VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there folks.

Long story short:
    I want to create (full blown) 3D cinematic trailer, and show that to some producers, asking for funds for complete 90 min. 3D animated movie.
    The settings is medieval Europe (Serbia), and Ottoman invasion towards Europe.

Before I went into a (complex) environment creation, and hire people to do me (complex) character models, I wanted to create animatic to make sure everything works in terms of pacing, and composition.
    So, here it is:
    https://youtu.be/s6QgS69EIa4
    (please, ignore the bad graphics and animation (all will be replaced) (this is just animatic, focus on camera, cuts, overall pacing ),

I'd like to hear any advice how to improve this, any ideas what to change, please tell me whatever is bothering you, etc...
    Help me make this epic!

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. From your video I can't tell what's unique or original about your proposed project either visually or narratively. If you can express that, even pencil drawings would do the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well... I can assure you that Slavic countries history is sufficiently visually attractive itself - no need to imitate fantasy...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    From your video I can't tell what's unique or original about your proposed project either visually or narratively. If you can express that, even pencil drawings would do the trick.
    Thanks mate.
    Yeah... well... I kinda figure it out like this: Braveheart is not having anything new (visually or narratively) in comparison (for example) to Ben Hur", yet, it amazing movie (imho).
    But I agreed with you (not trying to defend), and you definitely gave me questions to think of.
    Thanks again.

Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Well... I can assure you that Slavic countries history is sufficiently visually attractive itself - no need to imitate fantasy...
    Thanks.
    As I said in my initial post, please ignore the graphics. These are just 2 random rigged characters I took to establish basic poses, and basic animation. After the characters are done, they will be nothing like this.
    Maybe something like this: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/knight-test-dd5102713bdd4bf48d314b16ec368594
    (although, even that one is too much fantasy, perhaps).
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would recommend you watch Ben Hur and Braveheart side by side if you don't understand that they are very different stories told in uniquely different visual styles. Still, I wish you the best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks smrpix.
    It's obviously then that I don't understand these stuff.
    Anything, you can think of, that can help me better understand (some literature, tutorial, anything...) these stuff?
    Would be appreciated very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My thoughts:
    You've got a (hate to say it, but will: ) SLOW moving fight scene. Not holding my interest, even though I am somewhat aware of history of that area.

1. *Where is the story?* That needs to show through in a trailer also.
    2. Look at the pacing of fight scenes in trailers: IT.DOESN'T.STOP! Yours should be choreographed & camera blocked to emphasize the highlights of a fight, then cut down to just the crucial visceral elements (where in or out of context, depending). Which means you'd need much more to start with prior to the edit.
    3. Those animatics don't need to be natural motion, but they do need to be consistent motion. Yours don't seem to be.
    4. STORY -> SCRIPT -> STORYBOARD & SHOTSHEET -> PENCIL PREVIZ -> 3D MODEL for Animatic -> ANIMATIC. Have you done all the previous stuff?
    5. Character, Character, Character (like "location, location, location"). This is central to engaging story, probably even more than PLOT (though I'm a firm believer in PLOT).

Hope that helps,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey Cornucopia.
    Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed suggestions (with questions).
    It will help a lot. I will re-read it many times, and I might have some questions.

Basically I have, like an extended synopsis (4-5 pages) for a whole movie. I've planned to give it to some dramaturg to improve it, and then to start writing screenplay.
    Meanwhile, I am trying to create something like a trailer for the movie. My goal for the trailer is to show two opposed knights (each from different clan/state) fight each-other, and they are so busy with a bloody fight, they don't see the approaching "akindžije" (raiding ottomans troops (usually plundering before invasion).
    Good news is this is only the first rough animatic draft, and I can try create better one.
    Also, I will soon start making some environment that I will use.

Hopefully, soon I'll have something new for update, and meanwhile, every suggestions like yours, are more then welcome, and appreciated.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Intercut approaching troops (and their destructive wake) w the battle, perhaps in ever increasing frequency. You are showing the viewer something that the characters should know but don’t. This creates dramatic tension in the viewers = good. Common tool in suspense e.g. H*i*t*c*h*c*o*c*k (gotcha censor).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 1st May 2019 at 17:54.
    Quote Quote