VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone had this problem?

Using DVDFab, when copying from the original store bought UHD disc (in this case "The Prestige") or coping from the decrypted files created by MakeMKV, the Blu-ray copy, made on 50GB Verbatim blank discs, the picture jumps and jerks and stutters when played back in my standalone Panasonic DP-UB820 4k player.

Initially the DVDFab people thought that maybe I was burning the Blu-ray too fast. But then I tried using ImgBurn at 1x, and still the picture jumps. So, I've still got the same problem.

Anyone experienced this or know of a possible solution? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What basic troubleshooting have you done?
    Have you played the image on the PC to see if that plays OK?

Have you attempted to play your disk on a second blu-ray player or on the PC?

Have you tried burning at half the maximum speed What media are you using?

It should not be this difficult to determine if it's a bad burn Vs. something wrong with the image
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks davexnet!

I'm using Verbatim 50GB discs. And yes, I tried burning at 1x, and not just with the DVDFab burner, but also with ImgBurn. That's five 50GB coasters I've made so far. Oh well.

But I have not tried playing the video on my PC. I'll do that the moment I get back home from work. And though I only have one 4k player, the Panasonic DP-UB820, I suppose I could go into a nearby Best Buy and try a player there.

I'm on the case!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LloydS View Post
    Has anyone had this problem?

Using DVDFab, when copying from the original store bought UHD disc (in this case "The Prestige") or coping from the decrypted files created by MakeMKV, the Blu-ray copy, made on 50GB Verbatim blank discs, the picture jumps and jerks and stutters when played back in my standalone Panasonic DP-UB820 4k player.

Initially the DVDFab people thought that maybe I was burning the Blu-ray too fast. But then I tried using ImgBurn at 1x, and still the picture jumps. So, I've still got the same problem.

Anyone experienced this or know of a possible solution? Thanks!
    does the Panasonic DP-UB820 4k player have the latest firmware update ??

start imgburn - click tools - settings - write - page1 - tic (Perform OPC Before Write ) - click ok and retry burning again.
    Last edited by october262; 24th May 2019 at 14:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    >does the Panasonic DP-UB820 4k player have the latest firmware update ??

Yes, I just installed the player three days ago and the first thing I did was to install the latest firmware.

>start imgburn - click tools - settings - write - page1 - tic (Perform OPC Before Write )

I'll try it!

Thanks for the advice!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone else is having, or may in the future have this same problem, here is the thread I'm also posting in at the DVDFab forum, where, as yet, there is little to be found, so far, by way of a solution.

https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab-english/general-questions/368433-copying-4k-movie...ters-and-jumps
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, now I've tried:
    1. >Playing the image on the PC to see if that plays OK?

Result: It's the same whether on my PC or on my TV from. Jerky. Stuttery.

2. >Setting ImgBurn like this: start imgburn - click tools - settings - write - page1 - tic (Perform OPC Before Write )

Result: No change. Still jerky and stuttery.

I would say then that neither my Blu-ray player, Imgburn, or TV is at fault. To my mind then, it's starting to look like the problem rests with the DVD Fab program.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try cdspeed as mentioned in this post to see if the disk is unreadable and/or get a quality score

This utility probably will not work if your unit is external, eg. usb-attached. Is it?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392533-Verbatim-AZO-8-5-GB-disk#post2545321
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, now I've tried:
    1. >Playing the image on the PC to see if that plays OK?

Result: It's the same whether on my PC or on my TV from. Jerky. Stuttery.

2. >Setting ImgBurn like this: start imgburn - click tools - settings - write - page1 - tic (Perform OPC Before Write )

Result: No change. Still jerky and stuttery.

I would say then that neither my Blu-ray player, Imgburn, or TV is at fault. To my mind then, it's starting to look like the problem rests with the DVD Fab program.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    start dvdfab - click common settings - AV Codec - tic ( Disable all GPU codecs for decoding and encoding ) everything will switch to software
    restart dvdfab and re copy your disc again and re burn and see if it still jerky & stuttery.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All these years later and I still haven't pulled the trigger on Blu Ray burning.
    This is why.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does the actual ripped movie play fine before being burned I.E in mpc-hc etc? Also does your player have a USB port you can try the mkv playback from? May save you a few expensive coasters
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Do a test using a plain MKV UHD rip from MakeMKV. It seems more likely that re-encoding/transcoding the UHD video to fit on a BD DL disc is the cause of this problem than burning it to BD DL media.

You may need to play the MakeMKV rip with your UHD Blu-ray player. If you can, store the MakeMKV UHD rip on a USB 3.0 portable hard drive or USB 3.0 USB stick with sufficient capacity. Your UHD Blu-ray player supports file playback from USB 3.0 storage devices.

PCs usually don't play UHD HEVC content smoothly unless the GPU can decode HEVC. ...but if your PC is equipped with a suitable GPU, I recommend using the latest VLC for playback, especially if the PC has an HD screen. The latest VLC can do tone-mapping for BT 2020 and HDR content.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th May 2019 at 14:42.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I'm 95% sure that DVDFab is where the error is:

Why? Because I decrypted the movie (The Prestige) with MakeMKV and that plays perfectly on my PC. But then, in the next step, if you use DVDFab to be able to copy the decrypted file to a 50GB Blu-ray, both the Blu-ray and the main movie file that DVDFab creates stutter and jerk both on your PC and on your TV as played back with a 4k player.

Following october262's advice, "start DVDFab - click common settings - AV Codec - tic ( Disable all GPU codecs for decoding and encoding ) everything will switch to software, restart DVDFab and re copy your disc again and re burn and see if it still jerky & stuttery", I did just so and have a 4k Blu-ray "cooking." But it's been at 12% now for 2 hours, so it'll be a while, which negates the main reason for using DVDFab, namely speed in burning a 4k copy.

Current conclusion: There is still no way (that I know of) to copy a 4k Blu-ray reasonably quickly (within 5 hours). DVDFab seems to have a good idea started, but it still needs some work. I say, give 'em some time and hopefully they'll get there.

On the other hand, maybe someone here knows of a way to copy a 4k movie reasonably quickly with good results, that they have personally had good success with repeatedly?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    if the MKV plays fine and your just trying to archive it then burn the MKV file to a disc and see if the player plays it. Grant it you'll have no menu but you'll have a backup. Cinavia is bound to be a issue on some titles though but that's a whole separate thread with options.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I'm 95% sure that DVDFab is where the error is:

Why? Because I decrypted the movie (The Prestige) with MakeMKV and that plays perfectly on my PC. But then, in the next step, if you use DVDFab to be able to copy the decrypted file to a 50GB Blu-ray, both the Blu-ray and the main movie file that DVDFab creates stutter and jerk both on your PC and on your TV as played back with a 4k player.

Following october262's advice, "start DVDFab - click common settings - AV Codec - tic ( Disable all GPU codecs for decoding and encoding ) everything will switch to software, restart DVDFab and re copy your disc again and re burn and see if it still jerky & stuttery", I did just so and have a 4k Blu-ray "cooking." But it's been at 12% now for 2 hours, so it'll be a while, which negates the main reason for using DVDFab, namely speed in burning a 4k copy.

Current conclusion: There is still no way (that I know of) to copy a 4k Blu-ray reasonably quickly (within 5 hours). DVDFab seems to have a good idea started, but it still needs some work. I say, give 'em some time and hopefully they'll get there.

On the other hand, maybe someone here knows of a way to copy a 4k movie reasonably quickly with good results, that they have personally had good success with repeatedly?
    what are the specs of your computer and what kind of graphics card
    do you have ?? make sure it has the minim system requirements - https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-copy.htm?trackID=headmenu2#tech_specs
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dannyboy4888:
    >Does the actual ripped movie play fine before being burned I.E in mpc-hc etc?

Answer: Yes

>if the MKV plays fine and you're just trying to archive it then burn the MKV file to a disc and see if the player plays it.

Answer: That's the problem. UHD (4k) movies are larger than 50GB Blu-rays. In this particular case with the movie The Prestige, the size of the MKV file is 54.6GB, and in reality, especially to avoid writing onto the edges of a disc, you probably only have about 46GB of available space on the "50" GB Blu-ray blank.. So then the problem becomes how to get that onto a 50GB Bluray disc? DVDFab professes to be able to do that in a very short period of time using late generation graphics cards. Otherwise, you're looking at 20+ hours using other programs like, for instance, BD Rebuilder, and that one has stalled out on me several times.

Thus my appeal to the experts here who may know of a faster way or faster software that can significantly shorten the time to shrink and then write a 4k movie onto a 50GB blank disk.

Also note that 100GB blank discs are darn expensive, though I did recently see a Verbatim 10pk going for about $5.50 per disc. By contrast, 50GB Bluray blanks are ~$2.35 ea, and 25GB Bluray blanks are about 80 cents each, all if bought in bulk.

