VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

Threaded View

1. Member
    Search PM
    I am in need of a second Video capture card for my other computer. I will be primarily using it for VHS rips and some TV rips. I currently have Hauppage Collossus 1 and very satisfied with its performance even with its occasional hanging due to software. I was originally looking for another Colossus 1 but it seems like it no longer is found anywhere. I am considering and wondering if Colossus 2 will actually perform that well with VHS as 1? Any opinions with the comparision between the two? If there are any other recommendations I am open to them. Also I have tried Diamond VC500 already. It seems to have a driver issues with my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hauppage Live 2 USB will work. I use it in preference over the Diamond because I get a larger selection in the proc amp in Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    I am in need of a second Video capture card for my other computer. I will be primarily using it for VHS rips and some TV rips. I currently have Hauppage Collossus 1 and very satisfied with its performance even with its occasional hanging due to software. I was originally looking for another Colossus 1 but it seems like it no longer is found anywhere. I am considering and wondering if Colossus 2 will actually perform that well with VHS as 1? Any opinions with the comparision between the two? If there are any other recommendations I am open to them. Also I have tried Diamond VC500 already. It seems to have a driver issues with my computer.
    How do you rip VHS? How do you rip TV?
    Oh, you don't mean rip. I think you mean capture. Right?
    I'll go in the klitchen and rip a sandwich while you think about it. Meanwhile, read this:
    Rip
    To take off the audio or video from a CD or DVD. Often CD Audio is "ripped" to MP3 files or DVD video ripped to VOB files. VCDhelp ripping
    https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Rip

Sorry to see you're wrecking VHS source with a Colossus. I'd try the Hauppauge. It does clip blacks at Y=16, but if you think your denatured colossus encodes look OK you'll never know the difference. At least the Hauppauge is optimized for analog source and has capture options including a couple that leave your VHS signal more intact.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yes I mean capture. I am using Panasonic AG-1980 to play the tape and I connected it to the card with S-Video cable and two audio wires. AG-1980 has the builtin TBC so external TBC is not necessary. Colossus is Hauppauge. What do you mean :

"wrecking VHS source with a Colossus. I'd try the Hauppauge. It does clip blacks at Y=16,"?

Which Hauppauge are you referring to that keeps the VHS signal more intact?

Sample of Colossus 1 with AG-1980.
    Last edited by RS456; 29th Apr 2019 at 08:53.
    Quote Quote