VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,
    I'm quite new at this and am about to to transfer some VHS tapes to DVD discs. The chain will simply look like: Pal VCR (s-video, in-line tbc) directly to a PAL DVD recorder (dvd discs). I've found some DVD-recorders on the local market, which one(s) do you think are better than the rest? I've read that Pioneer, LG, Toshiba, Philips, and a few models from JVC and Panasonics are the most recommended brands/models.

The LG DR4912V seems to be the only one with LSI chipset as I've been cross-checking from a lsi-logic-chipset-list , so I guess this would be a good candidate. Do Lsi-logic-chipset dvd recorders enhance visual quality, not frame sync, if I understood correctly? But is the frame sync function for the LG DR4912V still as good as the ones in other DVD recorders?

Also the pioneer dvr-520H or the dvr-5100h might seem like an alternative too
    The Panasonic DMR-ES10 is the NTSC version, but one question about it anyway: It's good as a pass-through, is it good to use as a standalone option to burn out DVD-discs, comparable to other DVD recorders? If so, is the TBC comparable to other DVD-recorders' TBCs (the good to better ones), as in reducing the loss of frames etc and not only picture quality enhancements?

I think I'll pass on the Bluray compatible players to be sure about the compatibility for old recording mediums such as vhs tapes. What about HDD recordings? I'm aware it can support higher bitrate with HDD recordings instead of transfering to DVD discs directly from the VCR, but as of today, or the more revered or good enough, recorders from a certain time span, has it gone so far that it is as stable with HDD captures with such old machines as VCRs instead of going directly to DVD-disks?

The recorders currently on the "local" market

Pioneer DV-717
    Pioneer DVR-5100H
    Pioneer DVR-520H
    Pioneer DVR-540H
    Pioneer DVR-433H-S
    LG DR7500
    LG DR4912V
    Toshiba DVD-Player SD-2109
    Philips DVD-R70
    Philips DVDR70
    Panasonic DMR-ES10
    Panasonic DMR-EX77

Maybe less prioritized ones (probably, what I heard):
    Samsung DVD-HR755
    Samsung DVD-HR750
    Sony RDR-HX750
    Sony rdr - gx210
    Sony RDR-GX220
    Sony RDR-HXD895
    Sony RDR-GX210

With the exception of the three PAL DVD recorders I mentioned before (the LG and Pioneer ones), I should look up whether the rest of the DVD recorders support PAL recordings or not.
    I'm leaning towards the LG one, (because I read that it's a common problem that the Pioneer 520H burners have been worn out by now) - unless anyone would recommend any other DVD recorder on the list here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you wanting to transfer commercially bough VHS or are they self recorded from TV, if you have any which you store bought they will probably have copy protection and you will need a time base corrector to remove the copy protection, using a tbc is a good idea even with self recorded vhs and it stabilizes the signal to the dvd recorder.

I am astounded at the rarity of tbc's on ebay, amazing.

If you are only transferring self recorded vhs then I had good success with the JVC and Panasonic dvd recorders , Pioneer also, I never "got on" with sony dvd recorders.over 5 years ago from the UK. I do not know how good vcr's with tbc's(Supposidy) are any good at removing copy protection. Like this one:-

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Panasonic-NV-FS200-S-VHS-Super-4-Head-TBC-Time-Base-Corrector/...MAAOSwuG9cbpZu

If you want to message me with what you are transferring if commercially sold I may be able to save you some work.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forget the Philips ones. Those are OLD and most likely will not work.
    Don't get ripped off. DVD Recorders died out quite a while ago. People are selling them because they don't record (or finalize) discs anymore.
    There has been a recent breakthrough in getting recordings off of DVD recorder's hard drive with ISOBuster software.....but that requires removing the hard drive from the recorder and buying ISOBuster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh yes do not buy used when you have these new choices:-

at least with amazon you have some sort of guarantee.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. I may try out computer digitizing in the near future as well. Last time I did it the video suffered from blended interlacing, like this - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392932-Getting-rid-of-frame-interpolation-in-VHS-captures , but it was perhaps not expected, but at least not super surprising considering the gear and software I had back then. Now I've upgraded to a USB-live 2 capture device and more, resting in a box atm, just in case. Having different options seems like a good idea

Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    Are you wanting to transfer commercially bough VHS or are they self recorded from TV, if you have any which you store bought they will probably have copy protection and you will need a time base corrector to remove the copy protection, using a tbc is a good idea even with self recorded vhs and it stabilizes the signal to the dvd recorder.

I am astounded at the rarity of tbc's on ebay, amazing.
    Then I'm a bit lucky because they are self recorded, so that means I don't have to struggle with copy protection I assume
    Yea, an external tbc like that wouldn't be bad at all. I heard it's a gamble nowadays to find one but also to get one working at its fullest though , the same high, risk high reward as with acclaiming a functional dvd recorder as stated in the thread

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Forget the Philips ones. Those are OLD and most likely will not work.
    Don't get ripped off. DVD Recorders died out quite a while ago. People are selling them because they don't record (or finalize) discs anymore.
    There has been a recent breakthrough in getting recordings off of DVD recorder's hard drive with ISOBuster software.....but that requires removing the hard drive from the recorder and buying ISOBuster.
    I might just try a cheap one then, hit or miss, maybe 20$ for a Pioneer recorder, or a cheaper modern one and see if it works.
    That sounds like a useful feature. Might try that out later with ISOBuster. I have mounted/demounted HDDs into computers before but it's probably trickier when it comes to dvd recorder hdds

Originally Posted by victoriabears
    If you are only transferring self recorded vhs then I had good success with the JVC and Panasonic dvd recorders , Pioneer also, I never "got on" with sony dvd recorders.over 5 years ago from the UK. I do not know how good vcr's with tbc's(Supposidy) are any good at removing copy protection. Like this one:-

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Panasonic-NV-FS200-S-VHS-Super-4-Head-TBC-Time-Base-Corrector/...MAAOSwuG9cbpZu

If you want to message me with what you are transferring if commercially sold I may be able to save you some work.
    Ok I see, there are plenty of Pioneer dvd recorders available, so I might try one of those out. Did you have any success with any LG dvd recorder?
    Hmm seems like the links are missing in your last post? If they are modern recorders, with BD or 1080 upscaling support or similar, do you think they are stable for old medium such as vcr tapes or handle these as well as the older dvd recorders?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are some LG HDD/DVD recorders and their cousin Medion recorders who have had the ability to pull the MPEG2 recordings from the hard drives.
    I have the Medion version.
    The web site for the LG/Medion is long gone but I still have the Windows software to pull the data from the discs.....now I just need to remember which LG/Medion units were involved.
    I'll do a bit of HDD searching.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    would it be any easier to just hook up your VCR/ DVD player to your PC
    and use a recording software to capture your VHS Tapes & DVDs ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't use an LSI based DVD recorder for VHS transfers, just forget about it. All non-LSI DVD recorders compound VHS noise, while LSI chipsets remove it. DVD recorders were never intended for converting VHS, but rather recording from a clean source like a DV camera or analog cable/satellite TV.

ES10 is great for passthrough, a POS for recording. Panasonic and Sony are the noisiest recorders made.

All the "new" gear is Funai-made garbage. Several brands, same unit. The quality stuff is used, and only used -- unless you find a unicorn "new old stock" unit, which does sometimes still happen.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    There are some LG HDD/DVD recorders and their cousin Medion recorders who have had the ability to pull the MPEG2 recordings from the hard drives.
    The web site for the LG/Medion is long gone but I still have the Windows software to pull the data from the discs.....now I just need to remember which LG/Medion units were involved.
    Yea, that would be good to know which models that enables or supports this, might be useful later on. I havn't heard much about the Medion versions

Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    would it be any easier to just hook up your VCR/ DVD player to your PC
    and use a recording software to capture your VHS Tapes & DVDs ??
    Yea, but wouldn't it take less time to do it the dvd recorder way, at least there are less things to setup and prepare? But I may do that later on, configuring VDub or Amarectv and so on. At the moment, the main hindrance is the gamble to get a full frame tbc that works pretty good at least for direct PC captures through USB dongles or capture cards, but I may do that later
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    If you don't use an LSI based DVD recorder for VHS transfers, just forget about it. All non-LSI DVD recorders compound VHS noise, while LSI chipsets remove it. DVD recorders were never intended for converting VHS, but rather recording from a clean source like a DV camera or analog cable/satellite TV.

ES10 is great for passthrough, a POS for recording. Panasonic and Sony are the noisiest recorders made.

All the "new" gear is Funai-made garbage. Several brands, same unit. The quality stuff is used, and only used -- unless you find a unicorn "new old stock" unit, which does sometimes still happen.
    The safest bet for now should be to settle for the LG LSI one then, as it's the only one with that kind of chipset here on the local market currently. That should get off to a pretty steady foundation to work with, theoretically at least. Just got to wait and see in what practical condition the device is when it arrives
    Ok, I see, about the ES10's primary usage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Desve View Post
    Yea, that would be good to know which models that enables or supports this, might be useful later on. I havn't heard much about the Medion versions
    Just found the site again.....didn't know it was still up.
    LG HDD DVD Recorder dump software and model list.
    If the software is missing from the site, I have it.
    http://ifndef.altervista.org/index_eng.html
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by Desve View Post
    Just found the site again.....didn't know it was still up.
    LG HDD DVD Recorder dump software and model list.
    If the software is missing from the site, I have it.
    http://ifndef.altervista.org/index_eng.html
    Good one, will check it out in the near future
    Quote Quote