So, the idea is to minimize cost by shrinking these very large 4k movies down >50GB to then be playable on a stand alone Blu-ray player at very high quality virtually indistinguishable from the original.

Why don't I just put them on a NAS with twin 10TB drives (one for back up)? Too iffy for my taste. The NAS could go down. The drives are expensive and could fail, so you always have to back up. Still, very doable. But I just prefer the actual hard disc that I can play in any player. These are however only back-ups of my original, store bought 4ks, so it's not really critical. But I do like the idea of keeping the originals in pristine condition, stored away from dirty hands and accidental scratches.
    Last edited by LloydS; 25th May 2019 at 23:15.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quick and dirty way would be to strip the audio to its core stream in makemkv. If its lossless that could get you 2-11gb saved and get it where it will fit. To most listeners you won't notice too much of a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion dannyboy4888! But I suppose my standards for audio are too high. I use a 7.1 stereo system that can play Atmos and audio is super important to me.

Besides which, I expect the DVDFab system, that I paid for, to work. So far, I haven't found a real guide (by a user) that actually works, nor have I found even one person who has successfully copied a 4k disc onto a 50GB Blu-ray using DVDFab!

So I persist.
    Quote Quote  
  19. 1. make sure its the 64bit version of dvdfab
    2. i have done 100s in dvdfab, while encoding with cpu ( 32core 2990wx) and never had any issues on playback and work in all my familys players that borrow them from me
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey october262. Yes, I meet and exceed the minimum requirements. I made sure of that before buying the DVDFab lifetime everything package, installing the correct Blu-ray burner with the correct version, and by buying and installing a "MSI GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card" from Newegg into my computer. True, my processor is not Kaby Lake or above, but the minimum requirements are either a Kaby Lake processor OR a high end video card.

Here are the actual minimum requirements from the page you referenced:

★ Windows 10/8.1/8/7 (64-bit)
    ★ 4GB of RAM and above
    ★ 200GB of free hard disk space
    ★ A 4K UHD Blu-ray drive, see our Supported Drive List.
    ★ For the 4K HW Acceleration to work, you need:
    Either the CPUs from Intel Kaby Lake series and above;
    Or, the video cards from NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 series and above
    ★ Live Internet connection required to register DVDFab (little network traffic used)

My Processor is a "Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz"
    My motherboard is an "Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX"

Those should not be a hindrance to completing the 4k copy successfully.

By the way, as for your suggestion, "start dvdfab - click common settings - AV Codec - tic ( Disable all GPU codecs for decoding and encoding ) everything will switch to software - restart dvdfab and re copy your disc again and re burn and see if it still jerky & stuttery. "

I tried that, but it stayed at 12% for 5 hours, and then I finally gave up.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hdfills:

>1. make sure its the 64bit version of dvdfab

Yes, I am using the 64 bit version. I did see in the DVDFab notes that that is the only one that could accomplish the copying of 4k originals

>2. i have done 100s in dvdfab, while encoding with cpu ( 32core 2990wx) and never had any issues on playback and work in all my familys players that borrow them from me.

Just to be sure I understand correctly, you are saying that you've copied 100's of 4k originals and shrunk them down to 50GB and perhaps 25GB blank Blu-rays, correct? If so, I would be most grateful if you could screen shot your DVDFab settings to where I could copy them and try them out as well. Or perhaps you could point me to a guide for settings more precise than those found on the DVDFab site?

And, of course, now you've given me reason to suspect that the minimum requirements posted by the good people at DVDFab are much less than they should be.

Thank you good sir!
    Last edited by LloydS; 28th May 2019 at 13:08. Reason: I edited this because it finally dawnwd on me that I misunderstood hdfills use of the word "100s".
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Minimum hardware requirements are often not enough.

It's clear that an Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz will take an unreasonable amount of time to shrink UHD Blu-ray using a software encoder, so you need a GPU that supports hardware accelerated HEVD encoding for faster encoding with that system.

A GeForce RTX 2060 should be able to provide that. Your GeForce RTX 2060 even has a Turing GPU, so it should be able to encode HEVC using B-frames for improved quality at reduced file size. Perhaps DVDFab UHD Copy's hardware accelerated encoding settings are less than ideal for your video card because the card is relatively new. Unfortunately, DVDFab's developers may be the only ones who can fix that.

