VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

Threaded View

1. Hi. So I downloaded XVid and installed it in my PC. Then my anti-virus (Avast) detects the Update file of XVid as IDP Generic (which I know it's not a real virus and is bullshit) so I restored the file and tried to uninstall XVid so I can re-install it. However all the time I try both the installation and the un-installation, at some point it says: Installation failed. How can I deal with this?
    Last edited by BigGamer; 18th Apr 2019 at 14:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where did you download it from ?

Been a long time since I installed/ran this and TBH it is quite old now even tho the most recent version is only some 2 years previous.

Certainly do not recall any updater.

Try a direct download from this site unless that is the one you refer to.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/XviD-Codec
    Quote Quote  
  3. I downloaded it from the official XVid website. There is a script file called CheckUpdate and another file called CheckUpdateLauncher. These two, my Avast antivirus recognizes as IDP Generic (which is a false positive and not really a virus), so I restored the files. But then I uninstalled and it tells me Installation Failed. Then it kinda uninstalls, but I re-install and near the end of the Installation process, it says "Installation Failed" when it gets to "Creating xvidhomepage".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid-1.3.5-20171208.exe ? That's odd I just downloaded from www.xvid.com and checked it
    with virustotal.com, didn't find anything
    https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/af52b058ae294a3f8bc0d65ea2f93f30cd847be2b2307f194544...ae04/detection
    Quote Quote  
  5. I know it doesn't have any viruses, but it's the problem with the Avast Anti-virus that it recognizes some files as IDP Generic, when they really do not pose any threat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess that neither of those files are critical. Maybe your AV does not like scripts that 'phone home' since some could well be problematic.

You might have to do a manual uninstall. Delete folders/files and registry entries. Or just the folders/files and try to install again. Maybe even turn the AV off during the installation.
    Quote Quote