VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a serious issue. I have a few DVD films which I purchased few months ago from different stores, they all play in my DVD player, but they play only black and white.

When I play on an external DVD writer on computer or laptop, they play in colour!

What is the issue I have? My DVD player is of high brand Sony - Sr170
    Last edited by alih786; 9th May 2019 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try a different cable and make sure cables are seated tightly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    Try a different cable and make sure cables are seated tightly.

I have, and they are. Different scarts
    Quote Quote  
  4. NTSC DVDs? Lack of PAL60 support?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    NTSC DVDs? Lack of PAL60 support?

I don't know what this is. Its been many years since I last got to know DVDs, please explain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You state you are from the UK. Were these disks bought in the UK ?

Even so, if they are NTSC (should state on the case) they should play on UK tvs. But check the player settings since NTSC playback may not be automatic.

Oh. And is this player UK sourced. Not a model no I can recognise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But do PAL disks play in colour on a NTSC player ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the SCART socket on the DVD player. Try using video out (yellow RCA socket)
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  9. If the problem only happens with NTSC discs I see two possibilities:

1) The player is putting out a PAL60 signal (NTSC timing, PAL chroma subcarrier) and the TV doesn't handle PAL60. This is unlikely as most PAL TVs support PAL60.

2) The player is putting out a pure NTSC signal (NTSC timing, NTSC chroma subcarrier) and the TV is looking for a PAL chroma carrier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    Hi, I have a serious issue. I have a few DVD films which I purchased few months ago from different stores, they all play in my DVD player, but they play only black and white.

When I play on an external DVD writer on computer or laptop, they play in colour!

What is the issue I have? My DVD player is of high brand Sony - Sr170
    try checking your dvd player and see if there's a PAL - NTSC switch.
    is your TV set to the right video input from your DVD player ??
    look on the back of the box the DVD disc came in and tell us what region the disc is ( should say for example REGION 1 )
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You state you are from the UK. Were these disks bought in the UK ?

Even so, if they are NTSC (should state on the case) they should play on UK tvs. But check the player settings since NTSC playback may not be automatic.

Oh. And is this player UK sourced. Not a model no I can recognise.
    Yes I'm based in UK. These disks were bought in UK -- but there is nothing wrong with them. I currently have a CRT TV only, Hitachi which I use. The Sony DVD player supports NTSC and pal
    Image Attached Thumbnails c1426r_instructions_for_use.pdf  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There, obviously, is nothing wrong with the disks since you already stated that they play fine on a PC player.

NTSC disks could be one cause and it is not unusual to see NTSC disks sold in the UK. Maybe you can advise what these disks are.

But have you used this combination of tv and player before with other disks? Have you changed anything?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    There, obviously, is nothing wrong with the disks since you already stated that they play fine on a PC player.

NTSC disks could be one cause and it is not unusual to see NTSC disks sold in the UK. Maybe you can advise what these disks are.

But have you used this combination of tv and player before with other disks? Have you changed anything?
    Yes ive used them before, the only thing I changed was TV. Had a 50" Bush LED - didn't last long so disposed of it and got a CRT TV which lasts longer and better picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And just to clarify. Did these particular disks, the ones that are now in B&W, play fine on the LED?. Just to eliminate the disks from the diagnosis.

And have other disks played on the CRT ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Assuming these are commercially produced DVDs, they should be marked with a region number on both the discs and the back of the case. What is it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, read page 13 of the tv manual about switching AV modes. Could be that simple.
    Quote Quote