+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The fact that every 5th frame is a duplicate in the handbrake video indicates the video is telecined film, not interlaced video. It should be inverse telecined to 23.976 fps with TFM().TDecimate().
    thanks jagabo, I've only just looked at this one and I see what you mean.
    I'd be interested in seeing the OP's final script. Did he keep the frame rate as 23.976?
    No it was at 59.94 since I didn't use TFM().TDecimate(). I just tried it with that though and the frame rate was not 23.976, rather it was 47.952.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    MediaInfo isn't "lying" to you, it's just just still too dumb to understand those nuances.

E.g. every DVD is coded and stored in an interlaced form. Sometimes it is truly interlaced, sometimes it has been telecined from progressive frame film. Ripping properly and running through DGIndex will expose that more clearly.

Scott
    Ah. Still ripping with MakeMKV but converting to .ts with Avidemux and running it through DGIndex with pulldown flags honored has been working quite well for me despite all that. Still need to try other methods of ripping so it can rip properly or whatever.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't use TFM().TDecimate() after QTGMC. You do it instead of QTGMC().

Rip to a VIDEO_TS folder with DVD Decrypter or DVD Fab. Then use DgIndex on the VOB files. Occasionally you have to convert the VOBs to MPG with VOB2MPG before DgIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You don't use TFM().TDecimate() after QTGMC. You do it instead of QTGMC().
    Ah. Now it's showing up as 23.976. Not bad!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sometimes, I'm not buying what mediainfo is saying, cuz it would make mistake. VFR is much better than CFR. You'd better consider to change another tool to rip your DVD and then do the de-interlacing stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In all ways but one (efficiency), VFR is WORSE than CFR, and even that can be argued when using vbr and interframe capable codecs.
    Incompatibility with many apps, frame timing issues (judder), sync issues with audio, conversion issues with editing systems (though that has gotten better recently). It is a solution looking for a problem that in the solving creates more problems. I re-iterate: the only place where it is even somewhat justified is in phone camera capture, and even there I would say that’s because the manufacturers are being lazy and cheating trying to make their product seem better.
    And the idea of vfr on interlaced material?...

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 24th Apr 2019 at 05:10.
    Quote Quote