VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Long ago I learned about DD-WRT, an "open-source alternative firmware for routers." The article from where I took this phrase adds:
    Your router is only as good as its firmware, the software that makes it tick. When you buy a router from Linksys/Cisco, Netgear, D-Link, or others, you’re bound to their software. It’s a nice arrangement; you respect their limitations, and they promise to help with your problems. But what if your warranty’s expired, or you want to shuck their limitations? Maybe you want to take your hardware and push it to its most extreme limits. That’s where DD-WRT steps in.

Its software unlocks features that aren’t present on all routers: static routing, VPN, repeating functions, the list goes on. It also unlocks settings that aren’t accessible normally, like antenna power and overclocking.

Well, my old Philips BDP3200X Blu-ray player hasn't firmware updates available anymore. And here is what I ask you guys to please help me with: Is there any kind of DD-WRT for DVD or Blu-ray players out of warranty like mine, some sort of generic or universal firmware I can use to make my old player better?

TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no such thing as universal/generic firmware for Blu-ray players. Plus updates mostly address new DRM strategies used on recently released movies.
    Neither the Blu-ray Disc Association nor movie studios would want to make information about those available to anyone other than manufacturers of Blu-ray players licensed by the BDA.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is no such thing as universal/generic firmware for Blu-ray players. Plus updates mostly address new DRM strategies used on recently released movies.
    Neither the Blu-ray Disc Association nor movie studios would want to make information about those available to anyone other than manufacturers of Blu-ray players licensed by the BDA.
    I understand that perfectly, but what I had in mind—and please don't forget I'm an absolute noob in the matter—is that my player came with access to YouTube and Picasa(!) and now they're gone. YT shows only its logo on a black screen and Picasa... is dead.

So sad there isn't such thing. I hope some open-source guy or guys one fine day decide to work on that.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Paultx; 23rd Apr 2021 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DD-WRT itself isn't truly universal. It only works for some models, and then only because the manufacturer approves and cooperated with DD-WRT's developers.

The companies which manufacture Blu-ray disc players would never be interested in supporting an open-source universal firmware, nor would the BDA. They are obsessive about keeping DRM methods and other proprietary information secret. Plus, they want customers to replace their players frequently, and most players are now not built to last a long time anyway.

Picasa is pretty much dead online for everyone because Google retired Picasa's photo-sharing website in 2016 and moved everything to Google Photos.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. hardware players have limited support for things like yt or picassa..

when online services changes libraries like yt.. your player becomes archaic..

like old sony tvs or wdtv players..
    Quote Quote