I regret that I don't know enough to provide you with settings for UHD Blu-ray to properly utilize your card with other encoding software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th May 2019 at 16:11. Reason: typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet wrote:

"A GeForce RTX 2060 should be able to provide that. Your GeForce RTX 2060 even has a Turing GPU, so it should be able to encode HEVC using B-frames for improved quality at reduced file size. Perhaps DVDFab UHD Copy's hardware accelerated encoding settings are less than ideal for your video card because the card is relatively new. Unfortunately, DVDFab's developers may be the only ones who can fix that. "

I think you've hit the nail on the head!!! That makes the best sense of anything I've read so far.

Thanks usually_quiet!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    05/29/19

Well, happy, happy day!!!

This problem has been solved, by the DVDFab developers, just as "usually_quiet" suspected when he said, " Perhaps DVDFab UHD Copy's hardware accelerated encoding settings are less than ideal for your video card (an Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060) because the card is relatively new. Unfortunately, DVDFab's developers may be the only ones who can fix that."

Well, apparently the developers looked at the problem and made the correct adjustments! Way to go DVDFab developers!!!

I got this email yesterday, 05/28/19:

"Hello Lloyd,

UPDATE 》》》

Please download this version to try it out. Our developers make adjustment in this special version, it should work now.

http://download.dvdfab.cn/testing/DVDFab_x64_11032official_2019_05_28_13_12_26_dev_dev.exe

Please feedback, thank you."

I did just so and last night was able to make 2 rock-solid, smooth copies of 4K movies onto Verbatim 50GB Blu-ray blanks in a relatively short, less than 1 hour, period of time! (Before the fix, the copies would stutter and jump, making them unwatchable. And using "software only" would make good copies but would take 15+ hours!)

I did have all my settings set on the slowest, that is to say, "highest quality" settings, or I'm sure it would have been even faster. And the resulting 50GB Blu-ray copies are virtually indistinguishable from the original 4K's, though admittedly, I am not one of those who "looks for trouble," if you know what I mean.

Conclusion: I'm afraid to report that now I have become a DVDFab fanboy, though I will never wear rose colored glasses, so to speak. I'll speak out if further problems arise. But I must say that I am quite impressed with the developers response and the personal email asking for my own feedback. Now that's good service!

But more importantly, I know of no other program that allows one to copy a 4K original to a 50GB blank so easily and so quickly with such outstanding results, including the removal of Cinavia, should the need arise. I love the idea of vastly speeding up the "shrinking" process by use of modern video cards to where I didn't have to replace my entire computer. I only had to upgrade my video card.

DVDFab seems to me to be the complete package, at least for now and more so than anything else that I've come across. And this is coming from a guy who, for quite a while now, has used MakeMKV and BD Rebuilder to copy my normal Blu-rays, and will continue to do so. But when copying 4K's, as I slowly begin to upgrade my movie collection to as many 4K's as available, I am so happy to be able to use DVDFab, now so successfully.

Many thanks to all who participated. Everyone's comments elevated my knowledge tremendously as I sought to try to understand what was going on. I am most appreciative to all.

Lloyd
    Last edited by LloydS; 5th Jun 2019 at 13:58.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hi all!

Have the same issue with copies jumping and jerking in 4k player. I see the link for the fix but its no longer working or an active link.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this thread is 3 years old, but I am having the same issues. If LloydS is still around maybe you can help?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  27. There’s going to be no reply. I gave up on it. It seemed like it only happened when splitting a movie onto two discs. Within the first 5 or 10 minutes, there will be a stutter and skipping of the audio and video. I thought I was the only one having this issue. Now I know I’m not crazy. lol.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought LloydS got it figured out?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Bigsil View Post
    There’s going to be no reply. I gave up on it. It seemed like it only happened when splitting a movie onto two discs. Within the first 5 or 10 minutes, there will be a stutter and skipping of the audio and video. I thought I was the only one having this issue. Now I know I’m not crazy. lol.
    I have the same problem. the errors occur both if I divide the uhd films into 2 discs with tsmuxer and with dvdfab selecting the chapters for example from chapter 1 to 4 to test on a bd25 but there are always video and audio problems at certain points of the film (in john wick it does it at about minute 1).

did you solve it?the only solution is to convert the bd100 into bd50 with dvdfab with the loss of quality
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem with John Wick 4. I copied the UHD to 2 blank 50 gb discs. It began to skip and freeze about 40 minutes in. Guardians of the Galaxy 3 played fine. I don't know why one works and the other does not. I ended up ordering a Zidoo Z2000 Pro. I'm going to rip my collection to a HDD and forget about using blank discs. It's more expensive, and I'm tired of watching a movie only to have it freeze or skip.
    Quote Quote