VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to remove or edit two fields from the 'details' tab on certain MKV files. I have seen dozens and dozens of threads on this, but ABSOLUTELY NO ANSWERS.

It seems to me that this should be simple; I can't understand why there is not a simple solution for this. Anyway.

The two fields I am trying to delete or edit are 'Title' and 'Comments'. Normally, I could open the Header Editor portion of MKVToolNix, click on 'Segment information', title, and change or remove the title from here. For some reason, however; the program insists that "This Element is not currently present in the file...." when it clearly is; A simple right click and examining the properties for this file shows a title in the title field. Even if I "Add Element" through Header Editor and save the file, the original title persists.

And I can find absolutely nowhere to even attempt to delete the 'comments' field.

Using the "Remove Properties and Personal Information" part of Windows Explorer DOES NOT WORK; Either creating a copy with all possible properties removed or Removing the following properties from this file both return a File Access Denied error (yes I am administrator).

Obviously trying to edit the values directly in Windows Explorer does not work either.

There MUST be a solution for this, but hours and hours of searching have turned up nothing, except dozens of dead-end threads like I said. Can anyone offer any help to this bewildering problem? Is there perhaps other software I should be using?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The file might be using Matroska tags. Unfortunately, MKVToolNix does not provide a GUI to easily edit those.

If you are not happy with writing XML you can try some 3rd party software like hubblec4's ChapterEditor or mp3tag.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    The file might be using Matroska tags.
    If you are not happy with writing XML you can try some 3rd party software like hubblec4's ChapterEditor or mp3tag.
    Thanks for the advice. I read up on hubblec4 chapter editor; especially the "Matroska Tags" editor software. Unfortunately, all the links there are dead; the software is no longer available.
    Quote Quote  
  4. From what I understand the tag editor is integrated into the ChapterEditor software. You click "Matroska Tools" on the left to find it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    From what I understand the tag editor is integrated into the ChapterEditor software. You click "Matroska Tools" on the left to find it.
    Thanks. I'm an idiot sometimes. Anyway, this seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Now, I just need to figure out how to use it, because when I try to save; I get an "External Program Not Found" error. Lol. First World Problems.

Thanks again, and I'm going to go learn how to use this software.................
    Quote Quote  
  6. You need to set the path to MKVToolNix in the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    You need to set the path to MKVToolNix in the settings.
    Yup. Got it. Thanks a billion.
    Quote Quote