VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When trying to play these files on my Windows 10 PC with VLC, audio is fine but video is completely pixelated. However, they play fine on my 9 yr old Zotac Zbox running Linux / Kodi which is odd.
    Could it be I just need a codec?

Windows 10 machine specs:
    - Intel Pentium G3450 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 53W BX80646G3450 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
    - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    - GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-B85M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Zotac ZBOXHD-ID34BR specs:
    - Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz, dual-core)
    - 4GB DDR2 800
    - NVIDIA ION2 (w/ 512MB DDR3 graphics memory)

Here's an example of how the video looks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	000001.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	48816
    THANKS!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you might want to update your motherboard and video drivers. it should be able to play it. cpu video isn't good but it should be ok. an added video card would be much better.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPC-HC plus LAV Filters should be a more efficient decoder for VP9. Also make sure you have downloaded the complete file before trying to play it. I've had trouble in the past with incomplete VP9 downloads from Youtube turning to mush when they are not 100% done.
    Last edited by KarMa; 24th Apr 2019 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    you might want to update your motherboard and video drivers. it should be able to play it. cpu video isn't good but it should be ok. an added video card would be much better.
    I haven't updated drivers in years, I've just relied on Windows auto updates for the latest drivers. I just tried to update them through Device Manager but Windows says I have all the best drivers already installed. What do I do, go to the manf sites?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try the different hardware decoding options in VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try the different hardware decoding options in VLC.
    I'm not sure if this was what you're talking about but I went to Input / Codecs under Preferences & under Hardware Accelerated Decoding there are 2 other options besides automatic. I tried them both.
    Quote Quote  
  7. what vlc version? Some have known vp9 decoding bugs
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by smackyourfupa View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try the different hardware decoding options in VLC.
    I'm not sure if this was what you're talking about but I went to Input / Codecs under Preferences & under Hardware Accelerated Decoding there are 2 other options besides automatic. I tried them both.
    I have four choices there: Automatic, Direct 3D 11 Video Acceleration, DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) 2.0, and Disable. What version are you using? I have "3.0.3 Vetinari".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried playing the same files with Kodi & they played without any issues so the problem is with VLC & not my PC. I'm so used to VLC playing every A/V file that I didn't even think to try playing them with a different media player before thinking the issue was with my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Perhaps you like MPC-BE, I had problems with VP9 in VLC too, exact same like in your picture.

There are two possibilities the file is decoded: software or hardware, perhaps this is also a point here. Is there a hardware decoder in your graphic card?
    Quote Quote