VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. I have seen mkv files 50% or even more compression from BD original, while there is not significant quality loss from original BD quality.
    How to achieve best results of BD to smaller mkv conversion, when maintaining 1080 resolution?
    What is best software for this?

Search PM
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". But I would say, so are compression artifacts.

Given the same efficiency codec, and similar settings, there is no possibility of a 50% drop in bitrate without an accompanyingly large drop in quality. BUT, depending on the choices in the settings and the type of content and the sensitivities and tastes of the watcher, some kinds of artifacts might be not noticeable or not significantly detrimental. My guess is that YOU may not notice (or care about) the difference much, but others might be more critical, myself included.

Regardless, in a more general and objective sense, the only way to get a BD down 50% in bitrate without much difference in quality (but make no bones, there will ALWAYS be some difference/loss) is to use a much more efficient codec & settings. BD usually uses AVC/h264. An HEVC/h265 re-encode could likely achieve a 50% reduction, and might even use settings more smartly to pass as nearly identical to the BD source.

Just don't be fooled into thinking you can get something for nothing.

Note, mkv or not mkv has nothing to do with it. That is just a container.

Scott

3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Encode with vidcoder and set the video encoding to 16 constant quality.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    roberta-please do not open 2 threads about the same subject,this thread is closed.Continue in your previous thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393048-How-to-shrink-40GB-BD-to-much-smaller-mkv-w...l-quality-loss
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.