VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a - preferrably free - Windows software to perform the following workflow:

- Import video with audio track. In most cases this will be a trimmed 720p recording (with 2ch or 5.1ch AC3 audio) from DVB-C.

- Import 2nd audio track from another source (DVD I own)

- Visually sync 2nd audio to video by adjusting its position and/or duration (this is the main point!)

- Export synced 2nd audio to multiplex with original video or export complete video with two audio tracks.

The video itself is not altered in the process.

(I tried to import original and 2nd audio into Audacity as a multitrack project, but its almost impossible to get both tracks in sync. Audacity's time stretching feature is not exact enough to sync e.g. the door slam in the beginning and the gunshot at the end of the movie in both audio tracks.)

I've read through quite a few reviews of free Windows editing software, but no feature list or demo mentions what I need.

Any hints highly appreciated,
    Low
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post

(I tried to import original and 2nd audio into Audacity as a multitrack project, but its almost impossible to get both tracks in sync. Audacity's time stretching feature is not exact enough to sync e.g. the door slam in the beginning and the gunshot at the end of the movie in both audio tracks.)
    I assume it's off by a very small amount, a few tens of milliseconds at most by the end, after doing the timestretch. So, either add small amounts of silence or cut small amounts of silence at various points throughout the film until it comes into synch.

And you're sure both sources have the same framecount - have identical video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not easy is it?
    I've been doing stuff like this for a LONG time.
    I think if I bought two of the same DVDs, at the same time, at the same store.....
    I'd have trouble combining the video from one DVD with the audio from the other.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    And you're sure both sources have the same framecount - have identical video?
    We must assume that it's the same cut of the movie in both cases. Otherwise, we're basically screwed. But even with an identical movie, DVD and DVB come with different company logos before the actual movie starts. This is the easiest case by far and can easily be corrected by moving the entire 2nd audio back and forth in Audacity.

I other cases, when the door slam in the beginning of the movie is adjusted across both audio tracks, the gunshot at the end of the movie happens at totally different time. I'm looking for a more versatile solution by using a video editor to check sync on the fly (without muxing Audacity exports first).

When syncing subtitles with Subtitle Edit, you can do excatly what I'm looking for, with the subtitle stream acting as a rubber band. "Pinning" the first subtitle to the same frame of the movie and then move along and insert as many "pins" as needed to get the same timeline in both subtitles. The software evens out all subtitle frames between pins, and in the end, everthing is in its right place.

(I'm aware that rubber-banding an audio stream technically is totally different from a subtitle stream, but you get the idea.)

I've been doing stuff like this for a LONG time.
    Me too, but I'm pretty confident that there is a more modern solution out there that uses stretching and syncing, marking and pulling methods that have not been around back in the days. Hey, we are shooting and editing HD videos on our phones now!!

CU,
    LOw
    Quote Quote