VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    I have a VOB file with two audio tracks (jap/fr) but I'd like to keep only the first one, and definitely erase the 2nd.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by erzane View Post
    Hi,
    I have a VOB file with two audio tracks (jap/fr) but I'd like to keep only the first one, and definitely erase the 2nd.
    Thanks
    Anybody?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think VLC will selectively delete just one track. Try Avidemux, select the track you want and export with both video and audio set to copy/
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can do it with VLC in two steps:

1) Demux the video track and the desired audio track into elementary streams.

2) Mux those two tracks together.

It doesn't create VOB files though, just MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Also, ffmpeg will only include the first audio track by default. So a simple command line like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.vob -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.vob
    will do what you want. If you want an MPG file instead change the output spec to output.vob.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why bother ?

VLC surely plays the first audio track by default. Any other can be ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Jagabo: is it ok if I demux like in this tutorial?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQp5sM3t5c

About remuxing: usually, when I join two TS files, I use the command line. Can I do the same to remux those extracted video and audio tracks?
    After that I have a .mpg that I simply change to .vob (I just modifiy the extension)
    Last edited by erzane; 18th Apr 2019 at 15:39.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by erzane View Post
    Jagabo: is it ok if I demux like in this tutorial?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQp5sM3t5c
    You can use any demuxing tool that can handle the source format.

About remuxing: usually, when I join two TS files, I use the command line. Can I do the same to remux those extracted video and audio tracks?
    After that I have a .mpg that I simply change to .vob (I just modifiy the extension)
    Again, you can use any muxing tool that can handle your demuxed video and audio, and supports the output container you need.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I succeeded to demux my file with DGIndex. Now I have this.
    [Attachment 48715 - Click to enlarge]

Then, I did this, but it don't work, I only have audio on the final file. I also lost the subtitle.
    Btw, I didn't find any dedicated muxing tool to remux my extracted files.
    [Attachment 48716 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by erzane; 18th Apr 2019 at 15:57.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Copy/b isn't muxing, it's appending.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Copy/b isn't muxing, it's appending.
    Pls can you write me the correct code?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Copy/b copies all the first file to the output file, then appends all of the second file. That is not multiplexing. And even though you specified .VOB as the output file it is not a VOB file. (You can name a file with any extension you want, that doesn't make it that type of file. For example, rename your VOB file as .XLS and try to import it into Excel. It will fail miserably.)

Multiplexing (muxing) copies a small amount of video (say, 1 frame), then a small amount of audio (1 frame worth of audio), then another small chunk of video, another small chuck of audio, etc. The video and audio are thus interleaved throughout out the file which makes it easier for a player to play the file. The muxer also follows the container's specification for how those chunks are organized and identified within the file so a player (or other program) can identify them. Different A/V containers use different methods of organization.

I already gave an example using ffmpeg to remux from your source VOB directly to a new VOB with only the first audio channel. To mux the demuxed video and audio files you would use something like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i video.m2v -i audio.ac3 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.vob
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I searched some tutorials about ffmpeg but I still don't know how to make it work.
    I double clicked on the .exe file but nothing happened. I even didn't succeed to open a comand line from inside a folder.
    Isn't there a programm to remux by just dropping the two files and done?
    Last edited by erzane; 18th Apr 2019 at 18:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway

Since you have mentioned a subtitle, DGIndex has not demuxed that from the vob. You need other tools such as vobsub for that.

Then you have to mux audio, video AND sub back and I guess the easiest way to do that is via dvd-authoring such as avstodvd.

But, sorry, this is all a lot of work just to remove an un-needed audio track which most players, vlc being just one, will happily ignore.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    ''sub back'' would be an srt file?
    Btw, when I'm trying to run vobsub, I have the following choices: submux, subresync, vobsub cutter/joiner etc... which one should I use for extract the subtitle?
    Last edited by erzane; 18th Apr 2019 at 18:49.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The subtitles in a VOB file are not SRT format. They're not even text. They are pictures that are overlaid onto the video during playback.

I have to agree with DB83. This is a huge waste of time just to remove an unused audio track from a VOB file. If you're looking to reduce the files size, removing an audio track will only give you a few percent reduction.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The subtitles in a VOB file are not SRT format. They're not even text. They are pictures that are overlaid onto the video during playback.

