (Windows) I installed an Intel SSD. Still running. Never had a problem with it. My pc is powered on 24/7
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I am building a second system from extra parts that I have and I am thinking to either use the 840 PRO from my first system (and replace it with a 860 EVO) or buy a cheap SSD for the second system. The 840 PRO is almost five years and has less than 15TB written. What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  20. SanDisk used to build their own SSDs, they're now part of Western Digital; Crucial SSDs are made by Micron, which also makes drives under its own name. As to which is best -- I work in tech support for a university, seen a lot of Micron SSDs (OEM and other), SanDisk, Samsung (which makes their own SSDs but their hard drives are now made by Seagate), and frankly they've all held up just fine over the past few years we've been supporting them. I'd probably go for a drive with a longer warranty at whatever price point I'm looking at, but for my own home systems (and a lot of work systems) a 256gb drive is around fifty bucks, hard to go too far wrong at that price. Just remember: Backup, backup, backup!

EDIT: Oh, yeah -- use an SSD for your boot/OS drive, you can keep it small, use a larger SSD/spinner drive for data (I've got a stack of 1TB and larger SATA spinner drives for data), connect via SATA, USB2/3, eSATA, NAS, whatever, even a cheap small SSD can rejuvenate an older computer using a spinner for OS.
    Last edited by ozymango; 7th Oct 2019 at 16:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ozymango, long time no see.

It seems newer SSD are actually getting worse for speeds and reliability.
    I have some 850 4tb SSDs for video/photo.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Hi ozymango, long time no see.
    Hope you're feeling better, my friend!

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It seems newer SSD are actually getting worse for speeds and reliability.
    I have some 850 4tb SSDs for video/photo.
    Oh man, 4tb SSDs for video, that's the dream -- I don't do hardly any editing/capturing like I used to, I do some short clips here and there but not the old 2+hr 50gb HuffYUV avi files I used to have drives full, back in the day, before all the stuff I'd recorded over the years off TV came out in 1080p restored versions I could get from Amazon for ten bucks ... ah, but good times. But yeah the throughput on a capturing/recording/editing setup using all SSD drives, man that is sweet. Now I do have a big project for this winter (always "this winter" for the past five years or so) where I scan all the snapshot prints my family has taken over the years, into tiff/jpg files for the family history books, it's only a few thousand, how long could it take?
    Quote Quote  
  23. ProductChart provides a really neat way to browse what's out there:

https://www.productchart.com/ssd_drives/
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-19 13_03_40-SSD Comparison Chart.png
Views:	86
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	50590  

Creator of Video Hub App
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I suspect other brands have increased quality over time but, I have no experience with them.
    Nope.
    Watch Linus Tech Tips on Youtube, about SSD drives.
    Any possible link?
    Quote Quote