VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    since a few days i am trying to recover 3 short mp4 clips I recorded with my screen capture a while ago. But when i try to play them with any software, i get an error the file is corrupted (Error 0xc00d36c4 in Windows Media Player).
    I already tried every software i found, and actually was able to recover the audio of one of them using videorepair from grauonline, by using a similar clip which still worked. But that worked for only one of the three files.
    Does anyone know a software or other way i can maybe recover this? I actually only need the sound, the video itself isnt that important. Maybe there is some way to rescue the sound?
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try installing a codec pack like K-Lite Codec Pack or try using VLC media player and see if your files will play.

https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I would try the Full/Mega variant of the installer if installing that codec pack.

If all you want is the audio, I guess you could try extracting it from the MP4 with Yamb and see if that will work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried both.
    With the Codec Pack, VLC Player still isnt able to play the files, When I try importing the files into Yamb I either get an exception or nothing shows up at all.
    Do you maybe know a software to recover sound from broken files?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If neither of those options worked, then your files have clearly been corrupted somehow. I don't know of any other sure way to get what you want out of the file. Usually corrupted files are broken files and lost data.

You might be able to load the audio in audio editing software like Audacity and then save it in another format. You could give that try by trying to open the mp4 file in the audio editing software.

If that will not work, the only other idea I have is try muxing your mp4 into MKV with MKVMerge, and see if you can extract or run your audio from the MKV file.

If neither of those can get you your audio recovered, good luck getting the corrupted file data recovered.

Try those 2 options and see if they work. If they do not work, and if they are not gigantic files and you give one to me, I can have a go at it and see if I can get anything from it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Load the defective files into a hexadecimal editor : do you see a valid header ? A valid MP4 header should contain “ftyp” on the first line (just check the header of a few valid files, then check the corrupt ones).
    Do you have any idea how those files could get corrupted ? What are their sizes ? If size = 0, or a few KB, obviously, there's nothing to recover.
    Quote Quote