VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Looking for some info as we are videoing a season of baseball and hoping to be able to add custom in/out marks that can be quickly exported into one file at the end of the season? Might be high hopes, but is there a software out there that we could mark each player and their highlights throughout all the games? The thought would be to watch the recorded game and lets say in the 3rd inning Joey hits a home run. We then add a custom "Joey" in and out mark. Same for Michael in the 6th inning. At the end of the season, 10 games are recorded and we want to compile all of Joey's highlights, then all of Michael's, then the rest of the team. Is there a way to do this? Preferably with open source software? Would Lightworks feature this capability?

As always, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I cringe anytime I hear/see the phrase "sports games".

No serious fan of any sport ever says that. Reminds me of a woman saying "oh, men and their sports games", where she wouldn't know a home run from a touchdown. Or gamer kids "I like video games, I don't like sports games" (because it requires getting their face out of tablet/phone/computer).

Anyway...

It sounds like you just want something to add chapters to the video? Or author a DVD/BD?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by shoot-straight View Post
    Looking for some info as we are videoing a season of baseball and hoping to be able to add custom in/out marks that can be quickly exported into one file at the end of the season? Might be high hopes, but is there a software out there that we could mark each player and their highlights throughout all the games? The thought would be to watch the recorded game and lets say in the 3rd inning Joey hits a home run. We then add a custom "Joey" in and out mark. Same for Michael in the 6th inning. At the end of the season, 10 games are recorded and we want to compile all of Joey's highlights, then all of Michael's, then the rest of the team. Is there a way to do this? Preferably with open source software? Would Lightworks feature this capability?

As always, thank you.
    I did a LOT of this when my kids were in high school many years ago. If you do this correctly, not only can you make a great highlight reel at the end of the season, but you can make recruitment DVDs for individual athletes to help them get into college. One of the guys I did that for made it to the NFL, kicking for the Dolphins.

I used Sony Vegas as my NLE. It lets you add markers on the timeline and you can name those markers. You can either add multiple attributes to each marker, such as the type of play, or the player involved; or you can add multiple markers to the same place on the timeline. For football, where each play is quite discrete, it helps to cut the video at the beginning of each play. For more continuous sports like soccer and basketball you have to decide how you want to cut and mark since there is often a lot of play without much that is highlight worthy.

You can instead (or in addition) add regions. A region gives you a traditional in and out point, rather than just a single point on the timeline, so perhaps that is what you want.

Sony Vegas has a built-in scripting function. I have written over 100 scripts for Vegas, and one of them was one to help me with this tagging. However, even with the markers and the scripting automation, be prepared for a LOT of work to get to where you want to go. The scripting simply let me choose names from a list, so I didn't have to type them each time, but I still had to watch everything (usually at slightly faster than real time) and then pause and insert the markers for each place where I might want to return.

I wrote about this, ages ago, in the now-defunct Sony Vegas forum. I think the current owner of Vegas, Magix, has kept those old posts alive, but it is tough to find anything. If I can find the link where I described my process in detail, I'll post that link here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here are some links into the moribund Sony Vegas forum. If you don't own Vegas, some of it won't make sense, but if you skim a few of these, you should get an idea of what is possible. In addition, there is a Vegas plugin called Vegasur which has many additional automation features for long workflow projects.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/preview-then-name-regions-using-listbo...dialog--21974/

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/v5-media-management-sportsanthology-workflow--38598/

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/long-project-workflow--21901/

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/dialog-boxes--49835/
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 26th Mar 2019 at 12:13. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Smurf: I say sports games because we're looking to do this for soccer and wrestling as well.

johnmeyer: Perfect and thank you so much for your informative reply. I will read through your links in addition to doing some much further research. THANK YOU!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by shoot-straight View Post
    Smurf: I say sports games because we're looking to do this for soccer and wrestling as well.

johnmeyer: Perfect and thank you so much for your informative reply. I will read through your links in addition to doing some much further research. THANK YOU!
    I expect that once you look at some of those old posts, you'll have more questions. Feel free to ask. Also, what NLE are you using at present? Some are definitely better than others when it comes to managing large numbers of clips. If you haven't chosen an NLE and want to get one that will let you get through this project, look for the term "media management." This doesn't always guarantee that you'll be able to categorize and sort clips in various bins, but it usually points in that direction.

As for "sports games" I didn't understand the criticism of using that phrase. The only negative I could imagine is that these days it is usually used to refer to a category of video games, like Madden Football. The way you used it is actually quite descriptive since "games" by itself can refer to Monopoly or gin rummy, and "sports" by itself simply refers to competitive physical activity, including things like pickup basketball. By adding "games" you clearly show that these are sports where someone keeps score and the outcome matters to not only the participants, but to the spectators as well.

So, for me, I think it is a very useful and descriptive phrase.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    "I like video games, I don't like sports games" (because it requires getting their face out of tablet/phone/computer).
    Yes, because watching "the game" on TV is so much better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    "I like video games, I don't like sports games" (because it requires getting their face out of tablet/phone/computer).
    Yes, because watching "the game" on TV is so much better.
    Was that sarcastic? Anyway, yes, that can be confusing when multiple sports are in season. Then ideally, "the baseball game is on TV", etc. Unless it's already understand that it's baseball (ie all baseball fans in the room), then the "the ball game" or "the game" suffices.

I've just had multiple run-ins in recent past years, in conversations, when talking to somebody about sports. "What's your favorite sport?" is answered with "I don't like sports games". At that point, you have to wonder if the person could even name 5 sports. Or worse, they think poker is a sport!

@OP: Anyway, have fun with the highlight reel. It's best done in an NLE, not merely chaptering. It requires manual work, it's not automatic. It's really not much different than any other kind of editing project.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote