VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

Is there a way to convert my old mp3/cdg collection to a more standard playable format like mp4/avi or wmv?
    So far i have been searching the forum but only found threads that are over 15 years old (with none of the given links working anymore). cdg2avi doesnt seem to exist anymore either.
    Kanto and Power cdg converter advertise as freeware but aren't (and even the trial version ends up with some unplayable file)

There seems to be a way for VLC player to convert, but it crashes almost instantly when you press convert (a bug that according to Google has been reported over 3 years ago)

So any help or tips on how to convert the 2 files to a single file, or even how to convert the old cdg format itself to avi or mp4 without sound, would be very helpfull.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    took about 5 seconds to search "cdg to avi" and pick ~8th item "PowerKaraoke". https://www.powerkaraoke.com/.
    Site explicitly says has tool to do just that (as well as to MPEG).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. ffmpeg can do it. Put this in a batch file, drag/drop CDG and MP3 files onto it:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i %1 -i %2 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vcodec libx264 -acodec copy "%~dpn1.mkv"
    That will give you a MKV file with h.264 video and the original MP3 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    took about 5 seconds to search "cdg to avi" and pick ~8th item "PowerKaraoke". https://www.powerkaraoke.com/.
    Site explicitly says has tool to do just that (as well as to MPEG).

Scott

It took even less seconds to find out it isnn't freeware...

@jagaboo : Thanks i will try that! Too bad that VLC still cant convert without crashing though..

Edit: It works! I only need to tweak some settings now so the final image gets less compressed (and looks sharper). Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by NickvTd; 23rd May 2019 at 00:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    ffmpeg can do it. Put this in a batch file, drag/drop CDG and MP3 files onto it:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i %1 -i %2 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vcodec libx264 -acodec copy "%~dpn1.mkv"
    That will give you a MKV file with h.264 video and the original MP3 audio.
    This fails if the cdg file duration is short than audio duration
    Quote Quote