VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of videos that were recorded in India and the Middle in the PAL format. I am currently in the USA and wanted to convert them to digital that I can share with the rest of the family.

    I have my old VCR from my time there, which is a Sharp multi format player, so it can play PAL/SECAM/NTSC/MESECAM format tapes.

    I am looking to purchase Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for the software/hardware capture side of things. Ill be using a spare machine with Windows 7, since people have had the most success with that version of the software and Windows.

    Will I need a PAL to NTSC converter like this in between the vcr and the Roxio hardware ?

    Do I need any other hardware ? Ive been reading about needing a SCART card, but cant get more information.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    First, you need to determine whether the Roxio device supports PAL. The guide implies so but I can't find any documentation. If it does, then let your VCR output native PAL and you will be fine.

    Otherwise, you must determine if your Sharp converts to true NTSC or if it outputs PAL60, a signal which many TVs will play but which will be black-and-white through the digital converter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's not an analog PAL to analog NTSC converter. It's an HDMI to composite converter that supports both PAL and NTSC output. Cheap PAL/NTSC converters deliver crappy output. You should buy a capture device that supports PAL capture so you don't need a converter. Something like the Diamond VC500. The Hauppauge USB Live2 may support PAL too -- but I don't see PAL mentioned in the description at their web site.

    Whether you need a SCART to composite or s-video adapter depends on what outputs your VHS deck has. You want to use s-video whenever possible.

    If your tapes aren't in great condition you may need a time base corrector.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th May 2019 at 12:34.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    First, you need to determine whether the Roxio device supports PAL. The guide implies so but I can't find any documentation. If it does, then let your VCR output native PAL and you will be fine.

    Otherwise, you must determine if your Sharp converts to true NTSC or if it outputs PAL60, a signal which many TVs will play but which will be black-and-white through the digital converter.
    Thank you very much, so seems like Im good to go at that point. Hopefully I dont need any more hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's not an analog PAL to analog NTSC converter. It's an HDMI to composite converter that supports both PAL and NTSC output. Cheap PAL/NTSC converters deliver crappy output. You should buy a capture device that supports PAL capture so you don't need a converter. Something like the Diamond VC500. The Hauppauge USB Live2 may support PAL too -- but I don't see PAL mentioned in the description at their web site.

    Whether you need a SCART to composite or s-video adapter depends on what outputs your VHS deck has. You want to use s-video whenever possible.

    If your tapes aren't in great condition you may need a time base corrector.
    The condition of the tapes will be determined after playback right ? Ive been very careful with them to make sure they were in a clean place, cool temperature.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capture as PAL and convert to NTSC on the computer, perhaps by using AVSToDVD.

    I wouldn't use Roxio for anything. Capture lossless to minimize the quality degradation.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Capture as PAL and convert to NTSC on the computer, perhaps by using AVSToDVD.

    I wouldn't use Roxio for anything. Capture lossless to minimize the quality degradation.
    If not Roxio, what would you recommend for capture ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member dellsam34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Paris Ca, 92345 Mexico
    Search PM
    Most if not all media players, smart devices and smart TV's playback PAL digital files fine, No need to convert to anything no matter what country you are in, That was back in the day when hardware such as VCR's and CRT TV's were locked to a standard, Not anymore now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Not fully true. Still YMMV unfortunately.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by greenscreen2017 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If your tapes aren't in great condition you may need a time base corrector.
    The condition of the tapes will be determined after playback right ? Ive been very careful with them to make sure they were in a clean place, cool temperature.
    During playback. If you are dropping a lot of frames, or they jump around or wiggle back and forth a lot, then you need TBC processing. This has more to do with the quality of the recording itself rather than the physical tape, although if the tapes are very old, shrinkage can be a factor.

    The UK and European flavors of PAL differ in their transmission characteristics, all of which are discarded when the signal is recorded to tape. So you shouldn't have any problems if the recordings are true PAL50.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads