VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, guys,

it's been a while since I last posted here, I wonder if you could help me out here.

A while back, i decided to try to get back into gaming, so I bought a geforce gtx 1050 to keep up with the evolving game graphics.
    I have suspected for a while that the guy sold me a busted graphics card, because now my computer goes black every once a while, at random times, on face, pinterest and reddit, graphics just crash for half a minute.

Photoshop, Poser 3d, Blender 3d and 3d Studio never crash, only happens when on the internet on firefox.

Never used to do that with the previous, sucky geforce card.

It doesn't crash on gaming either, where it keeps up nicely with games such as L4D2 or the last 3 Tomb Raiders games, Modern Warfare, etc.

BUT

More demanding games such as Monster Hunter World, A Plague's Tale Inocense Hellblade or the latest games are just unplayable, I get like 3 frames per minute. Not to mention the hickups.

Is there something on geforce experience or elsewhere that can run a diagnostic to see my graphics card is faulty?

I also bought a memory stick at the time, could it be that?

System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits

Intel core i3-4150 CPU 3.50 GHz

Geforce GTX1050

16gb ram
    Last edited by General Mortars; 19th May 2019 at 00:14.
    "They say that if you play the Windows CD backward you can hear satanic speech; well, thatīs nothing.
    When you play it forward, it installs windows."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try updating the graphics card
    Drivers ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, that was the very first thing I did, a while back. Oldest driver update for this card is from a year ago.
    "They say that if you play the Windows CD backward you can hear satanic speech; well, thatīs nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try checking your computer for dust & debris. your computer may be overheating,
    or the power supply may be going bad. see here - https://askleo.com/why_do_i_get_a_black_screen_on_my_computer_after_a_while/
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's clean since last october-november.
    It's interesting that it only goes black screen on firefox and on facebook/pinterest/reddit, opera doesn't seem to have this problem so far.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Test the memory with memtest to be sure it is working properly

Has this graphics card a power connector? (6 or 8 pin pciexpress) If so is it connected to the power supply?

Remove the new card and put back in the old one, are your problems gone?

Check with the taskmanager cpu usage while playing a faulty game, is it maxed out?

Firefox may be using hardware acceleration, so that might explain why it happens there? That could indicate a faulty graphics card, but that is not for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also the 1050 isn't meant for future gaming since it only has 2 gb of ram.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote