VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. what do you call usb drives that are not usb thumb drives that are ssd's but that you dont use as a hardrive for an operating system necessarily ?

i am just looking for an external usb ssd that gives a lot of storage like 1 terabyte or 2 terabyte.

i am unable to find ssd like that her in South Africa. its as if every pc store i go to suddenly don't know what i am talking about. they either don't stock it or just say they they don't know what you are talking about.

thanks
    Last edited by oduodui; 24th Apr 2019 at 08:51.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Amazon has many External Solid State Drives for sale.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. ah thanks external solid state drives now i know what to call them . one that connects via usb ....2.0 at least
    Quote Quote  
  4. No, you want USB 3. USB 2 is slower than normal hard drives at sequential transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In the 1-2 TB storage size, expect to pay a LOT more for SSD drives.

Also, as others have said, if you want to get the most from the increased read speed that SSDs offer, you need to have a computer (and drive) which support USB 3.0, not USB 2.0.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you just want lots of external storage on a USB 2.0 system then 2 TB and larger external hard drives are much less expensive than SSD.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  7. Anyone looking for an external SSD must be buying it for the speed. The OP may be confusing USB 2.0's theoretical 480 Mb/s with the typical SSD speed of ~500 MB/s. USB speed is measured in mega bits per second, drive speed in mega bytes per second -- an 8 fold difference. In addition, USB 2.0 has a lot of overhead so its 480 Mb/s (60 MB/s) only delivers about 30 MB/s in the real world. Either that or he has an unusual use case which consists of only small random read/writes where IOPS is more important than continuous throughput.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been rallying against buying premade external drives (unless they're cheaper than an internal) for years, because of my and others experiencing failure of the USB interface. Better to get a high quality external case and make your own.

Also, as mentioned, the speed advantage of a SSD is usually lost even on USB 3.0 since the real world transfer speed is far below the theoretical bandwidth of the interface, especially on large/sustained reads/writes. I get ~200Mb/s (small files) and ~160MB/s (large files) max over USB 3.0 with a HDD when transferring between drives. Thunderbolt would increase the transfer speed, but again still far below what the max of any drive is.
    Last edited by lingyi; 26th Apr 2019 at 12:36.
    Quote Quote