VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I've done this several times in the past without a problem, until just now with the latest release 1.14.4. Can't recall offhand whether this was done over top of the previous version. This time I tried to uninstall the previous version first, which looked to have worked, but then it turned out that there were some files left over in the MakeMKV directory. The 1.14.4 install complained that the folder was not empty, so I moved those files out to a backup location elsewhere, then tried to redo the install. Never got to where you apply the temporary key, because the program keeps saying that it encountered a fatal error and must terminate. Huh ? So, I was left with NO MakeMKV at all. Not good. [The Win 7 registry does not appear to contain anything from MakeMKV other than the program name and location. (?) ] I managed to put the older files back into the original program folder instead, and this seemed to accept the latest temp key. But this leaves it at ver. 1.12.3. Where did I go wrong, and how to correct this ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Run an uninstaller like Glary Utilities or Revo Uninstaller. There are lots of registry entries are left behind by an incomplete/corrupted uninstall.

Edit: I just downloaded and successfully installed 1.14.4. Win 10 X64
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I tried it your way -- using Revo 4. Found a lot of leftover stuff, and ripped it all out by the roots.
    (With the standard Revo mode: did not look into 'Advanced', the "Hunter" feature, or whatever.)
    Re-installed 1.14.4, into Win 7 Ultimate x64. Same result: "A fatal error occurred, and the program will Exit.", or words to that effect. I was lucky to be able to get it back to a functioning 1.12.3. Not very satisfactory . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to remove the makemkv profile directory.
    I use Linux so i don't know the exact path but usually it is in your user directory
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever has been suggested to me here has failed. Complete uninstalls with Revo, deleted all Registry entries and the MakeMKV profile directory, reinstalled the current version a few days prior to its expiration. Never even got as far as being able to input the temp key: the program when invoked logs a few errors and then promptly dies.

SCSi Error: ILLEGAL REQUEST: 'INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE'

then a "failure to download _____ (something or other, didn't catch it . . . )

"Fatal Error Occurred, Program Will Now Exit"

I don't see what else there could be to do, other than to take this to the developer -- if he is reachable and responsive to such things.
    I'm quite willing to purchase a license for this program, so long as there is a solution to this that works . . . and sticks, through subsequent updates.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Might be a chance to show us a rather complete log file (if it exists) via a CODE block or pastebin entry...

"SCSi Error" sounds like issues accessing the optical drive, a reason for that may be outside MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Whatever has been suggested to me here has failed. Complete uninstalls with Revo, deleted all Registry entries and the MakeMKV profile directory, reinstalled the current version a few days prior to its expiration. Never even got as far as being able to input the temp key: the program when invoked logs a few errors and then promptly dies.

SCSi Error: ILLEGAL REQUEST: 'INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE'

"Fatal Error Occurred, Program Will Now Exit"

I don't see what else there could be to do, other than to take this to the developer -- if he is reachable and responsive to such things.
    I'm quite willing to purchase a license for this program, so long as there is a solution to this that works . . . and sticks, through subsequent updates.
    see this - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14439
    and this - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/search.php?keywords=%22Fatal+Error+Occurred%2C+Program+W...ll+Now+Exit%22
    Last edited by october262; 30th Jul 2019 at 01:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have always just run the update and Makemkv first uninstalls and then update version is installed - completely transparent operation... never bothered with uninstalling manually, just leave it to the MakeMKV package.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Makemkv needs to download this file to operate, maybe your firewall is blocking it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'll check the links in post #7 as soon as I have time and report back. Also see if there is any log file I can find.

Re posts #6 & 8: DVDfab has no problem accessing that external BR drive . . . nor did MakeMKV prior to this. (I did not know you could install a new version over top of the prior one.) Tried BDtoAVCHD, which just hangs, but then I don't know how to use that program yet. My impression is that it requires the BR disc to have been ripped and freed of copy protections, before it could accomplish anything ?

I don't have any firewall operating, so I don't see where a file needed for download could be blocked.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to start makemkv without the external drive attached, if it will start then the problem resists in your external drive, or access to that drive.

If it doesn't try to restore your windows to a date prior to you messed around with this issue. Then install makemkv on top of the old one (the installer will remove the old version like others have said)

If that doesn't help.. well re install your Windows would be a option
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 2nd. of the links in post #7 appears more relevant to me . . . and apparently many have run into this error over the last few years, although under varying circumstances. (Some of them were Mac users.) I'm going to check on the JRE angle, which one user reported.

If access to or use of the external BR drive was compromised, one would not expect other programs that use it to work either, yet they do. Even more telling perhaps is that the 2 or 3 times I reverted all the MakeMKV program files back to whatever that previous version was (in the ver. 12_ #s maybe -- hope I can narrow that down), the program resumed loading and working. It just wasn't capable then of processing discs from the last couple years, which were employing contemporary protections. But it would not crash like that, and could still handle somewhat older discs normally.

Any major OS dialing back or reinstalls just totally eff' up way too many other -- and more important ! -- things, so that "option" is not on the table. What I could do is install the new version (&/or key) that is due to come out very shortly onto a Win-10 box that has never had MakeMKV on it, and see where we stand re this puzzling and very annoying error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you asked on the MakeMKV forum ? https://www.makemkv.com/forum/
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Have you asked on the MakeMKV forum ? https://www.makemkv.com/forum/
    That will be next. I checked my Java version, and it was just updated a week or so ago -- apparently the latest one for W7 x64. If there is some relevant log file, I'll have to see where it might be.
    Quote Quote