I have to agree with DB83. This is a huge waste of time just to remove an unused audio track from a VOB file. If you're looking to reduce the files size, removing an audio track will only give you a few percent reduction.
    DB83 - Jagabo: the reason why I'd like to remove those audio tracks is because I have mangas and movies. Mangas are in jp, movies in us. According priority to jp works fine with VLC, but if I want to watch a movie, the first language will also change in a case of a mutli language file. Then, I'll have to set this again especially for some movies only.

So, thanks to both of you, I already succeed to demux and do elementary streams for audio and video with DGIndex.
    Now I'd need to extract the subtitle file but I currently don't know how to proceed/which programm.
    Then remux all, idem.
    Even if I've to use three programms to do this, it would worth.

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ''sub back'' would be an srt file?
    Btw, when I'm trying to run vobsub, I have the following choices: submux, subresync, vobsub cutter/joiner etc... which one should I use for extract the subtitle?
    No idea. I was merely suggesting a tool that should be able to do this. There are others. Take a look at the software section on the site to see what is available. There may even be tutorials in the forum about this. Otherwise you should start another topic since this one really only mentions audio and anyone with specific knowledge about ripping subs may not see the topic.

Even so I still do not buy in to your argument. Unless I read your OP wrong the track you want to remove is NOT the default one, All players should select the default one automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    About subtitles: ok

About audio:
    - files from folder#1: audio is fr1/jp2 (dragon ball)
    - files from folder#2: audio is fr1/jp2 (space adv. cobra)
    Settings I did on the files of the folder#1 will be not valid for the files of the folder#2 since those files was ripped from different DVDs.
    The settings I did is the following:Image
    [Attachment 48734 - Click to enlarge]

>First step (audio track) is effective case by case as I described below. Number ''1'' on dragon ball will set ''jp'' by default, but same number ''1'' on space adv. cobra will set ''fr'' by defaut, or sometimes even no audio at all concerning other mangas, or movies...

p.s. second step (audio language) doesn't change anything, even if I tape 1, 2 or empty.
    Last edited by erzane; 19th Apr 2019 at 05:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try reset that first audio setting to -1 from 1.

Use the audio menu to select the desired track and not rely on preferences.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just pop it in a MKVToolNix and untick any unwanted tracks - remux and it's done in a few minutes.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Just pop it in a MKVToolNix and untick any unwanted tracks - remux and it's done in a few minutes.
    No subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And I think the OP wants a vob not a mkv
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VOBEdit can demultiplex one or all of the streams in VOB files, including the subtitle streams. (Click Demultiplex button. Check boxes under "Demux multiple streams at once." Click OK.)
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    VOBEdit can demultiplex one or all of the streams in VOB files, including the subtitle streams. (Click Demultiplex button. Check boxes under "Demux multiple streams at once." Click OK.)
    Ok, I'll try this. And then is it also possible to remux?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Ok, I'll try this. And then is it also possible to remux?
    Remux with IFOEdit, which produces the files and folders for a menuless DVD. If there are multiple VOBs and you only want one big VOB instead of a DVD, then use VOBMerge to join the VOBs.

[Edit] I just re-read the description for IFOEdit which says "IFOEdit allows users to parse VOB files, remove and add video, audio and subtitle streams to VOBs." I have not tried doing that with IFOEdit, but perhaps IFOEdit is all you really need.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Apr 2019 at 15:15.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just took a look at IFOEdit myself,
    it looks as if the "VOB extras" button will do it. Open this dialog, select "strip streams" and provide the path to
    where you want it to create the new version. When you select "OK", it gives you an opportunity to deselect unwanted streams
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been a while since I used ifoedit. But surely this works by reading the ifo from a ripped dvd. The OP just mentions 'vob' although he later, confusingly, writes about 'folders'.

But if he does have full dvd folders he will surely have to go down this route since I would have thought that randomly editing individual vobs in a folder will result in non-working files that rely on the original ifos.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could be right, but if it's just a standalone vob, why not covert it to mkv?
    It's hard to understand what's going on because the OP hasn't given any much context
    Last edited by davexnet; 19th Apr 2019 at 18:47.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You could be right, but if it's just a standalone vob, why not covert it to mkv?
    It's hard to understand what's going on because the OP hasn't given any much context
    Maybe MKVs are not supported by whatever he uses to watch media files but VOBs are?
    Quote Quote