VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Thread
  1. Hello,
    even though there are better vcr decks, I'm searching for a s-vhs vcr in the "middle segment" at the moment, which is still worth the price compared to other vcr's in that price range or level. I read that vcrs, or some of them, that support multi format, ntsc pal and secam don't improve the the playback quality when it comes to standard vhs tapes, but instead has the primary strength to play secam tapes a bit better - http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html (at least for panasonic modells) under Secam. However does this also apply to other vcrs other than panasonic and the panasonic rebadged samsung vcrs listed in the link? So you should buy a s-vhs vcr that doesn't support secam, ntsc and pal if your primary goal is to get above average or good looking video playback quality when playing standard pal vhs tapes?
    I've been looking in the local market because of lower shipping cost and to increase the chances to get a vcr that has the same region format and maybe even that has the same "miniregion" (northern europe) as the tapes were originally recorded. But I might expand the view and look up vcrs on amazon co uk or on amazon com later on to get more alternatives.
    I've been looking at JVC HR-S7700EU keep in mind this is the eu version, so it has a built in TBC. On the other hand, this unit supports both SECAM, PAL and NTSC playback: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/84265/Jvc-Hr-S7700eu.html
    You can play back PAL, NTSC and MESECAM tapes, or
    record PAL and SECAM* signals on this recorder. Select the
    appropriate colour system.
    the standard format is however Pal:
    Format : S-VHS/VHS PAL standard
    . despite that I guess this goes under the category multi format support which isn't the most optimal for playing standard vhs and getting as good video quality as possible for this price range and segment?


    Next candidate is panasonic nv-hs820eg-u
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/649111/Panasonic-Nv-Hs820-Series.html

    It also seems to support S-VHS-ET tape playback. Does this also make the playback video quality for standard vhs tapes not as good as it could have been?
    This doesn't have a built in TBC so I guess the other model is better in that aspect.

    It also supports Ntsc as well
    "To Play Back NTSC Video Cassettes on
    Your PAL TV
    (Quasi-NTSC Playback Function)
    This VCR allows playback of tapes recorded in the NTSC
    system on a normal PAL system TV with the same operations
    as usual." And also seems to support PAL and SECAM "TV system: To select the type of colour TV
    system to be used during playback
    or during recording from an external
    source.
    Set the colour TV system as follows:
    [AUTO]: The VCR automatically
    distinguishes PAL, SECAM/
    MESECAM system. If the picture
    lacks colour, set to [PAL] or
    [MESECAM].
    [PAL]: When PAL system is used.
    [MESECAM]: When SECAM system is used.
    Since it wasn't too uncommon that the later released pal vcrs included support for ntsc playback, maybe it doesnt classify those as multi format supportive vcrs (the kind that don't have the best quality possible for standard playback because of multi format support, to clarify) but instead it also needs secam playback support too to be classified as it? Maybe it depends on the modell too, certain modell decreases in playback quality for standard tapes when other formats such as secam is supported? Maybe I got this wrong though
    So basically I'm looking for something standard at the moment that supports s-vhs pal tapes that outputs above average quality when recording, to get the digital transfer done soon and maybe invest in a more heavy equipment later on

    It would be cool if you could comment on the questions above, as I'm quite new at this
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    99% of PAL VCRs can DISPLAY NTSC or SECAM to a modern PAL television.
    That DOES NOT mean that you can record/capture this "Quasi" signal.
    As a matter of fact, it is VERY difficult to record/capture this "quasi" signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    99% of PAL VCRs can DISPLAY NTSC or SECAM to a modern PAL television.
    That DOES NOT mean that you can record/capture this "Quasi" signal.
    As a matter of fact, it is VERY difficult to record/capture this "quasi" signal.
    Ok, only the first one, JVC HR-S7700EU can capture SECAM signals. It also has a s-vhs et recording mode. Even though it's not a panasonic or a rebadge of it, does this make it fall under the category stated here http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html#post37137 , which probably doesn't enhance the video quality for standard vhs tapes, pal, as much as it could have unlike similar s-vhs vcrs in that price range or level? Maybe it varies depending on the modell?
    Has anyone here tried this vcr out to see how good the video quality recording is for standard tapes, PAL format?

