VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Gang (sorry I didn't know where to post this)?

I just downloaded and installed 'Streamclip for Windows 7' (NOT the Beta-Version). I'd like to use Streamclip as I did in my Mac for extracting VOB's from DVD's and then converting/exporting them into QT Files. Of course I got the warning that I needed to first UNINSTALL Quicktime (which I did). Then as instructed I installed version KL QuickTime Alternative 1.81. I'm also being instructed to install MPEG-2 playback component (which I cannot find). There are just too many options out there? Could I avoid that 'playback component' if I purchase the Quicktime Pro Version? And BTW, I hope I didn't render my Wondershare Ultimate Converter problematic now?

Thanx for your help ...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    you might try LAV Filters. Or ffdshow.
    I've also used DVDVob2Mpg for MPG extraction.

What OS are you running?

But other members may have better suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CarpentarMate View Post
    Hi Gang (sorry I didn't know where to post this)?

I just downloaded and installed 'Streamclip for Windows 7' (NOT the Beta-Version). I'd like to use Streamclip as I did in my Mac for extracting VOB's from DVD's and then converting/exporting them into QT Files. Of course I got the warning that I needed to first UNINSTALL Quicktime (which I did). Then as instructed I installed version KL QuickTime Alternative 1.81. I'm also being instructed to install MPEG-2 playback component (which I cannot find). There are just too many options out there? Could I avoid that 'playback component' if I purchase the Quicktime Pro Version? And BTW, I hope I didn't render my Wondershare Ultimate Converter problematic now?

Thanx for your help ...
    In the past, I used MPEG Streamclip 1.2 for Windows 7 and then the later beta version 1.21b with KL QuickTime Alternative 1.81, running Windows 7. I never saw any warnings about the MPEG-2 playback component. However, I never had Apple's Free Quicktime Player or Quicktime Pro installed before I installed MPEG Streamclip.

A few years ago, MPEG Streamclip stopped working for me. (I used it as an editor to make cuts on GOP boundaries). Re-installing did not fix the problem. I'm not sure what the cause of that was so I don't know if the same will be true for you.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Guys - Thanks For You Help!

I got totally disgusted and figured out a work around using 'Wonder Share' - These changes are really frustrating. Streamclip was the best freeware ever and now its just too much trouble when they give you directions to 'dilete this' 'install that' (its all designed to make you INSANE) Ha Ha LOL
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah the mpeg2 playback component was at one time available from Apple as an optional supplement to Quicktime, but that was years ago and even then it cost extra (IIRC, QT was free, QTpro was $29usd, mpeg2 decode-only was $29usd, and you had to pay separately for each platform & major version#).

Not worth the effort, especially when their stuff was mediocre quality. Ffmpeg, etc now will do you much better for free.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I needed a program that would allow me to transfer individual recordings on DVD from my Magnavox DVD recorder to my Windows 10 PC as mpg files. The programs that I had been using on my Windows 7 PC (VOB2MPG and MPEG VCR) don't function on my Windows 10 PC.

I remembered that I had used MPEG Streamclip 1.21b under Windows 7 for DVD to mpg conversions until MPEG Streamclip 1.21b stopped working for unknown reasons. I decided to install KL QuickTime Alternative 1.81 and then MPEG Streamclip 1.21b (beta) on a PC running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1709 (with Microsoft's MPEG-2 Video Extension installed) to see if by some miracle it might work. It does work. Conversion from VOBs to H.264 MOV files also works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Shoot, I would have just used DVDDecrypter in IFO/clip mode, demuxing to elementary streams and then remuxing with Manzanita, or even ffmpeg. Those all seem fine in Win10.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Shoot, I would have just used DVDDecrypter in IFO/clip mode, demuxing to elementary streams and then remuxing with Manzanita, or even ffmpeg. Those all seem fine in Win10.

Scott
    Magnavox uses a kooky DVD+VR scheme when creating DVDs. I think I tried DVDDecryipter on them at one point without success, but I'll try it again. I know for sure that MakeMKV has a problem with them. Even VOB2MPG in IFO mode found twice the number of VOBs that are actually present, but I could still use it successfully on the first set of VOBs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Mar 2019 at 22:56.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried DVD Decrypter in IFO mode on the DVDs made by my Magnavox DVD recorder and it works, although like VOB2MPG, DVD Decrypter in IFO mode sees twice the number of VOBs that are actually present. However, I found that MPEG Streamclip is more convenient to use for these particular DVDs.

If I use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, it is able to give me individual recordings as a VOB set, but I need to use other programs to demultiplex and join the VOBs in the VOB set containing that recording, then re-multiplex the streams to produce an mpg.

If I use MPEG Streamclip, I can get each recording on the DVDs as an mpg in a few steps which can all be performed quickly inside MPEG Streamclip. I start by importing the DVD, after which MPEG Streamclip asks to "fix" the timecode breaks, which finds out where they are. Then I use List->Edit List to see the list of the individual recordings found, based on the timecode breaks. The Edit List allows me to automatically mark a recording on the timeline, which I can then save as an mpg file.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by CarpentarMate View Post
    Hi Gang (sorry I didn't know where to post this)?

Thanx for your help ...
    Another method is to directly convert vob to quicktime more supported mov with the help of iDealshare VideoGo.
    In fact, it can convert mpeg-2, vob, mpeg-1, avi, wmv, flv, mkv, avchd etc to QuickTimeo MOV, or convert QuickTime MOV to other video formats
    Quote Quote