VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi there and thanks for reading!

I'm trying to capture and archive old videos recorded on an 8mm (Sony Handycam CCD-TR86) When I hook it up directly to a TV, it plays back just fine.

When I hook it up to my computer and try to capture, the best I get is recording the audio (no video).

Here's what I tried first:

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle + Media Xpress. I already had this so it wasn't a new purchase. I was very disappointed it didn't work. I did A LOT of reading here, and found that Blackmagic has low tolerances for time code, so sending it an old analog source might be the culprit. Ok. I've used this setup to record off a newer HDMI-output camera, so I know it can work.

Here's what I tried second:

I got a Hauppauge USB-Live2 adapter, and tried it with VirtualDub. The output file still only had audio! I messed around with a lot of settings, set resolution to 720x480, tried 23.97 and 29.97 fps.

I'd like to capture in the best quality possible. Storage space isn't a concern, so the best bit rates, color space, etc. is what I'm hoping for. But first, it'd be nice to capture any video!

Obviously I'm a bit frustrated.. I know that this sort of thing rarely 'just works'. I'm close to buying a used camcorder on eBay, one with an S-video output (like a DCR-TRV120E) instead of my current handycam with component outputs. But before I spend even MORE money on adapters or camcorders, I'd like to get this dang thing to work!

It's probably hard to help me unless you were right here, but if you have any tips/tricks or 'duh' things I should have done, pleeeeeeease lemme know!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vdub does work with the USB-Live2 (I own one myself)

But do not select the Hauppauge as the source since that is a DirectShow driver. Select the Microsoft WDM (VFW) source.

Another capture option is a little utility called DScaler
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried the Hauppauge Capture app that is supposed to be included ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ That is also a choice but it only does mpeg2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Are you selecting the correct video input in the capture driver? I doubt your Handycam has a component output. It is called composite.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bokehraton View Post
    Hi there and thanks for reading!
    Obviously I'm a bit frustrated.. I know that this sort of thing rarely 'just works'. I'm close to buying a used camcorder on eBay, one with an S-video output (like a DCR-TRV120E) instead of my current handycam with component outputs. But before I spend even MORE money on adapters or camcorders, I'd like to get this dang thing to work!

It's probably hard to help me unless you were right here, but if you have any tips/tricks or 'duh' things I should have done, pleeeeeeease lemme know!

Thanks!
    If it was HI-8 tape the BMD Intensity Shuttle would work. I myself use IEEE DV Fire Wire converters (DAC-100, ADVC 100 ADS Pyro Link A/V) without fail for VHS and 8MM capture. I know some products can be hit or miss now days or even have driver issues. Some work with Windows 7 but not Windows 10 others work with Windows 10 but not windows 7. There are no drivers needed for the Fire Wire Converters. You would need 3rd party software like Sony Vegas, FCP, Premiere Pro, iMoive or Windows Movie Maker. It is plug and play. It just works provided you know how to use your editing software.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought SVideo gave better color than ieee.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Barrythecrab View Post
    Are you asking about IEEE Fire Wire? You cannot connect a hard drive up to your computer using an S-Video cable. You can connect a hard drive to your computer using a USB cable or Fire Wire cable because both are digital.

S-Video, Component and Composite are analogue. You can connect a HI-8 Camera to a computer using an S-Video cable that is connected to a video capture card. Video capture cards can then connect to the computer using Fire Wire, USB PCI, PCIE, Thunderbolt etc.

Digital 8, Mini DV-25 and HDV cameras do not require a video capture card unlike like analogue tape devices. The digital camera will connect to the computer using a simple Fire Wire cable and nothing more. The cable just transfers the information of the digital tape using the Fire Wire cable to the computer.

DV converters will allow you to connect a VCR to the computer using S-Video, Composite and even component. The DV converter trans-codes the analogue signal into a digital format (DV-25) and it is then sent to the computer using the IEEE Fire Wire cable. The video link below might help explain things.

https://youtu.be/vATw63nn3OQ
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It only matters for NTSC, DV NTSC chroma sub is 4:1:1, PAL however is 4:2:0 just like modern video codecs, But if you want to capture lossless you cannot do that with an analog DV capture device, It has to be analog to USB device or PCI video capture card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @medeamajic

The question was asked as to the relative performance of s-video against DV. Yet all the OP will see is yet another 'lecture', complete with link which I guess is the same one that you have already posted several times before.

He already stated he does not wish to get other equipment since what he already has should do the job. It is not in dispute that a DV-box could also do it - I also have a ADVC-300 - but many modern PCs do not have a firewire port so that would also mean more cost.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but I'd put a timebase corrector in the mix between your hi8 and blackmagic, I know the ultrastudio I've got doesn't display an image at all with some tapes if theres not something to give it a stable feed first, preferably a full frame tbc so you also don't get freeze frames in your capture. If you solidify the signal you should get something, blackmagic also has 2 sets of configs you have to go through to get a video feed working, firstly in desktop video setup you need to make sure your feed input is correct ie s-video and pal input and also within your capture app itself which you said your using media express you would need to make sure this matches the desktop video settings.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Vdub does work with the USB-Live2 (I own one myself)

But do not select the Hauppauge as the source since that is a DirectShow driver. Select the Microsoft WDM (VFW) source.

Another capture option is a little utility called DScaler

Hmmm verrrrrrrry interesting! I will try this right now. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    @medeamajic

The question was asked as to the relative performance of s-video against DV. Yet all the OP will see is yet another 'lecture', complete with link which I guess is the same one that you have already posted several times before.

He already stated he does not wish to get other equipment since what he already has should do the job. It is not in dispute that a DV-box could also do it - I also have a ADVC-300 - but many modern PCs do not have a firewire port so that would also mean more cost.

You are incorrect Barrythecrab. The original poster wrote the following below.

The OP is thinking about buying more equipment.

Having said that someone else asked about IEEE and S-Video so a responded. I don't just post video links for no reason. Learn to accept reality!

Also asking about IEEE VS S-video is like asking how many times do you need to water the grass before you can cook breakfast? I posted a video that should help explain things. Isn't that the goal here?

S-Video is a connection and the quality depends on the equipment being used. IEEE is a connection and the quality also depends on equipment being used. Some IEEE Fire Wire products accept DV-50 with 4:2:2 color space. S-Video and IEEE are connections only not a video format. Having said that IEEE transfers digitally while S-Video transfers analogue. It is odd to compare them. Having said that I do think a video demonstration might help explain things. Many people in another thread posted videos of their HI-8 to HD conversion. Does that also upset you? Having said that can I ask you why are you in these forums Barrythecrab?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stunner21 View Post
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but I'd put a timebase corrector in the mix between your hi8 and blackmagic.
    A TBC for the BMD products has been mentioned in other posts. You would expect better from BMD but then again I think they focus on their products being used with high-end broadcast compliant hardware. You would think for the price it would work just fine with consumer products but that is not the case. My Intensity Shuttle can capture HI-8 just fine. It can also capture some of my VHS tapes but not many.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP is NOT thinking of buying more equipment. He really wants his existing equipment to work. That is the real interpretation of 'BEFORE'.

And do you really take us all for idiots ? S-video is more than just a connection. If it is then iee is also just a connection.

As for the continuous posting of these yt links. If you are not the author of them then I retire. But if you are then more than often the whole purpose of these is to get views and earn.

So be warned. I do not care. But the next post I see from you with yt links I will report to the system admins here. And let them decide what your real purpose on here is.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I find that AmarecTV v2.?? or v3.10 (NOT v4.?? or later!!!!!) works better with the Hauppauge USB Live2 than Vdub. (Haven't tried with Vdub2) I use Lagarith as my preferred lossless codec as I get smaller lossless files than I do with UT Video, but others seem to get smaller files with UT Video - I'm guessing better optimisations on newer CPUs than the ageing Intel C2D in my capture PC.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The OP is NOT thinking of buying more equipment. He really wants his existing equipment to work. That is the real interpretation of 'BEFORE'.

And do you really take us all for idiots ? S-video is more than just a connection. If it is then iee is also just a connection.

As for the continuous posting of these yt links. If you are not the author of them then I retire. But if you are then more than often the whole purpose of these is to get views and earn.

So be warned. I do not care. But the next post I see from you with yt links I will report to the system admins here. And let them decide what your real purpose on here is.

Below is what the original poster wrote. He mentioned maybe buying more equipment. It is in plain English.

Yes S-Video and IEEE Fire Wire are connections you can connect audio hardware up using USB and IEEE Fire Wire. You want proof? WELL YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE PROOF : )

Is this forum designed to actually help people or just insult people? As far a posting links other people have done the same thing if it is relevant to the topic. This is a video discussion forum. I would like to think almost everyone would post a video demonstration if the information might be useful to the topic at hand. The viewer can decide if the method is viable or not. Why wouldn't you want people to post tutorials? It seems like the best option to me. Having said that I have never been in a video discussion forum where people report you to the administrator for posting links to video tutorials. Posting to a person website might be a tad bit out of line but not links to video tutorials. Usually video links are welcomed and par for the course. Is this a video editing forum where you are forbidden to post links to helpful video tutorials? For the record I have posted links to videos that are not mine if I think the video can be helpful. Everyone should and it should be welcomed.

If someone was to post "How do you format a hard drive to work on Mac and PC" I would post a link to one of my video tutorials because it would be easier than writing a text response of 40 paragraphs and also be much more helpful.

Having said that rather than focus so much of your time and energy on me perhaps it would be more beneficial to focus more of your time and energy on pulling the stick out of your butt. Then you could focus more time and energy on actually helping people as opposed to being a tattle-tail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    40 paragraphs to say format as exfat and use guid partitition?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    40 paragraphs would be short given the poster's current form. But we could all do with a good ol' laugh so go ahead and create such a topic.

And buying a camcorder with a s-video output would hardly solve the capture issue. Which is the equipment the OP refers to. And what does posting a pic of some un-named audio equipment help in this topic ?

I have gleaned that you know, or think you know, better than everyone else. But my promise of you continuining to post yt links (since we basically have no way to know if you are the creator) still stands.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I have gleaned that you know, or think you know, better than everyone else. But my promise of you continuining to post yt links (since we basically have no way to know if you are the creator) still stands.
    Youtube links are as good as the knowledge of the person making them, I wouldn't take them as a technical guide unless the person is known to be specialized in the field. That particular video shows that the guy knows nothing about video capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi, OP here. Holy crap! I didn't know my post would stir up such a... spirited discussion!

I'll try to briefly post what I have tried since my original post:
    1. I tried DScaler but whenever I open it, I get a quick error message and the program closes. Trying to read the message before it disappears, it says something about drivers and the program might not be installed properly. I reinstalled twice, but same thing... so I went back to VirtualDub since I had gotten some result (audio only)
    2. I took the advice of NOT choosing the Hauppauge USB Live 2 as the Capture Device. Oddly, it shows up as "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture (Direct Show)".. Weird. So instead, I choose "Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32) (VFW). Then there is a popup window and I have to select the Hauppauge 'Cx23100' device. When I do this, I get the same results as before (Audio capture, but no Video).

I'm going to look around for another capture software, but I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my computer (like drivers or something.) This computer is about a year old, has good specs, and never crashes. I ran a memtest and the memory is good. I've got SSD drives so I don't think there's a bottleneck there. I just wonder what could be wrong, because I'm obviously getting some sort of signal from the Sony Handycam ==> the Hauppauge USB Live 2 ==> VirtualDub and saved on my disk (the audio signal.) Just no video.. yet!

What I am going to do right now is run through the steps I'm taking while doing a screencast, and see if I can post that here. I bet it's hard to help me when you can't see my screen. I'll either edit this post or post the screencast separately.

And thanks to everyone who has written back, even if you're... "passionately discussing" amongst yourselves!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    40 paragraphs to say format as exfat and use guid partitition?
    What good would it do my sister if you simply write format to exfat and use guid partition?

The person asking may not know how to get to disk management and sometimes it is not as simple as reformatting the hard drive to exfat is it? If you are going between Mac and PC using a hard drive that was partitioned on the Mac and one day you want to re-partition the hard drive the Mac will leave an EFI partition. You cannot use Windows Disk Management to delete it. You must use line prompt commands and enter diskpart. Do you need to delete just one partition or or clean the drive? Why don't you watch the video link below and write a closed caption for it and see how many paragraphs it actually takes and you can decide if it is as useful as a video tutorial. I think after watching the video you might admit a video tutorial might be more useful because sometime it is not as easy as reformatting to exfat is it?

https://youtu.be/tziApzSWxF0
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    40 paragraphs would be short given the poster's current form. But we could all do with a good ol' laugh so go ahead and create such a topic.

And buying a camcorder with a s-video output would hardly solve the capture issue. Which is the equipment the OP refers to. And what does posting a pic of some un-named audio equipment help in this topic ?

I posted the pic to prove IEEE Fire Wire is a connection only. It can be used for audio equipment. IEEE Fire Wire is not 4:1:1 color space even though everyone keeps insisting it is. Some IEEE Fire Wire digital cameras do use 4:1:1 color space others can use 4:2:2 and I think the HDV cameras use 4:2:0. IEEE Fire Wire is not a video format nor is Thunderbolt 3 a video format. They are simply i/o connections.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Youtube links are as good as the knowledge of the person making them, I wouldn't take them as a technical guide unless the person is known to be specialized in the field. That particular video shows that the guy knows nothing about video capturing.

As far as me not knowing what I am talking about people can decide for themselves. Having said that why don't you make a demonstration video using your superior method. Enlighten us all rather than focusing your time and energy on me. Would that be more helpful to the forum?

As far as VHS video capture is concerned I do think the ADVC 110 (or any of the IEEE Fire Wire converters) is a good option and I have not seen anyone convince me otherwise. They don't require drivers and it makes them a true plug and play option. With other capture cards people are taking a risk if it will work or not. Also the DV converters do clean up the video signal. I know a lot other capture devices can do the same thing. The DV converters will allow you to playback to a broadcast compliant monitor using Premiere Pro most USB options will not. I hate watching NTSC interlaced video on the computer monitor (most professionals do).

If you want to know truth I spent many years working for the City if Detroit editing on an $80,000.00 Avid Media Composer capturing 3/4" and Betacam tapes that were later played over local cable. If you want the specs it was a Mac based Media Composer and used the Targa 2000 capture card and had a Pinnacle Geni Board to allow for real-time special effects. Since the Mac towers back then only had 4 PCI slots we had a Avid PCI extender and an external Avid RAID system. The Cable Commission had a few DPS Velocity Systems that I also used and the Water Department had a Trinity Play that I also used a couple of times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. You were advised that ending topic replies with a yt link would end with a 'report' to admin.

I will leave it at that for the moment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bokehraton View Post
    Hi, OP here. Holy crap! I didn't know my post would stir up such a... spirited discussion!

I'll try to briefly post what I have tried since my original post:
    1. I tried DScaler but whenever I open it, I get a quick error message and the program closes. Trying to read the message before it disappears, it says something about drivers and the program might not be installed properly. I reinstalled twice, but same thing... so I went back to VirtualDub since I had gotten some result (audio only)
    2. I took the advice of NOT choosing the Hauppauge USB Live 2 as the Capture Device. Oddly, it shows up as "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture (Direct Show)".. Weird. So instead, I choose "Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32) (VFW). Then there is a popup window and I have to select the Hauppauge 'Cx23100' device. When I do this, I get the same results as before (Audio capture, but no Video).

I'm going to look around for another capture software, but I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my computer (like drivers or something.) This computer is about a year old, has good specs, and never crashes. I ran a memtest and the memory is good. I've got SSD drives so I don't think there's a bottleneck there. I just wonder what could be wrong, because I'm obviously getting some sort of signal from the Sony Handycam ==> the Hauppauge USB Live 2 ==> VirtualDub and saved on my disk (the audio signal.) Just no video.. yet!

What I am going to do right now is run through the steps I'm taking while doing a screencast, and see if I can post that here. I bet it's hard to help me when you can't see my screen. I'll either edit this post or post the screencast separately.

And thanks to everyone who has written back, even if you're... "passionately discussing" amongst yourselves!
    I am sorry to read that both of the suggested methods do not work for you since both work for me. I can only think that this a quirk of Win10 since I have remained using Win7.

I am also sorry that you have to read shite from a certain 'helper' who is hardly helping
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That being said I would, at the very least, try the provided WinTV utility. It will not give you best but if that does not work then the issue really is not the capture hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. You were advised that ending topic replies with a yt link would end with a 'report' to admin.

I will leave it at that for the moment.
    Why would a video help forum be opposed to links? I simply demonstrated what might be required to partition and format a hard drive for Mac and PC since some people though it could be done in once sentence. I simply proved that may not be the case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just one comment.

That is topic hijacking. And before you state I challenged you to post that link then I did say for you to start a fresh topic. It has no purpose here.

One other.

Links, as I already mentioned, may well be informative (as long as they belong to the specific topic) - we often see links where someone asks for help and the link illustrates he help he wants. But I, and many others, have seen links which are nothing more than to get views. And if you have monetised your links then they are no better than general spam. I may be wrong but I do not recall a link to answer the question that was raised.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just one comment.

That is topic hijacking. And before you state I challenged you to post that link then I did say for you to start a fresh topic. It has no purpose here.

One other.

Links, as I already mentioned, may well be informative (as long as they belong to the specific topic) - we often see links where someone asks for help and the link illustrates he help he wants. But I, and many others, have seen links which are nothing more than to get views. And if you have monetised your links then they are no better than general spam. I may be wrong but I do not recall a link to answer the question that was raised.

Some one asked about the color space of Fire Wire and S-Video. I did not bring it up on my own. Learn to accept that. I posted a video link to help demonstrate that Fire Wire and S-Video are connections not video formats.

Here is the OP.

He stated he is frustrated. He stated he knows this sort of thing rarely just works after buying two capture devices. It always worked for me until I tried a USB capture card. The link I posted for the S-Video IEEE post should work for the original poster as well. Look at how many people have products with bad drivers, odd aspect rations no audio or audio out of sync etc. I Have never had a DV Converter do that. They are simply plug and play and so is the Fire Wire card. No drivers needed and they work with all the operating systems. People know how to hook up the equipment they come here to find out what works and what does not. The cheap USB devices are hit or miss but the DV converters do work unlike a lot of the other devices. Posting links that demonstrate this should be acceptable. It may not be the best quality but if the goal is to create a DVD or upload to social media a DV converter will work just fine. I see people buy and return USB products where as Fire Wire does just work. If people have better methods and a better capture device they should be encouraged to post video links so people can be enlightened. Isn't that the goal?
    Quote Quote