    Also looking at a HR-S5950EU, it says it can record SECAM signals and has a S-VHS ET recording mode. I wonder how the playback output quality is for standard tapes, standard recording mode is though. It also lacks a TBC
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about an Aiwa (W)HVMX100?
    I had one of those in America.....probably still floating around in one of my family's attics.
    That is a CONVERTING VCR.....you can tell by the HUGE price tags on them back in the day.
    NOT made for quality.

    And by "record SECAM"....do you mean your ability to capture a SECAM tape?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would not want to upset you, but it is almost impossible to capture the so-called. quasi signal. So most likely it will not work. Excuse me!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would say yes, the Multi System VCR's never in my experience created the same quality as a stand alone ntsc or pal vcr. I never dealt with Secam thank God.

    I did scores of vhs transfers and used a video recorder as could never get on with computer capture. Of course most quality VCR's are now , what, at least 10 years old, outside of use, the parts become difficult in use just because of age.

    I use JVC 8965 for pal and a NTSC equivalent, but also found panasonic good, even sharp. Your mileage will vary according to age of tape/quality of recording in the first place,

    Typically its best to play tapes back on same vcr they were recorded on or same brand/vintage.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Are you talking about an Aiwa (W)HVMX100?
    I had one of those in America.....probably still floating around in one of my family's attics.
    That is a CONVERTING VCR.....you can tell by the HUGE price tags on them back in the day.
    NOT made for quality.
    Yes, exactly. They probably sounded impressive with the wide support for various tape formats in the beginning though

    And by "record SECAM"....do you mean your ability to capture a SECAM tape?
    yes, so basically I wanted to check what features make a vcr being classified "multi format" (and get placed in that special category under SECAM in the link), and I assume it includes conversion and/or capture of multi formats and not just playback of secam, ntsc and pal tapes etc, which the latter, like you said earlier, were common on later released pal vcrs. Just to know which vcrs that I should avoid, that not necessarily have to be identical to the Aiwa (W)HVMX100, but vcrs that have quasi similar features, (that is a vcr that offers multi support for various formats at the expence of not enhancing the video quality of standard tapes and "standard" record modes as much as they could have). I prefer as good video quality as possible in this segment and price range when I'll be transfering my standard vhs pal tapes video to my computer
    This might sound a bit vague, but I havn't done this sort of things before
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    I would not want to upset you, but it is almost impossible to capture the so-called. quasi signal. So most likely it will not work. Excuse me!

    Has it been done before succesfully?
    Luckily I don't have to bother with SECAM tapes for the moment being
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post

    I did scores of vhs transfers and used a video recorder as could never get on with computer capture. Of course most quality VCR's are now , what, at least 10 years old, outside of use, the parts become difficult in use just because of age.
    Video recorder as in e.g a dvd recorder? If I got that right? Did it work well compared to computer capture?
    DVD recorders can be pretty reliable with a stable signal while recording/transfering from what I've read, even though there arent as many formats and settings to choose from. I've been thinking of using a dvd recorder instead or as a complement
    Quote Quote  
  10. I did have a dvd recorder which captured Pal 60(Which is what the quasi signal is called when a ntsc vhs is played back on a pal vcr). I think it was this unit:-

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-DVDR-75-DVD-Recorder-PAL-220-240v-DVDR75-001/143151141912?epid=85063383&hash=item2154791418:gIcAAOSw8ihcdudH

    I recorded 100's of vhs onto dvd discs and am now using that material to convert to mkv using handbrake to put on my streaming system.

    I tried Computer capture , could never get reliable captures or, for me, dvd quality, I did not have the inkling/patience to learn avi synth et al.

    Given some VHS were recorded in the 1990's I am getting quite acceptable quality to watch on a 46" inch LCD Sony TV. It is 11 years old and is not a smart TV so I use wd TV to stream from my NAS.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Desve View Post
    Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    I would not want to upset you, but it is almost impossible to capture the so-called. quasi signal. So most likely it will not work. Excuse me!

