VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Looking to upgrade a 10 year old Sony HDR-SR12 with a 120 Gb hard drive and 12x optical zoom.

Purchasing for normal family videos like holidays and such... and also for sporting events like my daughters volleyball tournaments.
    Looking to go 4k with 20x or better optical.
    And assuming hard drives are no longer a regular option then probably dual SD support.
    I'm also hoping for something that has a battery capable of 4 hours or so like my current unit.
    I'd like to keep this under $1300 total.

Want to get this ASAP before the next tournament the first week of May.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. None of these are this year's model, but they're all good. A single 64G SD card will last as long as your 4 hour battery.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=1871&fct=fct_brand_name%7Ccanon%2Bfct_brand_n...p=700&mxp=1350
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    None of these are this year's model, but they're all good. A single 64G SD card will last as long as your 4 hour battery.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=1871&fct=fct_brand_name%7Ccanon%2Bfct_brand_n...p=700&mxp=1350
    The Canon G50 is this years model...actually not even out for another week. I've watched a few videos on this one already on YouTube and people were slamming it for only having 30fps at 4k instead of 60 and only 60 fps at 1080p instead of 120...people saying the tech in this new camera is years old.. What do you think about that?

As for the Sony's I might find it hard to shell out that kind of money for units that are 2 and 5 years old...

I'm assuming aside from Canon and Sony there can't be too many brands to even consider... what do you think about Panasonic?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Haven't used Panasonics in a few years, but a lot of folks like them. I like Sony for the color imaging and Canon for the glass. That said, Sony uses Zeiss lenses and Panasonic uses Leica -- so you can't go too far wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're looking for a dedicated camcorder (rather than a stills camera that does video), I give a very high recommendation to the Sony "prosumer" level AX cameras. I've found that they are better in low light situations than the Canons of a similar category. The Sony AX100 (currently $1,300 on B&H) and AX700 (currently $1,800) both have 1 inch type sensors, and shoot 4K. There's also the consumer level AX33 (currently $800), which has a smaller sensor, but better image stabilization. If 4K isn't an absolute must, the CX900 is basically the HD version of the AX100/AX700 camera, also with the 1 inch type sensor. The genuine Sony FV100 (largest capacity) batteries that these cameras use last for over 5 hours per charge. Off brand versions a little less.
    Last edited by bloodmark; 29th May 2019 at 05:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm happy with my Sony AX-53.

The internal stabilizer is great for handheld work. It absorbs a lot of vibration and unsteadiness, but you still can't be careless when following a subject.
    Quote Quote