VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    This is my first post.
    Is this forum also for Mac or just PC's?

I am looking for legacy video editing software that will edit video/audio from the audio timeline which is synched to video. I am editing music attached to video.
    What software can anyone recommend? How do I find it?
    Thanks,
    b-blue

Here are my computer specs:
    I have an iMac9,1 (2009)
    Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Quote Quote  
  2. I edit video on a computer older than yours, and it works fine. However, you need to specify what sort of video you will be editing, and what sort of editing you will be doing.

Any computer can edit SD video.

Also, pretty much any computer can edit more complex HD video (h.264) or even 4K video if you use proxies.

Render times with older computers can get to be a problem if you are planning to do a lot of compositing (combining videos from multiple sources) or other video "tricks."

Playback time on the timeline can be sluggish if you apply a lot of effects, but most editing software lets you temporarily turn those off in order to get the edit timing adjusted.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies. Because I use a Mac I'm going to post on that forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I have an iMac with these specs:
    I have an iMac9,1 (2009)
    Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3

OS Leopard 10.5.8

I need to edit music videos using the audio timeline in a wav form for precise edits.
    The editing would be simple. I only need to make cuts and sometimes paste sections into other areas of the timeline. I just need to edit the audio track with the video synched to it.

Also, I have two video camcorders. One is Standard Definition only using DV tapes. The other is a Zoom Q4N which is only digital (no tapes). The Zoom offers a variety of levels of definition. I'm not so knowledgable so I have this question: What is WVGA/30 5Mbps? Is it HD or SD? The Zoom also offers WVGA/60 8Mbps? Which is better? I don't need high quality video. I use mics for high quality audio. The audio from the video needs to be passable.

Given my ten year old computer and OS what legacy software can I use to accomplish my task? How can I obtain this software? Can I get it for free or very inexpensively? I would rather not upgrade my OS.
    Thanks for your replies
    Last edited by b_blue; 10th May 2019 at 23:23. Reason: forgot to ask questions about my camcorders
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    b_blue, one thread per topic is enough. Please do not double post. I've merged the other topic with this one.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  7. You should be able to use any modern software (perhaps with some limitations), IMHO you can use virtual machine with Windows within your native OS thus you are not restricted only to Mac.
    Quote Quote