VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a spreadsheet that contains links in a cell to play a particular video from my computer. The video plays fine but what if I want to start that video from a particular position. For example, I want to add a link in a spreadsheet cell to play a video from the starting position of 1 minute, 20 seconds. Is there a way to add a suffix to the URL to start at that position? I have read that Google can do that from a Drive file, but this is not on my Google Drive.

Thanks in advance
    Terry
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by SeattleVideo View Post
    I have a spreadsheet that contains links in a cell to play a particular video from my computer. The video plays fine but what if I want to start that video from a particular position. For example, I want to add a link in a spreadsheet cell to play a video from the starting position of 1 minute, 20 seconds. Is there a way to add a suffix to the URL to start at that position? I have read that Google can do that from a Drive file, but this is not on my Google Drive.

What player or interface ? URL usually deals with a web host , if it's local on your computer you can call it with ffplay as the player using -ss for start time (hours : minutes : seconds)

eg.
    ffplay -i "input.mp4" -ss 00:01:20

If it's through a html5 browser like chrome, firefox , you can use #t=00:01:20 in the src tag
    eg.
    <source src="input.mp4#t=00:01:20" type="video/mp4">
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to call ffplay from Excel or start the video another way? I can create a link inside a cell and point it to the mp4 file to run it but Excel does not recognize the "time start" extension, it will just play it from the beginning.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try a link to a MM metafile, such as ASX or SMIL, etc. (aka "playlist"). Excel should still treat it the same, and you can edit the metafile to have a particular start time, loop time, etc.

<edit>Yep, just tried it. Works perfectly with ASX linking to an MP4. Started 2 minutes in. Just make sure you understand about relative vs. absolute paths (better if it's relative here, and should ALREADY be in same subdir when starting out).</edit>

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 29th Apr 2019 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote