VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am needing some input for a NAS or RAID system. I have filled my hdd with many videos, photos, etc that I would like to store but have access when needed. I attached an external hdd to my router and moved some things to it. I soon realized that it was continually running and it failed after a few months. Since I am no expert on this topic, what are my options, which is better, I don't need an expensive system but just need something that I can store my files and access them as needed. A system with 2 to 4 TB would do all that I need.
    Would this be an option?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCEAXJW/?coliid=I1PZXISA2ZWWRC&colid=2RUH1SIXQ03XL&psc=0&...v_ov_lig_dp_it

If this is an option, does it matter the type of drives that I use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Would this be an option?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCEAXJW/?coliid=I1PZXISA2ZWWRC&colid=2RUH1SIXQ03XL&psc=0&. ..v_ov_lig_dp_it

If this is an option, does it matter the type of drives that I use?
    it's not a nas(network attached storage) - it is an external hard drive box. if you are looking for an in-expensive actual nas then check qnap, or zyxel. they make 2 drive boxes that you can run in mirrored raid for safe backup.

https://www.amazon.com/Personal-Storage-Remote-Streaming-NAS326/dp/B01BBXMEMQ/ref=sr_1...gateway&sr=8-5
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your input. I will look at these brands.
    When using this NAS, it has a usb for external hdd. When I plug an external drive will it run continually or will it hibernate with the NAS?
    I don't want to ruin another drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used to use the older Zyxel nsa320 in a similar scenario. It would put the external USB drive to sleep after a while. Though I'm not sure if this was a function of the drive or the NAS. It would take about 10 seconds to wake up again.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Mar 2019 at 19:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my zyxel 221 now has 57032 hours powered on with the same 2 samsung 1.5tb drives i put in originally, who knows how many years ago. still works very nicely.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. I am going to go with one of these.
    Quote Quote