VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I have three video clips and a 10-second title clip (created in V-dub - no audio) that I wish to append as one.

Now, the first video clip has sound. But the second clip has no sound, while the third one does.

The trouble is that when I use Avidemux to append them, they ALL come out with no sound. How can I fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. you would need to add blank audio to the 2nd clip
    Quote Quote  
  3. Please explain, I don't understand.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can only append clips that match

If one clip does not have audio, you need to add blank (silent) audio with the same specs as the other clips (same format, same codec, same sampling rate, same bit depth).
    Quote Quote  
  5. How do I add blank audio?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can create a blank audio clip in a sound editor (e.g. Audacity) - I strongly recommend you exactly match the length with the length of the video portion, and match the specs (samplerate, bitdepth, codec, bitrate, etc) with the clips you're appending to. Then multiplex the sound clip with the video clip, prior to appending.

You could also do it programmatically in AVISynth, but then, you'd probably be doing the appending in it as well.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, I prefer to do it in Avisynth. Is there a script that I can use to accomplish this? Thanks.

Also, can I match the specs in Avisynth? If so, how do I do this?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Avisynth is probably the best way for me to go here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Why would you reencode (required if using AviSynth) when you only want to append?

Just redo your title clip with the same kind of audio as the others, but silent. Or create and then mux a silent audio clip, perhaps doing it as explained by Cornucopia. And the first and third videos do have the same attributes for both audio and video, don't they?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I figured out an easier way to do this, and my task is complete: I originally used Killaudio on my second clip to remove the sound. However, this completely eliminates the audio and thus, makes it incompatible with clip 1 and clip 3 (which do have sound). As a result, Virtualdub or Avidemux would not allow me to append them.

To solve the problem, I did a little research on some old threads. I learned that I can simply replace Killaudio with Amplify(0). This allows the clip to still have a sound property, but no actual sound. I did this, and I appended my 3 files and that's the end of that. I would pull what's left of my hair out if I had do to it Cornucopia's way.

By the way, I appreciate the help here but this is the answer I was looking for. You guys just kept telling me to "create a blank clip", but did not explain HOW to do it. At the same token, I probably should have been more clear. Yet, maybe you guys take your own knowledge on these things for granted and perhaps feel that everyone else knows what you know. But I for one am still learning this stuff.

Please don't get me wrong, I like this website and people here can be helpful. But sometimes, the advice given here feels like I'm being asked to use a positron collider just to unlock a cabinet door.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    By the way, I appreciate the help here but this is the answer I was looking for. You guys just kept telling me to "create a blank clip", but did not explain HOW to do it.
    Nonsense. Do you forget about your posts right after making them? This thread showed how to create title clips:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393326-Adding-solid-black-frames-with-avisynth#post2552271

Earlier in the thread scripts are shown explaining how to create a BlankClip with audio. In addition, the BlankClip page at the AviSynth site explains everything in detail with examples for its use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BTW, doing what I suggested in Audacity looks like this:
    1. Open app
    2. FileMenu | Generate | Silence
    3. set time
    4. Save/Export your file
    Didn't think that needed to be explicitly spelled out.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 4th Jun 2019 at 16:45.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Didn't think that needed to be explicitly spelled out.
    Believe it or not, Scott, sometimes "explicitly spelling it out" does help. Especially for someone who has never used Audacity.

Or I could just add Amplify(0) to the clip I wish to silence and call it a day.

And by the way, I take your arrogance and use it as toilet paper.

Believe it or not, not everyone is going to bow down and sing praises to you (or Manono for that matter) for every piece of advice you give here.

Jerkoff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whatever, dude. That app is certainly more straightforward to use than AVISynth, which you seem to be doing OK with. Not a big stretch to expect you to try it first.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. That app is certainly more straightforward to use than AVISynth
    Your opinion. Which by the way, is a valid one!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sorry about the "jerkoff" comment, but seriously----there are enough arrogant people who post on this website. Once upon a time, you too needed something "spelled out" for you. Let's not forget the name of this website is videoHELP.com, not videoBELITTLE.com
    Quote Quote  
  17. No one is expecting you to "bow down and sing praises". But I don't think it's too much to ask for you to show a modicum of common sense and for you to pay attention to the advice you've been given. You can try all you want to point the finger elsewhere for your own shortcomings, but you're fooling no one.`

Audacity is a basic tool here, for those of us that rely on such freeware as Audacity, AviSynth, and Virtual Dub to help in our hobby. I don't think it was out of line for Cornucopia to expect you to have at least a passing familiarity with it. Your gratuitous insults after he explained how to do it were out of line. By the way, I don't believe that Amplify use you discovered is documented, and I know I've never heard of it being used that way. So, good going on that.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I don't think it was out of line for Cornucopia to expect you to have at least a passing familiarity with it.
    It wasn't out of line at all for him to expect me to have familiarity with it. Did he presume a bit, though? Maybe. After all, he doesn't know me, and has no idea what I know and don't know. Oh, yeah--and neither do you. Isn't this why it's called videohelp.com? Otherwise, what's the point?