    Has it been done before succesfully?
    Luckily I don't have to bother with SECAM tapes for the moment being
    I've done NTSC tapes in a PAL machine (PAL60) via a computer capture device(Hauppauge USB2) but I understand full well that I am extremely lucky in this regard.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I've done NTSC tapes in a PAL machine (PAL60) via a computer capture device(Hauppauge USB2) but I understand full well that I am extremely lucky in this regard.
    That's a good achievement
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    I did have a dvd recorder which captured Pal 60(Which is what the quasi signal is called when a ntsc vhs is played back on a pal vcr). I think it was this unit:-

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-DVDR-75-DVD-Recorder-PAL-220-240v-DVDR75-001/143151141912?epid=85063383&hash=item2154791418:gIcAAOSw8ihcdudH

    I recorded 100's of vhs onto dvd discs and am now using that material to convert to mkv using handbrake to put on my streaming system.

    I tried Computer capture , could never get reliable captures or, for me, dvd quality, I did not have the inkling/patience to learn avi synth et al.

    Given some VHS were recorded in the 1990's I am getting quite acceptable quality to watch on a 46" inch LCD Sony TV. It is 11 years old and is not a smart TV so I use wd TV to stream from my NAS.
    Ok, to get that kind of quality on such big TVs with high resolution is good. Would you recommend that dvd recorder for recording PAL signals, Pal tapes, region pal b/g, 25fps at 720x576?
    Last edited by Desve; 3rd May 2019 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member dellsam34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Paris Ca, 92345 Mexico
    Search PM
    There are two types or categories of multisystem/multistandard VCR's, 1-the ones that convert from a standard to another and 2-the ones that playback each standard in its native frame rate (they are usually labeled 525/625). Most of them in both categories have the option to playback NTSC on a PAL TV a.k.a PAL 60 and MESECAM (another weird format for the Middle East sort of SECAM 60), Both PAL60 and MESECAM are not an official VHS standard, They are just put out there for playback compatibility for other countries without having to buy a multistandard TV, So lets put those two weird standards aside since they don't belong to a proper capturing practice, Capturing those you are converting to another standard on the fly.

    For the second category of multisystem VCR's (Dual engine 525/625) I mentioned above they are as good as a single standard VCR for playing back and recording tapes in both formats PAL and NTSC, I don't think there is a PAL/NTSC/SECAM machine in this category since SECAM is a little oddball. There might be PAL/SECAM machines.

    There is quite few native PAL/NTSC VHS machines out there made by JVC, Toshiba and some other manufacturers, But for S-VHS very few models ever existed in PAL/NTSC, If you want line TBC your choice will come down to only one model made by JVC the HR-S7600AM. And yes I captured both PAL and NTSC tapes with this machine in their native formats and the quality is phenomenal.

    The bottom line is if you can't get a native multistandard VCR (525/625) your best second option is to playback each tape in its native machine, Often times it's cheaper to get 2 machines then chasing a good multistandard one especially if S-VHS is involved. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 4th May 2019 at 00:00. Reason: More details
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    There are two types or categories of multisystem/multistandard VCR's, 1-the ones that convert from a standard to another and 2-the ones that playback each standard in its native frame rate (they are usually labeled 525/625). Most of them in both categories have the option to playback NTSC on a PAL TV a.k.a PAL 60 and MESECAM (another weird format for the Middle East sort of SECAM 60), Both PAL60 and MESECAM are not an official VHS standard, They are just put out there for playback compatibility for other countries without having to buy a multistandard TV, So lets put those two weird standards aside since they don't belong to a proper capturing practice, Capturing those you are converting to another standard on the fly.

    For the second category of multisystem VCR's (Dual engine 525/625) I mentioned above they are as good as a single standard VCR for playing back and recording tapes in both formats PAL and NTSC, I don't think there is a PAL/NTSC/SECAM machine in this category since SECAM is a little oddball. There might be PAL/SECAM machines.

    There is quite few native PAL/NTSC VHS machines out there made by JVC, Toshiba and some other manufacturers, But for S-VHS very few models ever existed in PAL/NTSC, If you want line TBC your choice will come down to only one model made by JVC the HR-S7600AM. And yes I captured both PAL and NTSC tapes with this machine in their native formats and the quality is phenomenal.

    The bottom line is if you can't get a native multistandard VCR (525/625) your best second option is to playback each tape in its native machine, Often times it's cheaper to get 2 machines then chasing a good multistandard one especially if S-VHS is involved. Hope this helps.
    Ok good info there. I'll check out if it's native 525/625 if there is any multistandard vcr in the local market that seems promising
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads