VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have several Hi8 tapes from the 20e century and can borrow a 8mm camera to play the tapes and record it with software on the disk of my laptop. My question is whether I need to have a Hi8 camera instead of a 8mm camera to get the best quality picture as possible? Of is the 8mm camera OK and so enough.

anyway suggestion(s) is welcome!

Thanks for the response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If these Hi8 tapes were recorded with a Hi8 camera, then yes you really need a Hi8 or Digital8 camera. Back in the day, you could record normal Video8 video on Hi8 tapes, which means it could be played back on a Video8 machine. But if it's Hi8 video on a Hi8 tape, then a Video8 machine won't be enough.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Karma, thanks for the response. I am going to look for a Hi8 camera. Do you have so a suggestion for simple free recording software to get the video on the PC. I bought a set, software and cable, at a super market for 18 dollar. It works fine but any suggestion is welcome
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AmaRecTV or Virtualdub. I'm a former Virtualdub user but after having to deal with the well know audio shifting, I moved to AmaRecTV which doesn't have the same problems. Use Amarectv 2.31 over the newer one.
    Last edited by KarMa; 17th Apr 2019 at 20:59.
    Quote Quote