VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all first time posting here. I have a project going on and I just ran into a pickle of some sort lol.

Ok so I have a dvd set of old tv vhs recordings that were transferred to dvd that I just ripped on to my pc. I was planning on putting them on bd-r discs just for the case of storage for having multiple episodes on the blue ray discs as to 1 episode per dvd at 52 discs so it would save me some space lol. I’m not looking to upscale the quality as I know old vhs to dvds wouldn’t look good in hd format just looking to do sd video on the blu rays for more episodes per disc. So here’s where I ran into my so called pickle lol

I guess some episodes were captured what a card because some video sizes on episodes are 352x480 and some are 704x480 and some 740x480. I’m guessing the latter were transferred with a dvd recorder? So I know sd blu ray can be either 704x480 and 720x480 without re-encoding right? So my question is what should I do with the dvd files that aren’t sd blu ray compliant? Should I re-encode to the right video size with mpeg-4 or mpeg2? Is there a way to that lossless and if so how can I do it? And is there a program that could just take those dvd video files and put them in the blu ray file structure with re-encoding? And if so would there be playback issues with the video sizes 352x480 and 704x480?

Thanks in advance everyone and sorry if my questions seem noobish lol.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are willing to do without a menu, you can convert the videos on each DVD from VOB to mpg, which will be lossless, and burn the files to BD-R as data instead of authoring a Blu-ray disc. Many Blu-ray players play mpg video files burned as data to Blu-ray (you should make a test disc to make sure that your Blu-ray player can do this) and a computer will certainly play them.

DVDVob2Mpg, VOB2MPG in IFO Mode, and MPEG_Streamclip for Windows 1.21b6 can convert from VOB to mpg. Note that VOB2MPG is incompatible with Windows 10. Also, MPEG_Streamclip requires installing a QuicktimeAlternative 1.81. Newer versions won't work.

Use ImgBurn to burn the mpg files as data.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you are willing to do without a menu, you can convert the videos on each DVD from VOB to mpg, which will be lossless, and burn the files to BD-R as data instead of authoring a Blu-ray disc. Many Blu-ray players play mpg video files burned as data to Blu-ray (you should make a test disc to make sure that your Blu-ray player can do this) and a computer will certainly play them.

DVDVob2Mpg, VOB2MPG in IFO Mode, and MPEG_Streamclip for Windows 1.21b6 can convert from VOB to mpg. Note that VOB2MPG is incompatible with Windows 10. Also, MPEG_Streamclip requires installing a QuicktimeAlternative 1.81. Newer versions won't work.

Use ImgBurn to burn the mpg files as data.

That could be an option but I was just looking to have something like a simplified menu with just like a blank background with some thumbnails side by side to select an episode. So yeah I would like a menu.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you check the What Is Blu-Ray page, you'll note that only 720x480 is allowed. The others will have to be reencoded. And if the audio is something besides AC3 or WAV audio (MP2), it'll have to be reencoded as well.

Other than that, multiAVCHD might be what you want.
    Last edited by manono; 20th May 2019 at 14:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Consider using BD_Rebuilder
    It can import multiple files to a BD structure and create a simple menu
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank u manono and gonca for the replies. I just thought of something else and please let me know if it’s plausible. What if I just re-author the vobs themself? Re-encode the 352x480 and 704x480 episodes with tmpgenc authoring works as a dvd so it’s still a complimant dvd video with the video size 720x480. So if I do that would it be a compliant sd blu ray format? And if I were to re-encode how could I get lossless or pretty close to lossless video with the tmpgenc authoring work settings?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Littlebase631 View Post
    Thank u manono and gonca for the replies. I just thought of something else and please let me know if it’s plausible. What if I just re-author the vobs themself? Re-encode the 352x480 and 704x480 episodes with tmpgenc authoring works as a dvd so it’s still a complimant dvd video with the video size 720x480. So if I do that would it be a compliant sd blu ray format? And if I were to re-encode how could I get lossless or pretty close to lossless video with the tmpgenc authoring work settings?
    It isn't possible to losslessly re-encode MPEG-2 video to a larger resolution. You'll have to try TMPGEnc Authoring Works to see if the results it produces are acceptable. You may need to convert from VOBs to mpg to import the video for Blu-ray authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Authoring Works will accept dvd files with no need to re-encode to blu-ray,it will author them and re-encode audio as needed
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    TMPGEnc Authoring Works will accept dvd files with no need to re-encode to blu-ray,it will author them and re-encode audio as needed
    Thanks for the reply. And yes I know but it re-encodes because the resolution is 352x480. Sd Blu-ray is 720x480. That’s why it re-encodes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you considered leaving your stuff as-is and just creating a SuperDVD (large amount of DVD data authored as DVD but burned on Bluray media)?

