VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to connect my PC to a large screen in the next room (too far for a cable) so I want a little wireless box beside the PC and another beside the screen to connect them so I can show stuff on the screen from the PC. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by timsky View Post
    I want to connect my PC to a large screen in the next room (too far for a cable) so I want a little wireless box beside the PC and another beside the screen to connect them so I can show stuff on the screen from the PC. Any suggestions?
    And signal type is?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1920x1080 movies
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Model #s?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    screen: Samsung KX02 bought 11 years ago
    computer: Desktop-LNIK 8PG intel i7-7700K
    Quote Quote  
  6. wireless HMDI?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, that model TV is too old so almost certainly wouldn't support DLNA feature. You could use a roku/chromecast or similar unit if it supported DLNA (and use your PC as dlna server), but that would be no good if you wanted to show live gaming.

Looks like wireless HDMI would then be the only option. I would say the IOGEAR offering is probably the least expensive of the decent, reliable models ($180 USD currently, IIRC). Industrial strength/quality ones are more like $550-800, or more.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I've had good luck with the Nyrius Aries Prime. About $200.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by timsky View Post
    1920x1080 movies
    A basic Chromecast can do 1080p H.264 videos just fine, and will transmit it over WiFi. There are other Android media players that can also do the same thing with other formats like H.265 and VP9, and are usually under $100. As far as wireless HDMI, which is completely uncompressed data at nearly 4Gbit per second, that can be super glitchy and have very poor range. Transmitting compressed video to a device over WiFi, then having that device decode and output HDMI over cable is a much more reliable solution.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I fully agree with KarMa - or streaming trough WiFi or cable - Wireless HDMI is good looking on paper... I always recommend cable (virtually zero latency, acceptable cost/limitation ratio).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Don't forget to look at Gigabit Powerline adapters that use the mains wiring in your house as network cable. You'd still probably need some sort of media player (console, Bluray player, PC/Laptop, etc.) at the TV. Having suggested this, Powerline adapters are not as good as running a regular cat5e/cat6 network cable and can struggle with HD material, but you might get away with it. (It's been several years since I last played with 'new' powerline adapters so hopefully they've improved since then. My non-gigabit 200mbps adapters handle SD material around the house with no issues, and are mostly OK with DVB-T2 HD material.)

Let us know how you get on, especially if you have a look at wireless HDMI. I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have been running one of those IOGEARs for ~4 years now, with no issues (except one user connection error). Of course, the feed is only ~25', and almost line of sight.

@timksy, if you are just doing movies, yes I agree with those above, a DLNA-type media player device (with server at/in PC, wifi connection, client at the TV) is a much more versatile (and very likely cheaper) method. If you also want to use that for gaming presentation, it won't.

@TimA-C, I've got 3 pairs of the Powerlines, all 500Mbps, and they are OK, but never great actual speed and never rock-solid connection. Though that could easily have to do with the condition of the power it is piggybacking on. It's an option, but I'm still on the fence with them overall.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 22nd May 2019 at 22:01.
    Quote Quote  
  13. As I said, it's been a while since I played with any new powerline adapters and I would hope that they have improved since I bought the 200Mbps ones that I'm still using for SD stuff. I'd still always recommend running a proper network cable (or two) if you can but powerline adapters can offer a simpler solution in some situations. The big problem with them is that you really can't tell how they'll work until you plug them in and try them. If the builders used cheaper wiring with a lower copper content and less insulation, if it's not properly earthed, if you have rodent or insect damage to the wiring, high resistance joints due to oxidation or damp, or the cable run is just too long between the mains sockets you want to use then . . . !

Edit: I should probably have said 'higher resistance joints' as 'high resistance' joints in this instance would, I suspect, be a fire hazard.
    Last edited by TimA-C; 23rd May 2019 at 06:13. Reason: Clarification
    Quote Quote