VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I was given a DVD-RW to rip the content off from. It was given to me by an elderly man, who had a lot of original stuff, but was not ever technically savvy. Sadly this is the last disk he has of his stuff. I think he said the disks had stopped working one by one and/or he lost a bunch. It doesn't make sense to me that they would just stop working, without being physically damaged, but the disks are not in bad condition at all.

The last disk he had would play in VLC but not open in explorer. I was able to rip and transcode the last disk he had just fine (so no worries, the job is complete) using MakeMKV. However, when I tried to view the file structure I get an error, "X:\ is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable." I initial thought was that maybe the disk had been transcoded with PAL, but afaik I should still be able to see the contents if that were the case.

I rip a lot of DVD's with MakeMKV, and I have only come across this issue when the disks were just plain not readable, due to actual physical damage. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight on this, and why it would work to manually load the disk through VLC or MakeMKV, but not by trying to view the file structure. These disks were pretty important to this nice old man, maybe if I dig deeper, then I can save more than just one disk.

Then again, if it turns out to just be some scratch issues (which really doesn't appear to be the case), then I could always resurface them. I just don't see the minor scratches it has, to be causing the issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If he "recorded" the disc on a DVD Recorder, that would explain a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Probably unfinalized, possibly multi-session. Use ISOBuster to see the various filesystems & sessions & rip from it. To get full capability, you may need to pay for it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If he "recorded" the disc on a DVD Recorder, that would explain a lot.
    I think you may be onto something here.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Probably unfinalized, possibly multi-session. Use ISOBuster to see the various filesystems & sessions & rip from it. To get full capability, you may need to pay for it.

Scott
    I think this is going to do the trick. If not, I'm still going to use this tool a lot, so thanks for that. I already gave the disk back, but I'll be going back this week to try a few things.

I also realized that it might be some file system format that Windows doesn't recognize, but we'll see when I get there. I'll post an update if I find anything worthwhile to share.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless it is a strange, no-name brand, odd model device, it will only be using a combination of: ISO9660, UDF 1.2, UDF 2.01, UDF 2.50, or UDF 2.60, with possible Romeo, Joliet, or Mt.Ranier bridge extensions.
    With the exception of Romeo & Mt.Ranier, current versions of Windows & Mac & Linux should have no trouble with any of those filesystems. Certainly not ISOBuster.

Scott
    Quote Quote