VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I encountered some strange false negatives with the Subtitle Edit 3.5.9 spell checker and started to investigate. One example is an OCR miss of "Friend" being corrected as "Ff lend", which is fine, but I would've expected "Ff" to be caught by the spell checker. I couldn't find it anywhere in my users lists, so I thought it might be in the default en_US dictionary. I stumbled across a post describing how to extract the word list from the en_US.dic and .aff files, and to my surprise, I found "ff" there! While browsing the list, there were many other strange entries such as: ABne, Fs's, Fzes, Fne. Some more googling lead to this post about some 8,000 errors in the Open Office dictionary files.

Has anyone else noticed this and resorted to alternate dictionary files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    ff. is used in a citation to mean "and following pages."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    ff. is used in a citation to mean "and following pages."
    Interesting... I can certainly see how using a more inclusive dictionary serves others purposes well. But my goal is accurate OCR'd subtitles, so a more exclusive dictionary would be much more useful to me. I have a very lengthy regex string that looks for common errors (OCR or otherwise), so I've added [Ff]f to it to work around this.

After seeing some of the entries in en_US, it got me wondering if anyone else has the same concern and have looked to other dictionaries to avoid these issues.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    The problem is using a one-size-fits-all dictionary. Your other examples are legitimate words, too, although they are very unlikely to show up in subtitles.

abne • "Men" or "husbands" in the archaic Gothic language
    fs • symbol for femtosecond (and many others)
    fz • symbol for forzando (music; and many others)
    fze • free zone establishment
    fne • forensic nurse examiner (and many others)
    Quote Quote