VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    Usually I use the shortcut ''A'' to resize the format on my .VOB movies but sometimes there are someones who has smaller formats (pls see red narrows) so there is a gap all around the image. In the past, I discovered how to streth from right/left and up/down but I lost this information.
    Pls could you help me?
    [Attachment 48735 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by erzane View Post
    Hi,
    Usually I use the shortcut ''A'' to resize the format on my .VOB movies but sometimes there are someones who has smaller formats (pls see red narrows) so there is a gap all around the image. In the past, I discovered how to streth from right/left and up/down but I lost this information.
    Pls could you help me?
    [Attachment 48735 - Click to enlarge]
    Anybody please?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use the "Crop" feature (Video->Crop) and try different aspect ratios until you find one that hides the bars.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Use the "Crop" feature (Video->Crop) and try different aspect ratios until you find one that hides the bars.
    It's an other thing I'm looking for. I was able to stretch manualy with the narros nor left, nor right, nor down, nor up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you uncheck "Always Fit Window" under "Video" then you can adjust the window manually.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    If you uncheck "Always Fit Window" under "Video" then you can adjust the window manually.
    Maybe you missunderstood. I'm looking to stretch the image, not the VLC frame/window.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by erzane View Post
    Maybe you missunderstood. I'm looking to stretch the image, not the VLC frame/window.
    If the black bars are not part of the video itself then changing the aspect ratio (Video->Aspect Ratio) should stretch the video and re-size the frame to fit the video.

However, if the black bars are part of the video itself then changing the aspect ratio using Video->Aspect Ratio won't remove them. Using the "Crop" feature or unchecking the"Always Fit Window" setting and manually adjusting the frame should hide black bars that are part of the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But actually stretching a video to remove black-bars is a terrible idea. Chances are you will alter the native AR so people end up fatter or taller than they actually are.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But actually stretching a video to remove black-bars is a terrible idea. Chances are you will alter the native AR so people end up fatter or taller than they actually are.
    Although once in a while video is encoded at the wrong aspect ratio, as we have seen so many times before in this forum, it is not uncommon for people to dislike seeing black bars more than they dislike the seeing distortions caused by deliberately using an incorrect aspect ratio for display. That being said, I have seen video that was handled so badly that there are no display settings on a TV or software player that can correct it. Nothing short of re-encoding said video would both remove black bars which are part of the video itself and display the video using the proper aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote