VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys.
    I'm trying to denoise some very old cartoons, to reduce the file size.
    It's working quite nice, reducing the file size to about a fifth of the original, but the thing is there are some white lines that are disappearing too much. Check the boots on the picture:
    Original
    Click image for larger version

Name:	orig.png
Views:	137
Size:	1,003.2 KB
ID:	49021
    Denoised
    Click image for larger version

Name:	denoised.png
Views:	141
Size:	938.8 KB
ID:	49023

I'm using fft3dgpu as it's fast with
    Sigma:3; Sharp:1; Block 16/16/3; Precision: 2

My settings:
    x264 --crf 20.00 --profile high10 --direct auto --b-adapt 0 --qcomp 0.5 --qpmax 81 --partitions i4x4,p8x8,b8x8 --no-fast-pskip --subme 5 --trellis 0 --weightp 1 --aq-mode 0 --sar 1:1 --qpfile GENERATED_QP_FILE --non-deterministic --range tv --colormatrix bt709 --demuxer raw --input-res 1920x1080 --input-csp i420 --input-range tv --input-depth 10 --fps 24000/1001 --output-depth 10 --output "C:\Users\Rafael\AppData\Local\Temp\FullCamouflage .264" -

Any ideas on how to get better definition on those white lines while maintaining the overal denoising?
    Quote Quote  
  2. ff3d is a nice denoiser, but it does tend to soften details. A temporal denoiser might give you sharper results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, use a temporal only denoiseer. Especially one with motion compensation (much better for panning shots). Or use no denoising at all. Just use a high bitrate to retain the noise and detail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Every time I hear claims like "1/5th of the original" I have to roll my eyes.

@starplayer, Maybe you don't realize it, but the "original" is probably not 5x your size but more like 270x your size. You are just doing 1/5 on something which was already shrunk to 1/54. Piling on the damage.

Scott
    Quote Quote