Or just leaving them as data files (mpeg2)? (Nm)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Have you considered leaving your stuff as-is and just creating a SuperDVD (large amount of DVD data authored as DVD but burned on Bluray media)?

Or just leaving them as data files (mpeg2)? (Nm)

Scott
    How would I go about making the superdvd and buring it on the blu Ray?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Do you mean making it essentially a data dvd with no menus and then putting it on a blu Ray disc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, do a standard authored DVD, ignoring "disc size" limitation warnings, save the compilation as a large ISO on your HDD, then burn using ImgBurn.

It's an authored DVD, so should work in settop/hardware players, WITH menu, but as it's Blu-ray media, it will need to be Blu-ray capable. Think of this as the reverse of the MiniDVD.

You could do what U_Q said above about just doing it as data files, but I saw you said you wanted menus, so (unless you count creating an HTML menu with links to ASX metafiles and or the media files) that takes that out of the running, which is why I said NM on my last bit.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No, do a standard authored DVD, ignoring "disc size" limitation warnings, save the compilation as a large ISO on your HDD, then burn using ImgBurn.

It's an authored DVD, so should work in settop/hardware players, WITH menu, but as it's Blu-ray media, it will need to be Blu-ray capable. Think of this as the reverse of the MiniDVD.

You could do what U_Q said above about just doing it as data files, but I saw you said you wanted menus, so (unless you count creating an HTML menu with links to ASX metafiles and or the media files) that takes that out of the running, which is why I said NM on my last bit.

Scott
    That’s a great idea cornucopia thank you for the suggestion! I was going to just re-encode the 352x480 episodes, try to patch the 704x480 episodes and leave the others as is. But your idea sounds a lot better and less work involved. Just so I’m clear. I author the dvd as normal then save it as an image file(iso) then burn it on to the blu ray disc using imgburn correct? I’ll give it a go. And my blu ray players would read it as a dvd or blu ray disc? The resolution on some episodes won’t cause any problems?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just so I’m clear. I author the dvd as normal then save it as an image file(iso) then burn it on to the blu ray disc using imgburn correct?
    Yes. However, you must use DVD authoring software which supports using a custom size/capacity above the maximum allowed for "normal" DVD media, which is 8.5 GB. (This the setting is used when the DVD will be burned to DVD+R DL media. Authoring software may list DVD 9 as a DVD size or DVD capacity instead of 8.5GB. )

And my blu ray players would read it as a dvd or blu ray disc? The resolution on some episodes won’t cause any problems?
    Assuming a "Super DVD" is not rejected because it is on Blu-ray media and not DVD media, the Blu-ray player would recognize it as a DVD, on account of the file structure on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Just so I’m clear. I author the dvd as normal then save it as an image file(iso) then burn it on to the blu ray disc using imgburn correct?
    Yes. However, you must use DVD authoring software which supports using a custom size/capacity above the maximum allowed for "normal" DVD media, which is 8.5 GB. (This the setting is used when the DVD will be burned to DVD+R DL media. Authoring software may list DVD 9 as a DVD size or DVD capacity instead of 8.5GB. )

And my blu ray players would read it as a dvd or blu ray disc? The resolution on some episodes won’t cause any problems?
    Assuming a "Super DVD" is not rejected because it is on Blu-ray media and not DVD media, the Blu-ray player would recognize it as a DVD, on account of the file structure on the disc.
    Oh ok gotcha well I’ll have to give it a go and see what happens. Thanks usually_quite. I’m pretty sure tmpgenc will let me exceed the file limit but I have to double check. But I don’t know if it would let me save as an iso.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, for any non-standard standard, YMMV and use at your own risk. It is possible that some BD players may only look at BD media type and immediately only accept BDMV authored material from it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Littlebase631 View Post
    That could be an option but I was just looking to have something like a simplified menu with just like a blank background with some thumbnails side by side to select an episode. So yeah I would like a menu.
    The player will give you a simple menu -- a list of files that can navigate through and pick the one you want.
    Quote Quote  
  19. My point would be to store them on hard drives, I am in the process of "converting" all my dvd discs to being stored on a NAS as I am anut case collector, the DVD's are about 10 years old and some , even though stored well, have faults/even a few have dinsintergradted,

Discs are storage of the past, you can even put "full dvd" on a hard drive and play it with menus, I have done that for some of my multi item dvd's where the menu is important, single item dvd's I have used Handbrake and TMPG, the latter when editing is required.

Time consuming but simple and satisfactory for a 46 inch LCD TV to view happily. Handbrakes sharpen filter was particularly helpful
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yeah I already ripped them to my pc hd and was thinking of putting them on an external hd at some point.

First method I’m going to try though is the “superdvd” method. Does anybody know of a dvd authoring program that will author as an .iso? I haven’t checked if tmpgenc authoring works or cyberkink powerdvd does. Those are the authoring tools I have on my pc.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    tmpgenc authoring works only outputs in folders,i wouldn't use powerdvd for anything.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  22. But you can "convert" dvd folders to iso using imgburn?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    But you can "convert" dvd folders to iso using imgburn?
    Oh ok I didn’t know that. Great that’s what I will do then. Thank u all! I will test out later and share the results
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I already ripped them to my pc hd and was thinking of putting them on an external hd at some point.

First method I’m going to try though is the “superdvd” method. Does anybody know of a dvd authoring program that will author as an .iso? I haven’t checked if tmpgenc authoring works or cyberkink powerdvd does. Those are the authoring tools I have on my pc.

ImgBurn provides options to produce an ISO from DVD-file-and-folder output from an authoring program or to burn DVD-file-and-folder output from an authoring program directly to disc. However, I can't verify that ImgBurn will work as desired using either option. I have never tried to create a SuperDVD ISO or a SuperDVD disc with ImgBurn using DVD files and folders as a source.

PowerDVD can play ISOs as long as they don't contain copy-protected/encrypted content, but PowerDVD doesn't author DVD or Blu-ray. Maybe you mean PowerDirector or PowerProducer?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd May 2019 at 15:21. Reason: add links to VH software pages
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yeah I already ripped them to my pc hd and was thinking of putting them on an external hd at some point.

ImgBurn provides options to produce an ISO from DVD-file-and-folder output from an authoring program or to burn DVD-file-and-folder output from an authoring program directly to disc. However, I can't verify that ImgBurn will work as desired using either option. I have never tried to create a SuperDVD ISO or a SuperDVD disc with ImgBurn using DVD files and folders as a source.

PowerDVD can play ISOs as long as they don't contain copy-protected/encrypted content, but PowerDVD doesn't author DVD or Blu-ray. Maybe you mean PowerDirector or PowerProducer?

Yeah I guess that’s what I mean lol, my blu ray writer came with a cyberlink disc that installed a bundle of their products. Which program. Which program do you use to make your superdvds?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I guess that’s what I mean lol, my blu ray writer came with a cyberlink disc that installed a bundle of their products. Which program. Which program do you use to make your superdvds?
    I don't create SuperDVDs at all, although I still create standard DVDs on a regular basis. I make my life simple when utilizing BD-R for storage by burning video files and folders as data.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Oh ok gotcha. I think I’m going to test it out first just authoring a single dvd as an iso and put it on the blu ray to see what happens. As to burning an iso to Blu-ray with imgburn is there any specific settings I have to change?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm in the same boat. I am able to make standard def DVD's from my video files using Movavai. But it does not offer a Blu-ray DVD option.

What sort of video software can I use to convert hi res AVI files to Blu-ray 1080? I also have MP4 files, but was told AVI is better to work with. I want the Blu-ray to have a file show up on the DVD player they can click on to play. Or they could be auto play, don't care. But I need Blu-ray DVD for household DVD players, not computers.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Daniel D. Teoli Jr. View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I am able to make standard def DVD's from my video files using Movavai. But it does not offer a Blu-ray DVD option.

What sort of video software can I use to convert hi res AVI files to Blu-ray 1080? I also have MP4 files, but was told AVI is better to work with. I want the Blu-ray to have a file show up on the DVD player they can click on to play. Or they could be auto play, don't care. But I need Blu-ray DVD for household DVD players, not computers.

Thanks
    try using dvdfab - dvd to blu-ray converter - https://www.dvdfab.cn/dvd-to-blu-ray-converter.htm
    Quote Quote  
  30. Gotta ask
    why would you want to you cannot make silk purse out of sours ear.
    Last edited by victoriabears; 15th Jun 2019 at 15:09.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote