VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have seen mkv files 50% or even more compression from BD original, while there is not significant quality loss from original BD quality.
    How to achieve best results of BD to smaller mkv conversion, when maintaining 1080 resolution?
    What is best software for this?

I have 2 options to start: BD not encrypted or full size mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by roberta View Post
    I have seen mkv files 50% or even more compression from BD original, while there is not significant quality loss from original BD quality.
    No you haven't. You either have a very liberal definition of "not significant" or you did not compare the file 50% smaller to the original.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You'll never get agreement on what is acceptable quality loss. YOU have to make that call. Just encode a few minutes of video with a few different tools and decide for yourself. It won't take long to do, and will be faster than waiting for answers here. Handbrake and MeGUI are pretty good tools to start with.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One quick and dirty way is to ditch the lossless audio and keep the core steam, sometimes thats 25% of the source. Far as the video there is always loss, its just is it annoying or not. Some stuff I can recode with CRF 18 and see no issues, while others I have to do at crf 16 and can still tell something is off.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  5. The content I am trying to squeeze are live albums from my bluray disks. Purpose is to omit menus and extras and copy only main content to HDD.
    For comparison I have downloaded few examples, where main content total is compressed to 30% of original - there certainly is some quality loss but until clarity of 1080 is present it's difficult to notice.
    Good point mentioned here, is to check size of sound tracks - there might be some unused tracks consuming a lot of space.
    But MakeMKV and MKVToolNix doesn't provide audio track size of BD content, how to check?

Preparing to check out Handbrake next.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by roberta; 3rd May 2019 at 04:20.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Correct the tools dont in byte sense. But if they say DTS lossless or Dolby truehd and and has a core sub checkmark you can factor in 10-28Mbps which can be huge compared to 1.5Mbps and 640Kbps. Both will sound great for most people...especially compared to DVD's max 448kbps for ac3 audio.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote