VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are others thoughts about adding a rating/rank system that would show up on the members profile. There are a couple of handfuls of regulars here that I wholeheartedly support (and try to show that support by endorsing their post when possible) because of their knowledge and patience with other posters, especially new members.

I often see threads filled with outdated or incorrect info, particularly from new members who pass on what they've seen on Youtube, read somewhere or worked for them (with low quality). Often, the advice given by the members with a known (to those who have been here a while) is ignored because faster, cheaper, easier and good enough sways those who don't know better. Sometimes causing them to return with "Why don't my captures look as good as someone else's?" *SIGH*
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    What are others thoughts about adding a rating/rank system that would show up on the members profile.
    VBulliten can easily add this feature, but it requires a non-trivial database upgrade. The system usually works without issue, but a lot of people just don't want to deal with it from an administrative perspective. If they do however, I'd strongly suggest disabling negative ratings and only leave thanks or like buttons, with no disagreement buttons.

The sites with negative rep are consistently more hostile than the ones that lack it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +1

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I strongly oppose such a change for a number of reasons:

1) It promotes and encourages "group think" while discouraging people thinking for themselves.

2) It promotes "cliques" where a small group will constantly "rep" or "+1" each other while leaving "negs" or "-1" to those not in their clique.

If you want to see what this type of system does go visit the bodybuilding.com forums, where group think is rampant, certain beliefs are taken as gospel and if anyone dares to challenge them they get bombarded with negative reputation points (or banned).

Any time i see these types of setups I'm reminded of Einstein and the paper the Nazi party had commissioned against him titled "100 scientists against Einstein", where they got 100 physicists to give reasons why Relativity was wrong. When a reporter ask Einstein for a comment on the paper he replied "If I was wrong, one would have been enough".
    Quote Quote