VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have an issue with DV footage and am not sure how to proceed.

The problem concerns VHS-C tapes that I recorded directly onto my MiniDV camera around 15 years ago. At the time I just used component input, but it still looks much better than the actual VHS-C footage at this point in time, so I'd like to work with it.

Unfortunately, during fast movements (mostly pans) the video glitches/destabilizes for a moment. It's even visible on the camera display (but as a sidenote: I transferred the tapes to dv1-files using dvgrab and the issue was retained).

Any idea what could cause this? Both cameras are PAL, so it's probably not a framerate difference. Maybe an internal image stabilizer on the MiniDV camera (though I wouldn't have thought that this would be turned on with external video input)?

If I can recover most of the original VHS-C tapes, I'd consider the idea of using a few frames from them during affected sequences, but that might be a gigantic chore.
    Last edited by KoolKiller85; 9th Apr 2019 at 14:10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Capturing the original MiniDV cassettes to your computer will provide a superior result. What you are doing now is Digital►Analog►Analog►Digital when it could be just Digital►Digital.

Please post a sample of the glitch.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Capturing the original MiniDV cassettes to your computer will provide a superior result. What you are doing now is Digital►Analog►Analog►Digital when it could be just Digital►Digital.
    I captured them via Firewire and dvgrab (the standard Linux program). No analogue conversion in-between. So it really must have happened while transferring the VHS-C tapes to MiniDV.

Please post a sample of the glitch.
    I'll get to it later in the day, thanks for taking a look!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KoolKiller85 View Post
    I captured them via Firewire and dvgrab (the standard Linux program). No analogue conversion in-between. So it really must have happened while transferring the VHS-C tapes to MiniDV.
    My mistake; I misread your post. I'd still recommend converting the source tapes to a lossless format rather than compressed DV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    My mistake; I misread your post. I'd still recommend converting the source tapes to a lossless format rather than compressed DV.
    Yes, that would be better (although the few tapes I could find look considerably worse now than the dv recordings from 15 years ago). Unfortunately, most of them seem to be lost and my budget can't justify high-end equipment or a professional service. My only other means would be a subpar VCR and an ancient DVD/HDD-recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I second that. Capturing the original VHS-C tapes will give you better quality, Even though DV smoothed out some noise but that doesn't mean DV tapes are better than the original source. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by KoolKiller85 View Post
    during fast movements (mostly pans) the video glitches/destabilizes for a moment. It's even visible on the camera display (but as a sidenote: I transferred the tapes to dv1-files using dvgrab and the issue was retained).
    I suspect the problem is on the tape. Camera motion while shooting caused the helical scan drum speed to vary. So the sync timing is off, causing problems during playback/capture. A good time base corrector, like an old Panasonic DVD recorder, may be able to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    although the few tapes I could find look considerably worse now
    I doubt that. DV may have glossed over some errors, but the real issue is getting a proper lossless conversion. Quality VCRs and TBCs must be used.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote