VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I recently started using Adobe Premier Pro CC.
    When I want to trim for example one minute part from a 2 hours video and save, I have to wait long rendering process. Is there an easy and fast way in order to trim or split a video? Because my aim is not editing the video but only trimming or splitting. When I trim or split video and save, can't the program save the trimmed video keeping the original video settings unchanged? Because the program can't output the trimmed video without entering output specs in Export screen. As I see, Match Sequence Settings doesn't do it. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by OS_Man View Post
    Hello,

I recently started using Adobe Premier Pro CC.
    When I want to trim for example one minute part from a 2 hours video and save, I have to wait long rendering process. Is there an easy and fast way in order to trim or split a video? Because my aim is not editing the video but only trimming or splitting. When I trim or split video and save, can't the program save the trimmed video keeping the original video settings unchanged? Because the program can't output the trimmed video without entering output specs in Export screen. As I see, Match Sequence Settings doesn't do it. Thank you.
    In general, it's the wrong tool for the job , for most types of video . It can only "smart render" certain formats, mostly I-frame ones . There should be a list on their site. This means it stream copies or passes through the video untouched, instead of re-encoding

You would use something else like avidemux, or vdub in direct stream copy mode. But for most types of video, they are non I-frame , so the cuts are not always exact (might be a bit off) - because cuts can only be made on a keyframe without re-encoding

To be exact, you need one that can smart render only the few frames that encoded around a cutsite, if it's not on a I-frame . e.g. videoredo, solveigmm video splitter, tmpg smart renderer
    Quote Quote  
  3. Rendering time is based on a number of factors -- the source codec, the output codec, raster size the length of the clip, the number and type of effects applied...etc.

Are you certain you're only rendering the one minute? Do your Sequence settings match your source settings? Maybe you should describe your process in more detail starting from your source material's specs.

Premiere Pro will smart render a few codecs, which is extremely fast, but they are mostly non-consumer formats.

"Match Sequence settings" matches basically raster size, frame rate and color depth. The term is accurate, but a little misleading.
    Last edited by smrpix; 26th Apr 2019 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I use a capture card to capture videos from cassettes in mpeg2 and TS format. The size of videos are generally between 1 GB and 8 GB. Sometimes, I need trimming some parts of these videos.
    When I import a video, I want the program to see the specifications automatically without having to specify them with a preset. The trimming parts may be one minute or more. After trimming unwanted parts from the video, I want the program to see the specifications of the source video and save it without making any changes. Since I don't want to edit or convert video to another format, I want the recording to be very fast after trim and split operations. Do I use a very complicated program for a simple operation? Perhaps, as you say, I should only use programs for this purpose.

Thank you for your answers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. To create your timeline in Premiere, drag your source clip onto the New Item icon at the bottom of the project window, it looks like a piece of paper with the corner folded. This will insure that your sequence matches your source "automatically." Since you have been vague about raster size and frame rate, non-matching sequence settings (or an incredibly weak computer) are the likely culprits.

As mentioned, in most cases you will have to re-encode to similar specs -- but there's no way a one minute clip should take two hours.

Poisondeathray's advice is always excellent, so you may want to see if some of those other programs work for you as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    but there's no way a one minute clip should take two hours.
    smrpix, there is a misunderstanding because of my English. I didn’t say one minute clip took two hours to save. I wanted to say that I trimmed one minute video from a two hours video. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "I have to wait long rendering process".
    It varies according the size of the video. The saving takes 10 mins or 20 mins after trimming or splitting in Adobe P. If it is a big video, it may take 30 mins or more too. I use an average PC. You may think 10-20 or 30 mins are normal time for saving process.

My video specs are similar to this : (My videos don’t have high resolutions like fullhd or more)

Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 4.07 GiB
    Duration : 1h 1mn
    Overall bit rate : 9 540 Kbps
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 9 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits

I’m sorry, my question is not clear perhaps. I will ask in another way now.

Is it a good idea to use a professional program like Adobe Premiere Pro for only trimming, splitting video without any editing and converting process? Is there a quick and easy way to trim and split video or do all programs take the same time?

My aim is to import a video like above specs and trim some unwanted parts then save. When I do this in Adobe Premier Pro, I always have to enter values in Export screen. I want the program save the trimmed video keeping the source video settings, quality without having to enter video format, bitrate, frame rate etc. every time.

I will try another program like poisondeathray said. But, it is very important that the quality of the video shouldn’t be distorted after trimming and splitting. If Adobe Premier Pro keeps the quality as same as the source video, I will continue using it although I have to enter export settings every time.
    Quote Quote