VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using VideoReDo in Windows to remove commercials from USA MPEG-2 HDTV broadcasts and convert them to MPEG-4 mkv files so they can be easily played in Plex.

Is there a similar video editing program in Linux that can do this? I've tried some Linux video editing programs and frankly they're confusing me to death with multiple tracks, etc.

Is there a Linux video editor that can take a MPEG-2 single track, mark segments for removal (commercials), and reencode the track to MPEG-4 mkv like VideoReDo does in Windows?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    look in the Linux video tools section - https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/linux-video-tools
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
    I've been using VideoReDo in Windows to remove commercials from USA MPEG-2 HDTV broadcasts and convert them to MPEG-4 mkv files so they can be easily played in Plex.

Is there a similar video editing program in Linux that can do this? I've tried some Linux video editing programs and frankly they're confusing me to death with multiple tracks, etc.

Is there a Linux video editor that can take a MPEG-2 single track, mark segments for removal (commercials), and reencode the track to MPEG-4 mkv like VideoReDo does in Windows?

Thanks!
    All the tools which facilitate commercial removal that I have heard of over the years (Comskip, MCEBuddy, VidePub, VideoReDo, TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer, DVBViewer Video Editor) are only for Windows. I went through the list of Linux video tools section but didn't see anything there with a commercial detection and removal feature other than kmttg. However, I don't know if that feature works without a TiVo or if all the features mentioned in the description are available in the Linux version.

For me, VideoReDo TV Suite has been indispensable, although I never use the auto-detect feature to remove commercials.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the only thing that i sometimes use is Lossless Cut, but it has no automatic commercial detection.
    And it doesn't convert the video, just cuts
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't find a native Linux program, you could try running a windows program using Wine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. For that I use Flowblade. It is a fully fledged editor but removing sections and re-encoding is very easy. You still have to find the commercial breaks yourself but it is a simple as scanning the time line with your mouse, clicking 'X' to set cut points and then pressing the delete key. The remaining markers give a good indication of where the cuts were so it is clear where you might have missed one. It can re-encode in any format ffmpeg supports, which is just about all of them.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux does, no auto commercial detection but you can easily select and cut them out. Afterwards you can encode In the app or export the stream losslessly and encode with handbrake. Upside of the later is the Closed captions are preserved and can be extracted with ccextractor or if handbrake is nice exported directly to the new file
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote