VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I would like to replace the audio of an MP4 video with another aac audio file and split the video.

I tried to do it with AviDemux but for some reason it keeps crashing. Then, I tried with VirtualDub2 but I get the message that I must choose another input driver.

What am I missing? Is there some other (free) tool to do this?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AAC? Isn't that Apple? What you're missing is that AAC is proprietary. You need to convert to non-Apple codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Once you get the audio straightened out....replace the audio and create a new file....THEN split the new file.
    Don't make the software try to decide whether to wind it's butt or scratch it's watch.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys!

The Mp4 video I have has already an aac sound. And I want to replace it with another one of the same format.

Ok, let's say that I break the whole process in two steps. Which tool should I use for each process?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With the tools I'm currently aware of, I'd use mkvtooknix to create an mkv with the streams I want,
    then turn it back to an mp4 after it was done. The task shouldn't be this hard
    Quote Quote  
  6. Map the audiostream using ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i original.mp4 -i new.aac -c copy -map 0:v:0 -map 1:a:0 output.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  7. These two methods will reencode?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The option I mentioned does not; I don't think the ffmpeg method does, but you should try it and see
    Quote Quote  
  9. The ffmpeg method doesn't re-encode either. It keeps the original video stream and simply replaces the audio stream in the mp4 container.
    Quote Quote