VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a couple of Intel CPU coolers around that I never used. Both are model E97378-001 for LGA1150, but have slightly DIFFERENT specifications, one is DC12V 0.28A and one DC12V 0.60A. Otherwise they seem identical in construction, made of aluminum with a copper core, but from different manufacturers. I am assuming that the second one has a faster fan and is intended for a more powerful CPU, but it came with a Pentium, while the first one came with an i5. What do you think?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 19th Jun 2020 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I have a couple of Intel CPU coolers around that I never used. Both are model E97378-001 for LGA1150, but have slightly specifications, one is DC12V 0.28A and one DC12V 0.60A. Otherwise they seem identical in construction, made of aluminum with a copper core, but from different manufacturers. I am assuming that the second one has a faster fan and is intended for a more powerful CPU, but it came with a Pentium, while the first one came with an i5. What do you think?
    There is lot of factors involved in this and higher consumed current doesn't mean automatically higher air flow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm guessing that each one was probably the cheapest cooler that fitted the general spec required that Intel could purchase that day. Also, don't forget that the i5 is probably far more energy efficient than the older Pentium, and so probably wouldn't need as much cooling?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    I'm guessing that each one was probably the cheapest cooler that fitted the general spec required that Intel could purchase that day. Also, don't forget that the i5 is probably far more energy efficient than the older Pentium, and so probably wouldn't need as much cooling?
    The Pentium has a TDP of 53W while the i5 has a TDP of 88W. If I am correct, this means that the i5 gets hotter than the Pentium, thus it requires a more efficient (faster) fan. Isn't a 0.60A fan faster than a 0.28A one?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All but the cheapest <$20 aftermarket CPU cooler is better than the one Intel includes with their CPUs. Saving money on CPU cooling is false economy in performance as Intel's coolers are typically just "good enough" for cooling that particular CPU.

Edit: I'm not sure if you're just being thrifty or have very limited cash for proper components, but you often post about 'making do' with old or lower cost components that may be cheaper initially, but are poor choices for price/performance.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I have always been using an aftermarket CPU cooler and I am just investigating the usability of the Intel ones that I have and I never TRIED.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 19th Jun 2020 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The higher current fan could be higher rotation speed, but it doesn't have to be.

The Intel ones are almost always less efficient in cooling than after market coolers, So i suggest use after market unless the CPU has a low tdp and will be used in a low end system like a htpc

The copper core Intel coolers are better than the full aluminum ones, but still less efficient than after market ones.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    This is what I am currently using:

https://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=347

I did not have any problems with it yet, but it is a little noisy at full speed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what I am currently using:

https://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=347

I did not have any problems with it yet, but it is a little noisy at full speed.
    It has a pwm controlled fan, so you could set in bios the max rotation speed?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    It has a pwm controlled fan, so you could set in bios the max rotation speed?
    In bios I can choose Normal, Silent and Manual for fan. Normal and Silent seem to have the same result. Only Manual with smallest number (0.75) seems to make the fan quiet at full speed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    The cooler I was using recently failed and I need to replace it with a new one. Do you think the following (that I already have) would do a better job than the Intel cooler?

https://www.zalman.com/US/Product/ProductDetail.do?pageIndex=2&pageSize=10&pageUnit=12...y=&searchWord=
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mm i doubt that cooler is better than the intel one, both don't have any heatpipes, i think it will make a little difference in favor of zalman
    Quote Quote