VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The subject is new to me so I´m asking somebody to give some good suggestions about-probably-green screen editor.
    What I want is to Photoshop similar action-to cut out objects and put on another background as a video into another video file.
    If I intend to cut out f.i.ppl in video file but change video´s background to another.
    How do I do? Will the persons follow their movements or you can clearly see blending lines?
    How to ev.make green screen background of video file and put into another then erase green screen.Such kind of questions.
    The way they make in different commercials.
    Please give some tips about which software would do the job.
    Tried to read a bit but need some good pointing in right direction.
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try watching some of these video's.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCufB8sMVyP9JEScMjLz74YA
    Quote Quote  
  3. It sounds like you're talking about rotoscoping in the first instance and green screen in the second. If you're already familiar with Photoshop you may want to try After Effects which is like Photoshop for motion. (Its a little intimidating at first -- but remember you don't have to learn everything at once, just the parts you need.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks,guys. Found some vids for Cyberlink PowerDirector,which I´m mostly using right now for archiving vhs tapes.Tried a bit but the picture-in-picture as described doesn´t seem to be very clear for front video.Don´t know if I´m missing something...quess some more practice needed. Loaded free Filmora version but not happy with the result.As I understand there are 2 different issues with green screen. Much easier to record ON green screen background,then copy and implement onto another video,as majority of ppl describe.But when it comes to video-in-video thing, it seems to be a bit complicated to achieve satisfactory outcome.
    As I remember DaVinci Studio is not free software and needs some extra equipment/devices to run this correctly.
    I´m not very familiar with Adobe After Effects or Premiere,but will give a shot.
    And last question:
    By using green screen-can I cut out and export into another video file only person/-s or is it possible to implement the whole action and just put another background?
    I mean-as mentioned above-to have full control with quality,no blackouts or misscoloured the main video,keeping sharpeness and contrast.
    There are lots of commercials which are made that way.
    Any idea what software they are using?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It sounds like you may be using the term "green screen" to describe several types of compositing. Why not post a sample of a few seconds of what you're doing for some more specific advice. You can either upload it directly or (in this case) even post it to youtube or similar.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for reply.
    I´m investigating possibilities how to do that for next 2-3 weeks,but can describe what a goal I want to achieve.
    Dancing group video...with shit dirty dark (black) background (wall) and dirty dark brown slitaged floor.
    Another problem might be they have also dark (black costumes).
    Intension is to cut them out somehow and put either nice picture or video as a background.
    Wall and floor can be splittet or both with the same picture eventually...like they are floating in the air/over the floor.
    Could u advice how/what to do?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ideally you want to paint the walls and floor green (or blue) and create as much visual separation (by chrominance or luminance) as you can between the dancers and the background. If you're going to try to separate them from the background manually after the fact you're in for a long few weeks.

If you shoot it properly in the first place, you have lots of software options for compositing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oki...will get full vids next week after rehearsal. Will stick to Cyberlink,Sony Vegas and Filmora.If doesn´t work then as u say,there are other options.
    THANKS!
    Quote Quote  
  9. @smrpix
    Didn´t work so well...
    Ended up with rotoskoping in After Effects...none of the other options to change background with any other software worked satisfactory way.
    So the file I got has 30 fps...do I need to be very carefull with roto brush or can it be some small mistakes/mislines? With that speed our eye doesn´t catch any difference and have only 2 weeks to make it. How carefull u must be with rotoskoping? This is my first rotoskoping and a quick fix...I´ll have more time to correct it later. Advice?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Miramar239 View Post
    @smrpix
    Didn´t work so well...
    Ended up with rotoskoping in After Effects...none of the other options to change background with any other software worked satisfactory way.
    So the file I got has 30 fps...do I need to be very carefull with roto brush or can it be some small mistakes/mislines? With that speed our eye doesn´t catch any difference and have only 2 weeks to make it. How carefull u must be with rotoskoping? This is my first rotoskoping and a quick fix...I´ll have more time to correct it later. Advice?
    I tried to advise you to do it on a green or blue background. Rotoscoping a group of dancers is likely to be difficult and tedious. Try doing a few seconds and see how much inaccuracy you're willing to tolerate.

Here are a couple of tutorials that may help:

https://nofilmschool.com/2016/02/3-tips-might-make-masking-rotoscoping-quicker-less-painful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6-WWlJ_Vf8
    Quote Quote  
  11. I´ve realized that 5-6 ppl will be too much of a work,so I´ve chosen only one dancer who has perfect moves and want to make test video to see how it´ll look on any other background.
    I´ve watched those vids already...get slowly around idea how it should be done.
    Two questions:
    -how eventually to put green/blue screen on such shitty background,what soft do u recommend?
    -Can I "freeze/render" file I´ve already made without risking starting from beginning?
    Quote Quote  
  12. You can't really add the green later, nor do you want to. The green is the means to an end. Greenscreen is used to help create a cutout matte that allows you pace you image onto a different background. Rotoscoping is another way to create that matte.

As for keeping and saving work. Simply save and backup your After Effects project. Save early and often.

If you are going to export intermediate sections, use a lossless or near lossless codec like ProRes or DNxHD or Quicktime Animation.

Remember too that you can copy any roto matte you have created by simply copying the effect from one layer to another or even into another timeline or project.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Maybe I misunderstood u earlier that it could be possible to add green screen afterwards...sorry.
    I noticed also a longer time to load and work with longer clip. I think good idea would be probably to split clip in few shorter sections which will be quicker for pc to work with...
    Thanks mate for all infos and help...
    Quote Quote