VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently using OBS in window capture mode but expect this query would be the same for most screen capture software. What I'm attempting to understand is at what level does this software actually record the video? My monitor (UHD TV), in PC mode, tends to display a little low on gamma and a little high on contrast at a "happy medium" setting. While tweaking these I perceived no difference in captured levels. As an experiment I lowered brightness levels to near 0 and proceeded to capture what, for all intent and purpose, was a black screen. I was surprised when the resulting capture was a fully viewable picture at the levels I was seeing in earlier captures.

So, is "screen capture" somewhat misleading in description since it's technically not WYSIWYG? In the outside chance if it were ever deemed necessary are there any levels of "display/monitor" adjustment that will effect the resultant captured file?

**EDIT** -- I just wanted to add that I do understand the monitor is in essence at the end of the system chain and should have no influence on capture properties. It's just that in my mind the words "Screen Capture" always evoked the WYSIWYG belief. Simply looking to be sure any streamed video color manipulation is only possible via the capture software during the capture or while post processing (or outside chance the streaming service offers color controls).
    Last edited by Golem; 4th Jun 2019 at 16:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    It captures the image that's being sent to the screen. How your hardware presents it takes place after that process. In my mind, the ideal capture would be one that will play back a video exactly as you would see on your screen "live". This means color space and RGB range must be set correctly in the capture software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IIRC, it captures what is being sent to the screen/overlay rendering API and/or video driver. This can sometimes be changed. Differing renderers have had differing default color settings.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Much appreciate the replies!

Exactly the type of answers I was in search of.
    Quote Quote