VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    From the outset let me make it clear, as a former forum mod (not here BTW) I always fully respect the decisions of the moderators who often work thanklessly.

On the occasions when a post of mine has been deleted I will seek clarification so as not, hopefully, make the same mistake again.

So on to today's business and I note that a topic about recording from UK Channels 4 and 5 was closed. As a UK resident, it puzzles me that the reason for closure of the topic did not exactly ring true. These channels are FTA and financed by general advertising. That they choose to encrypt their streams thus thwart basic recording with standard tools should not, itself, deny discussion. There is no direct subscription. So even if you do not 'subscribe' to any of the advertisements the service is free.

In fact, I have 'form' inasmuch that I totally object to discussion about non-UK residents recording streams from the BBC I-player since although, again, this is FTA there is an underling subscription since every UK resident under a certain age must have a paid-for tv licence even if they never watch any BBC channel.

So I believe clarification is required. Even go as far as, if necessary, that the forum rules are re-worded to avoid such misunderstandings.

Thank you for reading. I'll retire back to my cave now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If everyone in UK can watch them without a login or direct subscription I guess it's okey discuss it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Baldrick.

Just for clarity you do have to log in to watch online for both Channel 4 and Channel 5.

The same now applies for the BBC I-player inasmuch that you do need an 'account' to watch ie log in and quite often you are also asked if you hold a tv licence.

It is not for me to question how non-UK members obtain these accounts.
    Quote Quote