VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When using Videopad (video editor) on an XPS 13 laptop (i7-6600U, 8 GB, 256GB SSD) and adding a (long) movie clip to edit like a 7 minute 1080p mp4 file (934 MB in total size), it first wants to cache it showing me a green progress bar in the preview bar that takes forever to load. When I move my mouse over the progress bar, it says "to speed things up, we are caching your video. Watch the preview, after this progress bar is finished."

The strange thing is that I can still start editing even before the progress bar is finished I think, not sure I could do anything however, but why does this progress bar take forever like minutes to load? When looking in Task Manager neither my CPU or RAM (8GB) are used to its maximum, so why is this progress bar so slow? Is it maybe my older i7-6600U processor or what exactly? And why does it seem that i can still start editing even before the progress bar is done, even though I am not sure I could do anything?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Generally laptops are a lot slower than a desktop pc in the same price range for doing anything such as gaming and video editing also the program itself might not be that good,the reason for caching is to put the video into ram memory to speed up editing,having only 8 gb of ram will slow down caching as opposed to 16 or more gb of ram.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Generally laptops are a lot slower than a desktop pc in the same price range for doing anything such as gaming and video editing also the program itself might not be that good,the reason for caching is to put the video into ram memory to speed up editing,having only 8 gb of ram will slow down caching as opposed to 16 or more gb of ram.
    Thanks for the reply, but how come that when I load a video file and the progress bar takes forever to cache it, in Task Manager I am still only using around 65% of RAM and also not maxing out CPU?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Often, it is not just "cacheing" it, it is using a compatible, keyframable codec as a proxy.

Example: often if you use Premiere, not working with SD DV, but instead some other type of HD format. If you do not specify differently (and sometimes even when you do), it will not consider it cached until it has rendered all the visible stuff as intermediate bitrate, i-frame-only MPEG2. However, this is just for the working preview during editing, for smooth playback & shuttling. Not truly necessary to do the actual edit with, just makes the workflow be more fluid. It will still render output however you set the project, or export however you set that.
    I'm guessing it is something very similar to that.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. deleted
    Last edited by Mark01; 20th May 2019 at 00:42.
    Quote Quote