VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. System - Windows 7 SP1 64 bit with 8 GB memory.

Software - DVD-RB Pro 1.28 with Procoder 2.0 (plus other encoders as well).

I'm in the process of re-encoding (transcoding?) some of my TV series DVD9 discs down to DVD5 discs. This process was going fine until I shut down my computer (normally) and then restarted my computer later to continue the re-encodes. After the restart, Procoder now displays a message "The settings for this preset are invalid", and Procoder also displays a message about having to overwrite some files? Procoder then stops running and I have to abort the re-encode process by clicking Abort button in DVD-RB Pro!

Tried uninstalling and then reinstalling both DVD-RB Pro and Procoder, but STILL the same error occurs!!??

DVD-RB Pro and Procoder have also been installed under Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on my multi-boot system. The re-encodes work fine here! The only issue being the process takes up to three times longer as I can't use multi-threading to speed up the process due to lack of memory under 32 bit Windows (less than 4GB). So this suggest that the source discs are not the problem, and the problem is probably something to do with the Procoder installation(?)

I also did a test re-encode under Windows 7 SP1 64 bit using DVD-RB Pro and this time using the HC encoder instead, and the process worked fine! This seems to confirm that there is some issue with Procoder.

Any ideas on what to do now to get Procoder 2.0 working again under Windows 7 SP1 64 bit?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have some experience navigating in the file system?
    The best result would probably result from an uninstall\clean (rename) any folders related to Procoder in these locations\reinstall the program

c:\users\your_user_name\appdata\local
    c:\users\your_user_name\appdata\roaming
    c:\ProgramData
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the comment!

I've checked the various folders after uninstall, and the folders are definitely empty.

Both DVD-RB and Procoder have been uninstalled and reinstalled several times, but the error "The settings for this preset are invalid" still persists in Procoder!?

I've run SFC to check for any system file problems, but nothing was found. I've also run anti-malware programs, but nothing (of consequence) was found either.

So at this stage it is puzzling as to why I'm still getting errors when running DVD-RB and Procoder?

As a last resort I might wipe the HDD clean and do a complete re-installation of programs from scratch!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check the registry also? With the program uninstalled, use regedit and navigate to
    Hkey_current_user\software and look for keys in this key containing Canopus and/or Procoder on the left side,
    once again you can rename and then reinstall

Does this error message occur when the program is started or when a project is loaded?
    What does it say about overwriting some files?
    I found this on a google search, perhaps there are some clues, but beyond that, since I don't have it installed,
    I'm out of idea's
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/230794-CANOPUS-PROCODER2-the-settings-of-this-preset-are-invalid
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=110998
    Last edited by davexnet; 28th Mar 2019 at 17:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did your usb key die?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the comments.

The "key" is (or MUST be) working as DVD-RB and Procoder work OK under Windows 7 32 bit on my multi-boot system. The problem seems to be occuring only while running under Windows 7 64 bit.

Still looking in to this problem, in particular the registry entries. But in the end I re-formatted Windows 7 64 bit partition and re-installed the operating system and minimal software including DVD-RB and Procoder as a test.

After reinstalling all programs, DVD-RB and Procoder worked fine on re-encoding a disc from DVD9 to DVD5!

HOWEVER! I shut down the computer for awhile and restarted it later on and tried another re-encode. But once again the re-encode failed with errors - "empty .m2v, retrying" comments in DVD-RB status window, and Procoder reporting something about "overwriting existing target files"!!?? Uninstalled DVD-RB and Procoder and then reinstalled both, but continue to receive same error messages and I have to abort the process!

The links to other similar problems mention something about deleting the EclPro ini file and then re-making it. I tried that but still the re-encodes fail. There was also mention of audio file type issues which might cause the problems, but the audio file type has always been consistently in the AC3 format for all of the discs so far. So I don't think the audio is the problem here.

So even after a clean install of DVD-RB and Procoder (after re-formatting HDD partition), and after restarting my computer, the re-encoding process is still not working!?

Previously I could re-encode numerous discs under Windows 7 64 bit and also after restarting my computer on numerous occasions.

So what is wrong now? Beginning to suspect some malware (or some other program) might be interfering with the re-encodes(?)