Your gratuitous insults after he explained how to do it were out of line.
    You mean after he made that sarcastic comment about having to "spell it out" for me? Absolutely not; they weren't out of line. I have every right to defend myself as the next person. Just because I'm unfamiliar with something does not give someone else the right to disrespect me. And I certainly don't have to take anyone's shit.

By the way, I don't believe that Amplify use you discovered is documented, and I know I've never heard of it being used that way. So, good going on that.
    Wow, imagine that! Hey everybody, the great and wise Manono has never heard of it being used that way, so it can't be true! Gasp! I must have imagined the whole thing (despite the fact that it um...WORKED!!). Manono, I've read many of your posts here over the years. You come off as an arrogant ass.hole. So I could give a rat's ass what you believe or don't believe. It's a very old thread documented here and AlanHK mentioned it. But if you don't believe me, I'm not losing sleep over it. Trust me. Amplify can most certainly be used that way, and if you didn't know that, you just learned something new today. But thick-headed arrogant ass.holes think they know everything, so of course, if they've never heard of it---can't be true!

And while I'm at it---shut up. Cornucopia and I are kissing and making up, and you're ruining a perfectly good and sentimental moment with your bullshit.
    Last edited by Betelman; 4th Jun 2019 at 21:29.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    It's a very old thread documented here and AlanHK mentioned it. But if you don't believe me, I'm not losing sleep over it. Trust me. Amplify can most certainly be used that way, and if you didn't know that, you just learned something new today.
    Geez, do you have a massive inferiority complex or something? By 'documented' I meant in the AviSynth documentation. I already knew you had dug it up somewhere in an old post here, so why wouldn't I believe you? As for learning something new, yes and no. I'll stick with the more traditional ways of adding audio to video, ones such as the one Cornucopia mentioned using Audacity, or the way I mentioned in the thread to which I linked earlier:

A=Trim(Last,0,1000)###1000=last frame before black frame insertion
    B=BlankClip(Last,Length=10)###Insert 10 black frames with same characteristics (including silent audio) as rest of video
    C=Trim(Last,1001,0)### resume video after insertion of black frames
    A++B++C###AlignedSplice

Feel free to have the last word.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I knew about the Amplify() trick, but, depending upon the length, it can take longer to execute than BlankClip, etc.

To each his/her own.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  21. Oh....c'mere you two and give me a big old hug!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Isn't it obvious that Amplify(0) would silence the audio track? And it is fully documented in the AviSynth docs:

Amplify multiplies the audio samples by amount... You can use... (a) scale factor between 0 and 1... for reducing volume.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes jagabo, come...you get hugsies too. We always have room for one more.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Isn't it obvious that Amplify(0) would silence the audio track?
    Yes, of course, but he had originally said his video had no audio and he was implying it would create one in the process:

Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    Hello. I have three video clips and a 10-second title clip (created in V-dub - no audio) that I wish to append as one.

Now, the first video clip has sound. But the second clip has no sound, while the third one does.

The trouble is that when I use Avidemux to append them, they ALL come out with no sound. How can I fix this?
    The title of this thread is, "appending video clips with sound and clips without sound".

Only later do we come to find out the original video contained audio and he only needed to silence it, quite a different thing. But yes, I missed that he was using Amplify(0) on a clip that already had audio. Had he mentioned that earlier no one would have had to waste time explaining how to create silent audio using one method or another. All he had to do from the beginning was to ask how to silence audio and this thread would have been over after a couple of replies. Instead...
    Quote Quote  
  25. Yes, manono absolutely. Tell us more, honeycakes.
    Quote Quote  
  26. What's that? Jagabo is now going to express his follow-up thoughts on the matter? Oh goody I can't wait to read it! Go on honeycakes, go on and show us your jerk pecs! *puts my arm around Cornucopia's shoulder and continues to mumch on popcorn*
    Quote Quote  
  27. Go on honeycakes, we're waiting. Post your ever-so-brilliant observations on your own ideas. Yoohoo! Oh geez Cornucopia manono's head is up his ass again. Tsk tsk...what's that? .....oh it's usually up there?? Ohhhh!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    Go on honeycakes, we're waiting. Post your ever-so-brilliant observations on your own ideas. Yoohoo! Oh geez Cornucopia manono's head is up his ass again. Tsk tsk...what's that? .....oh it's usually up there?? Ohhhh!
    Hey man, you're insulting the very best people here at VideoHelp.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Shut up, and mind your own business.
    Quote Quote  
  30. It's because of people like you who go around these threads kissing their asses that they probably think they can get away with being so arrogant.
    Quote Quote