VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've read that the difference between UK PAL and Continental PAL is the carrier frequency used for the audio. But is that referring to:
    • the (now former) analogue TV broadcasts
    • the encoding on the tape
    • or both?

I am aware of the VHS PAL I standard for the UK and the VHS PAL B/G etc standard in continental Europe.

According to these links, if the SCART output is used, then the audio is available. The links say that the difference in audio encoding is only related to the RF (Radio Frequency) signal i.e. broadcasts:

My use case is for using a continental video player from Germany to play UK VHS PAL tapes and convert the video and audio digitally.

Setup:

PAL standard references:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From a former vhs trading perspective VHS recordings from the UK work on continental vcrs without any need to convert.

Same goes for commercial tapes. In my time, I acquired many VHS from all parts of Europe (except France) and these play fine on UK vcrs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I thought PAL-B/G/D/K/I are broadcast standards that has something to do with the type of tuner in the VCR during recording, It has nothing to do with the physical PAL VHS tape standard which is 625-line / 50 field (25 frame) per second with either HiFi Stereo or linear audio or both. I believe once the right tuner is used and the tape is recorded it becomes just PAL VHS, Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    PAL is PAL. I've captured PAL tapes from all over the world.....from here in Germany.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    From a former vhs trading perspective VHS recordings from the UK work on continental vcrs without any need to convert.

Same goes for commercial tapes. In my time, I acquired many VHS from all parts of Europe (except France) and these play fine on UK vcrs.
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I thought PAL-B/G/D/K/I are broadcast standards that has something to do with the type of tuner in the VCR during recording, It has nothing to do with the physical PAL VHS tape standard which is 625-line / 50 field (25 frame) per second with either HiFi Stereo or linear audio or both. I believe once the right tuner is used and the tape is recorded it becomes just PAL VHS, Anyone?
    Agree, I think the same. Going on other answers here and the original links in my question, I'd be inclined to think we are correct! Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    PAL is PAL. I've captured PAL tapes from all over the world.....from here in Germany.
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you for your input so far. I will be sure to confirm my findings that this is the case when I use the equipment.
    Quote Quote