I don't have any anti-malware software running (in the background), nor any other background programs that I'm aware of.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One other possibility - check you don't have anything left over and not cleaned up in the temp folder.
    (%temp% from the run box)
    Does Procoder keep a log of it's activities? If you can find a log belonging to one of the failed encodes
    you may find more information
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    procoder 2 is old enough that it may need admin privileges to write to disc with current windows restrictions. is it set to always run as admin and installed anywhere other than stock crogram files /(86)? did you update/install/uninstall anything like lav filters, ffdshow, etc?

it's been awhile but i recall always got better results with HC Encoder or cce 2.5 anyway. longer encode times but nicer video especially using 7 pass cce
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks again for the comments.

I didn't have to clear out the "Temp" folder previously in order to run successful installations and re-encodes. But I checked out this folder anyway, and found a couple of references to Procoder which I deleted. But again re-encodes do not work with same errors as above still happening.

Can't find any Procoder log.

All programs are installed in their default locations. No filters/encoders etc were changed (intentionally) by me.

With the exception of starting/running DVD-RB under Administrator Rights, I didn't have to use adminstrator rights previously for re-encodes for both under 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7.

By experimentation, I found that Procoder gives the best results for these particular videos compared to CCE and HC encoders. So I want to keep using Procoder as far as possible.

Currently downloading antimalware software and I'll do a full system scan later to see what (if any) malware there is.

Otherwise I'm still puzzled as to why DVD-RB and Procoder together no longer work properly (after shutting down and restarting my computer)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps this thread has something useful, one guy mentions Procoder has issues with multi-core cpu's
    https://www.clubedohardware.com.br/forums/topic/465415-problemas-dvd-rebuilder-procode-2-canopus/

(I had to read the google translated version)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what i might try is using windows recovery and restoring the computer to the latest backup before it happened. maybe something was installed or updated on booting up that day.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks again for the comments!

I've had a look at that link, and in my case I don't think the issue is to do with multi-core CPU. I've been doing successful re-encodes for many months/years using the same four core CPU. There must be some other cause of the problems.

Can't do Windows recovery as no system backups were done!

To make things more interesting! I have three operating systems on my multi-boot system - Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 SP1 32 bit, and Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. All three operating systems have DVD-RB and Procoder installed, and in all cases, the re-encodes used to work OK. But I've just tried test re-encodes under XP SP3, and under Windows 7 32 bit, and as of now all re-encodes fail to work! Get the same error occurring about empty .m2v and something about overwriting existing target file!!??

Under Windows 7 32 bit which used to continue to do successful re-encodes when re-encodes under Windows 7 64 bit failed, has as of right now decided to fail as well!! So I can't do any Procoder based re-encodes on any of my operating systems now!!??

Something really weird going on here!! As mentioned before, I'm still suspecting some sort of malware interference, but I have yet to successfully download additional anti-malware software to check my systems, as I'm on a very slow internet connection.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's strange. HDD failing? Download the manufacturers utility and do the tests.

Regarding A/V, I like Microsoft Defender Offline; it create a bootable disk or USB stick
    so you run it outside of your active Windows environment. Probably ~150 MB download

Under what circumstances does Procoder fail? Only when called by DVD-RB? What about if you open and
    use Procoder manually ? What is the exact version of Procoder?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Comments noted, thanks.

My system has three physical hard drives. I ran the HDD diagnostic for all drives, and all drives are OK.

Downloading additional anti malware/anti virus software will take quite some time as I'm on a slow internet connection and many programs are around 150 ~ 200+ MB. So extra malware scans will have to wait until I get these other programs downloaded (days away).

Procoder is version 2.04. Tried running Procoder by itself and initially Procoder seemed to hang for awhile, but tried again and Procoder seemed to be working OK.

Anyway, I've once again re-formatted the Windows 7 64 bit partition and reinstalled the operating system and DVD-RB and Procoder. This time the re-encodes seem to be working under W7 64 bit, at least for now! But it is intended to do an anti malware/anti virus scan as soon as possible, as it is suspected there is some sort of malware causing the re-encoding issues.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just a brief update.

Anti-malware didn't find any malware (so far).

Re-encodes worked for awhile, but once again I'm getting Procoder errors as before!!!

Now suspecting there is a problem with the USB key!?
    Quote Quote