VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just saw a s-vhs vcr that doesn't have any separate s-video jack, but instead only supports s-video quality through scart. Is there any difference in picture quality whether using a s-vhs vcr's scart socket (with a scart s-video adapter) or a s-video jack?
    Maybe the question has been asked before, didn't see anyone like this at first glimpse though
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Desve View Post
    I just saw a s-vhs vcr that doesn't have any separate s-video jack, but instead only supports s-video quality through scart. Is there any difference in picture quality whether using a s-vhs vcr's scart socket (with a scart s-video adapter) or a s-video jack?
    Maybe the question has been asked before, didn't see anyone like this at first glimpse though
    Assuming it truly is a s-video signal (luma on one pair, chroma on another separate pair) then I don't see a reason why it would be bad. There may be worse cross talk than with a real s-video cable (just a guess as I don't work with SCART) but having the chroma and luma already separated should be much better than a normal composite signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    There shouldn't be any difference if you're using proper cables and connectors.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Originally Posted by Desve View Post
    I just saw a s-vhs vcr that doesn't have any separate s-video jack, but instead only supports s-video quality through scart. Is there any difference in picture quality whether using a s-vhs vcr's scart socket (with a scart s-video adapter) or a s-video jack?
    There may be worse cross talk than with a real s-video cable (just a guess as I don't work with SCART) but having the chroma and luma already separated should be much better than a normal composite signal.
    Hmm, just guessing here, but do you, or anyone who works with scart, know if this might have anything to do with the audio and video cables going into the same socket, scart, instead of the cables going to each respective seperate jack into the vcr directly (for example the s-video cable going straight into s-video jack and the audio cables going into each respective seperate audio jacks of the s-vhs vcr)? Does any mix/blending/merging or issue in cross talk occur because of the scart cable? Maybe the 21 pins scart connector doesn't mix/merge or worsen the cross talk between the the audio and video signals to any noticable difference? Just wondering
    It might have been vague explained, this is a new territory
    Last edited by Desve; 9th May 2019 at 02:39.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    There shouldn't be any difference if you're using proper cables and connectors.
    Ok, sounds good. I've found a scart to composite/s-video adapter so I've probably sorted it out in case I purchase this s-vhs vcr (JVC HR-S5970, no tbc though)
    Quote Quote  
  6. SCART S-Video use CVBS for Y signal and C signal is usually routed over Red component signal path (thus condition to keep them separate is fulfilled) but, SCART standard allow to use instead Red component any other remaining component (i.e. Green or Blue). Cheap S-Video SCART adapters may have internally combined Y and C to CVBS (thus they violate S-Video principle to keep separated Y and C signals) .
    It can be easily verified even without ohm meter by simply visual inspection how adapter is wired internally.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I see, I guess I'd go for a slightly little more expensive brand scart cable then like Hama scart to S-video and doesnt support composite (just 13$) https://www.elgiganten.se/product/tv-bild/kablar-och-adapters-tv-bild/HAMA122238/hama-...&gclsrc=aw.ds#
    Quote Quote